LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » First appt with new LLMD...thoroughly confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First appt with new LLMD...thoroughly confused
MayberryNut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MayberryNut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

I am in need of your input. I just called to schedule an appt with a new LLMD. I expected to have to wait for several weeks minimum. To my surprise, the receptionist offered an appt to me tomorrow or Thursday. I grabbed the Thursday appt. I then asked how long the appt was for and she said it was a 45 minute appt. Does this sound right? I was surely expecting an appt longer than this considering the amount of information I have to share with the doc. I definitely don't want to be rushed in and out for my first appt.

I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Will

Posts: 131 | From MD | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider yourself lucky to get appt that fast! If 45 min not enought you can always get another appt.

In my experience its rarely docs ever have appt longer than 45 min. Most of them have 15-20 min follow ups

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is common to have 1-3 hour first appointments with an ILADS LLMD. I'm sure it varies though but I think my first appointment was around 2 hours. Usually fees are high for the first appointment because they take a long time. My follow-up appointments are for 1/2 hour but usually take longer.

I was happy with the time spent because my doctor went over my whole history (many decades), answered ALL my questions, looked through my records (there were MANY) and in general did a very thorough and thoughtful evaluation. As I recall, we were not interrupted.

Maybe they had a cancellation? Is this an ILADS doctor?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first LLMD visit was either an hour or an hour and a half. My follow-up visits are typically 30 minutes.

If you're concerned about getting in all the info you want, I would suggest that you get everything really organized ahead of time. Lists of symptoms, medications, any previous lab results you have. Also, be sure to write out any questions you have. (I tend to forget my questions unless I have them written down.)

The more organized you are, the easier it will be to get through the info and get your questions answered. (Learned through experience!)

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will,

45 min. for 1st appt. does sound short to me too, but looking back ... my very 1st appt. was probably SAME amount of time but he wasn't rushing for the door so i enjoyed every minute i had with him!!

yes, did you get the name from 1 of us here in seeking dr. forum?

as stated above, be prepared, prepare your list of questions MOST IMPORT FIRST leading down to the trivial ones! this way if you can't work it all in, so be it.

i always give ALL my drs. a duplicate of my questions so they have it when dictating their medical notes for my chart.

yes, you lucked out due to a cancellation.

1 of best in midwest had a cancellation lately; newbie gets in new week vs. 1 of others on list!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AnnaL has some very good points. I go with all the info that she mentioned + whatever the doctor wants filled out before the appointment.

I make a copy of the questions for both my doctor and myself with room in between each question so I have a place to write the information that I get under the question. I save the sheet of information with questions and answers in my file for future reference.

It's a good idea to have someone with you who can take notes as well. My husband and I both take notes at every appointment because they are so chock full of info and I can't get it all and answer the doctors questions etc at the same time.

edited to add:
Betty must have been writing at the same time as me. She has some very good points too. As Betty said, very important to write the questions in the order of importance.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a Dr. J, I called for an appt with him for a friend. Got one within a week.

THen, another lymenetter called a few days later and got an appt within a week.

So, that tells you that people aren't lined up to see him by any means.

I was told by his office that he sends blood to Clongen or Quest.

I cancelled the appt. for an unrelated reason.

Then, another lymenetter emailed me another person's recent experience with this doc at their first appt. It was definitely not good. Person left there upset to say the least.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MayberryNut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MayberryNut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is indeed an ILADS doc that was recommended here. This was not a cancellation...I was offered to choose from 3 or 4 appts over the next week, which seemed odd to me. I even told the receptionist that I already had a positive Igenex test and wanted a fresh start with a new doctor.

The last thing I want is to cram all of my information in and walk out with no treatment to help my annoying neurological symptoms (or perhaps the same treatment I've already been on for months). I'm tired of vibrating at night!!!

Posts: 131 | From MD | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MayberryNut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16589

quote:
Originally posted by TF:
If it's a Dr. J, I called for an appt with him for a friend. Got one within a week.

THen, another lymenetter called a few days later and got an appt within a week.

So, that tells you that people aren't lined up to see him by any means.

I was told by his office that he sends blood to Clongen or Quest.

I cancelled the appt. for an unrelated reason.

Then, another lymenetter emailed me another person's recent experience with this doc at their first appt. It was definitely not good. Person left there upset to say the least.

This is Dr. M, who I've heard good things about.
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen Dr. M but I called the nurse practioner that works with him in PA and got in tomorrow...she had a cancelation.

I say take a chance. You will know after talking with him if he is the dr for you or not.

Good luck!

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Dr. M.

I knew he had a NP in PA, but didn't know how it is that they work together.

Does he also see patients up there or just confer with her?

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first appt was 2 hrs and second was 1.5 hrs

I had a huge recent work up neurology and rheumatology and tons of labs so there was alot to sort through. I surely did not feel rushed.

Posts: 207 | From NH | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My appts are long as well. About 2 hrs for the first and 45-60 min follow ups.
Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitty~I'm not sure but I will surely ask tomorrow and let you know!
Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Thanks. I also PM'd you. Good luck tomorrow!
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first LLMD appt. was 1 1/2 hrs. I was brain dead and ready to lay down 30 min into it, after that it was non-productive for me. He had way too much information to share that first go round. 45 min should give the Dr enough time to get the info. Good luck.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fyi, my 2nd llmd 1st visit was 3 hrs. long; way too long and i kept falling asleep during it and especially signing all the 15-18 lab slips with my credit card no. on ... they'd fall to the floor!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

I have to admit, I love that I get a long appt, but I am zoning out at the end of it.

It is exhausting for me, but I get my time rather than being dismissed.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement