LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » dark eye rings.. why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dark eye rings.. why?
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey,

im wondering everytime when im looking in the mirror..
everytime i see this dark eye rings around my eye.. before i got sick, i didnt have dark eye rings.. not a little bit.

what causes this dark eye rings?
my ferritin in blood is ok.. my doc suspect that i have babesia too...

can babesia cause an anemia which u cant see on the normal blood analysis?

i have bart and borrelia.. thats for sure.. and we think babesia too..

greetz

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In kids Dr. J calls them "racoon eyes".

Usually an indicator of Bartonella.

Adults can have this also.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I had them for a year solid and bart positive here. Definitely clearing up a "tad" with treatment but not totally gone.

Dr's said I was "just tired and stressed". They were so bad it was like obvious black patches, not cool.

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called lack of deep restful sleep and stress.

Mine are better when I am going through good periods and worse when I am in a flare.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allergies and dehydration are 2 common causes.
Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bags under the eyes are a common symptom of allergies.

I'm not sure if you're talking about that, or about rings around your eyes.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it comes from just being sick in general, and can't really be traced to once specific infection. It goes away as you get better. Make sure you are well hydrated, get sleep, and also....some MAC under eye cover up!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleBite
Member # 22622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has Panda eyes which I call it. He has lyme, bart and barb. During flares, the rings are burning red, then they cool down and become dark.
Posts: 5 | From Central NJ | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are TERRIBLE. I hate them!!!! They make me look reallllly sick.

Tincup, who told you that they are Bartonella? Was it a certain LLMD?

I have been dying to know what these are. I know groovy2 told me his got better with babesia treatment, but who knows...he could have been killing other infections at the time too, so it's hard to know.

I had a period where I was only on a maintence dose of abx and was feeling somewhat better, and the darkness was better then. So it was either just feeling better, or not being on the antibiotics.

Now that I'm sicker, of course I'm back on tons of drugs, and the dark circles look horrible. So I dunno if it's from the infections or killing off something, or from the drugs we take.

It is not puffiness at all, it is just a very dark pigment under the skin, that makes me look like I'm dying. People notice it.

I would love some kind of explanation. [Frown]

And yes, it does look like a Panda, because it's above and below the eyes.

It seems like children are more likely to have it...but I'm 25. I got very sick when I was 17 though, and got my first bite much younger, though I never had the dark eyes until age 17.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my daughter, when she was 5...she was put on IV abx for three days for a double kidney infection. Then she was on low dose Macrodantin for almost a year because of bladder reflux.

The WHOLE year she had dark circles under her eyes.

Now that she just got diagnosed with chronic Lyme...I put two and two together.

I agree it could be Bart. We have all tested neg. but all of us have symptoms and my LLMD thinks we have it.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this doesn't really answer the original question, but....

My 12 year old son had dark circles under his eyes when he was little...I remember asking the doctor about it, and people would ask me if he had asthma (he did not).

Now that we have finally all been diagnosed with Lyme (and he and his siblings have had it since birth), I understand that his circles have been due to this infection.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Milk, wheat (gluten), corn, soy, eggs, etc. Any of these can also cause this for those with sensitivities.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had them since my youth, and now that I am lyme free, I still have them.

don't think they will ever go away. I believe they are caused by multiple infections and allergies.

My grandmother with asthma had them and I always believed they were hereditary...now I don't.

Would love to know any way to get rid of them as well.

I just use cover-up! Otherwise I get comments about how sick or tired I look.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently noticed that I have dark circles under my eyes. I never had this before I started treating. I am treating for Bart and Lyme now.
Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother sent me a CD with family pictures.
There was a picture of my father in his late teens, it may have been his high school graduation picture.

He has dark circles around his eyes.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siciliano
Member # 15920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siciliano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had this with her eyes years ago

and Dr. called them "allergic shiners" and it

was also due to mild asthma. Don't rule these out.

--------------------
I'm sorry but I am no longer accepting any private messages due to my own battle with lyme.

Posts: 3897 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thyme2heal
Member # 15767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thyme2heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the dark circles, there very noticeable, is there anything we can do??

do creams work??

What is the actual cause of the change in pigment?

Posts: 17 | From All over Maryland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have these and I hate them. they started with my illness. constant reminder that I am walking dead...
Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme2health
Member # 19981

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lyme2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they go away?

I've had them all my life, but this year found out about wheat allergy. I've been gluten free for 6 months, but dark shadows still there.

Posts: 62 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
asus,

That is how I feel about them too. They just add insult to injury with how bad I feel.

It's like, it's not bad enough I feel horrible, I have to get up every morning and be frightened at what I see in the mirror.

It is always a reminder for me.

And I can definitely tell people treat me differently, when I don't cover them. They probably think I'm hung over or something, or someone who has bad hygiene. It's like if you look tired, people assume you don't take care of yourself and are a bum or doing drugs or something.

And sometimes they ARE better, like if I'm feeling better.

I just have a hard time believing that for me they're due to allergies. And if they are, what can you do about it? I mean, I tolerate all foods just fine. No gas, etc. Avoid dust? I have no clue what the solution would be.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the dark circles around the eyes also - add to that bloodshot eyes! My look is tragic, would much rather they look magic.

I used to think I had pretty eyes - this is not a good look for a gentle smile.

Used to get flowers from my lover, now he appologizes while he runs for cover.

Need some shades and a darkened room
Where I can be me again, if only for a while.
-p

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mh i dont think that this has something to do with allergies.. maybe some people have the eye rings, because its inherited.

i havent these until i became ill so i guess it is a symptom... but from which bug? when i or my friends get sick because of a "normal" bacterial infection.. they wont become dark eye rings.

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter that doesn't have Lyme was sick over the weekend and also had circles under her eyes.

My symptoms were pretty mild before treating and I didn't have the circles. Now that I am treating with abx, my symptoms are even milder but I have the circles under my eyes.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooz said... "Tincup, who told you that they are Bartonella? Was it a certain LLMD?"

Yes, Dr. J in CT... and it is a pretty common thing amongst long time LLMD's. In other words.. it has been around a while.

I THINK he even wrote about it at one point in his notes. Don't make me promise I saw it in writing.. but I believe I did.

It was the way we diagnosed kids.. or at least suspected there could be Bart in the mixture years ago.

We had to try to help and try to diagnose kids the "old-fashioned" way back then, especially if funds for tests for the kids were limited.

Another comment- I never had them and I've had allergies.

Then I got sick with Lyme. Didn't have them then.

Then I got sick with Bart and they appeared.

I treated Bart and they went away. Still had allergies and lack of sleep many times.

I relapsed with Bart and they are back.

In other words...

I have had allergies and unrestful sleep.. have had them on and off for years. I didn't notice a connection to the "racoon eyes" when I had the other two problems.

Keep in mind.. a zillion and one doctors have never associated the dark eyes with an infectious disease so they wouldn't know to suspect Bart.

In that case, they could easily blame it on whatever you complain of while there that day.... making their statement make sense at the time.

Or they can blame it on the standard line, a catch all phrase like stress or lack of sleep.

I am not saying everyone with raccoon eyes has Bart... but it is something to suspect, consider and test for if this sign is present.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long did it take them to go away once you started treating for bart and what did you do to treat bart?
Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Tincup,

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a thoughtful reply! Gave a lot of good info there.

It is always interesting to hear what other LLMD's are saying!

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey to Ann Arbor, MI...

You said.. "How long did it take them to go away once you started treating for bart and what did you do to treat bart?"

Truth?

I can't remember exactly when they went away (the exact day or month it happened) as I treated for Bart for about 18 months... most of it a maintenance dose.

My thought is.... it was several months.. possibly 4-6... after treatment started.

They faded out slowly, so it wasn't a sudden "POOF, they are gone" type of thing.

Back then, early 1990's, the only thing we knew to use to treat Bart with, was Doxy.

It had been tested in the little dishes by one of our labs doing research and the Doxy Bart did the job on the Bart.

Hope that helps.

[Big Grin]

Hey Hooz...

You are very welcome.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have alarming dark circles [and the inner 'sides' of the eye are dark grey too] and rather bloodshot, unhealthy-looking whites of eye.

For a special occasion, I use eye drops for the whites, but concealer patted over the dark parts is the first thing I do when putting on make-up. It makes a big difference to the morale !

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

up
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with tincup as I have read the same things that it is associated with bart especially with children. I remember a pic of a group of lyme patients at a retreat several years ago and they were making comments about all the raccoon eyes they had.
Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOWzahs! I've had these since becoming infected and have never heard about the association with Bart. *lightbulb*
Thanks for this post.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

I still have mine. I am thinking it's Bart or Babs, since not all Lymies have them.

I dunno.

I would be soooo glad if they went away. Something recent was making them better. I think it was Levaquin. But I had to stop it due to tendon issues. Now they are really bad again.

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Allergic Shiners" is what they are called by doctors who know allergies. Allergies usually affect absorption causing leaky gut followed by misery until the allergies are corrected. see
Allergie Immun thread.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

i didnt hear of people that u get some raccoon eyes when u are allergic.

in my case.. im allergic too and had asthma for several years.. i NEVER had raccoon eyes... that symptom occured 1-2 months after i got sick with lyme

jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took allergy shots for years and my allergies cleared up. Guess what the "allergic shiners" underneath my eyes never did clear up even though my allergies did. They do fluctuate though.
Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirk
Member # 24483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANK YOU FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION! I have had this development for the past 3 or 4 months. Must be Lymes or Bab related, I test negative for bart.

I've read that dehydration can cause this so i've been drinking excessively and i think i notice a slight improvement.

I have also developed allergies since all this happened ( never had'em in my life).

Posts: 41 | From astoria, new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

up [Smile]
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

up 4 mo
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like some people are misunderstanding the "dark circles" or "eye rings" description.

"Raccoon eyes", "eye rings", or dark "circles" means completely around the eye, not just underneath.

I developed the *under eye* dark bags when I was about 12 or 13. Various doctors have called them allergic shiners, which is probably true in my case. It is just dark bags UNDER my eyes though.

However, I also have tons of symptoms of Bart, even though I tested negative for it. I have never had the dark circles (never had it ABOVE my eyes).

It sounds to me like some people with Bart get these rings around their eyes, but not all.

I have read somewhere (forget at the moment) that it can be a symptom of Bartonella, but I'm not sure if can also be caused by Borrelia or Babesia, or any other tick-borne infections that aren't talked about here as often, or studied as frequently.

I wonder if they can also be caused by opportunistic infections.

Just wondering aloud.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have slightly dark circles under my eyes that I never had before. I thought it was just stress. I have to use concealer now. :/

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been intrigued by this chart which talks about dark circles and other facial discoloration and a possible connection to thyroid or adrenal issues (very common in Lyme Disease):
http://www.drrind.com/Default.aspx?PageID=1492341&A=SearchResult&SearchID=526252&ObjectID=1492341&ObjectType=1

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had them my whole life so can't blame them on the bartonella. Vitamin K is supposed to help as it helps with bruising. There is a cream you can buy with vitamin K to put under your eyes. I forgot the name of it but it is very expensive.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

i have spoken with some german people and 1 of them said, that he never saw so much dark eye circles else where as on the lyme conference in germany lol ... first i thought it is a bartonella or babesia sign, but now i believe it could be some detox issue too

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement