LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question for Dr. House....do we have any diagnosticians on line??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Dr. House....do we have any diagnosticians on line??
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having the strangest symptoms for the last 4 days. My ears are burning like crazy and they are beet red. Along with that seems some other very unrelated symptoms. I feel like I have been riding a roller coaster and the roller coaster feeling is still with me. Trouble is, I never rode a roller coaster.

I just have this lightheadedness, ear buzzing, nausea, headachey....none of them severe enough to stop me from moving around the house, but does scare me enough thinking that I will fall from the dizziness.

I am sure this sounds familiar to others and there are probably several answers. I only added 1 new medicine, I took it one night and stopped since I felt like this, but I think by now it would have been gone if it was from the medicine.

Any ideas??
Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you spoken with your LLMD?

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the new med?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Carol,

Thanks so much for that post. Good information to know.
--

Ginger can be both anti-inflammatory and also stop vertigo and nausea in its tracks.

Whether you need to call your doctor tonight is your call. However, in light of what Carol posted, I think you need to talk with him/her tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, even if just from your kitchen spice cabinet, you might make some ginger tea. Capsules would be best but a tea is probably what you can come up with. And/or a tsp of turmeric from your spice jar, mix with a little water to a paste and them add more water and just drink.

The curcumin in turmeric is anti-inflammatory and may help ease symptoms a bit. It is not stimulating, however, the ginger can be somewhat stimulating in nature so go easy on that as it's nearly midnight in your time zone (and I hope you are sleeping well).

Good luck.

================

"ear buzzing" is called tinnitus:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will mention, that it is possible that it is a herx.

My ears went bright red during the first three herxes I experienced, as well as my cheeks.

That said, it is important **not** to be your own physician, or try to play "House" using this forum.

If you are concerned, which clearly you are, you need to go to the doctor, or emergency if you feel your concerns are more pressing.

I would trust your judgment - and respond as though this group doesn't exist.

--------------------

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do we have any diagnosticians on line??

I would venture to say NO-however there are many who make educated guesses.

Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/conf2007/burrascano1/img27.html

DR B says:Lymphocytoma (Hot red tender ear, may also involve the nipple, Site of active infection with B. burgdorferi

If this link works you can see a picture in his slide show.

KA

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Wow! That looks just like what I happened to me!

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
JR,

We all know that no one here can make a diagnosis. I took the headline to be a conversational sort of phrase calling for some quick suggestions but from those who had a little energy to give it some thought.

Yes, educated guesses as well as our similar experiences are shared, and there is one nurse who did answer. I'm sure no poster puts too much into any one reply. We're all just trying to help. In fact, often "call your doctor" is suggested.
-

[ 10-19-2009, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six,

New med was Ambilify.

JR....my post was really just put out their to ask for input. I didn't really think there was a Dr. House lurking in our group, but...I sure wish he was!! I know that many of you have been battling lyme longer than I have!!

Really, I am scared I am going to bother my LLMD or my PCP with something ridiculous and they may no longer take my main problems to heart. Like the fatigue and joint pain. I know that sounds crazy, but I want to impede on their time when I have REAL trouble, and if it gets bad enough, I will call my LLMD or go to the ER, and trust me, the thought went through my head last night.

I would just like to be able to try to do some little things on my own, like the ginger and tumeric, which are good ideas, thank you Keeb!!

Carol...wow, I am always learning something new, that is scary!!

Bigstan........That is exactly what my ears looked like, but they might have been redder than that!! The feel like they will burst into flames any minute!!

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I could find nothing with a search of "Ambilify"

Do you mean Abilify ?
-

If so, since that is a medicine that does not address lyme itself, if you are having that kind of reaction, you should contact your doctor and I sure would not take it again. That's just my opinion, of course. Do what you think is best.

Lyme patients often react much differently to many medicines and are very sensitive to them. From all the ear doctors I've seen (and that's been many) every single one says that if a non-essential medicine triggered tinnitus to stop it immediately and stay off of it.

A quick search does link Ability directly with tinnitus. I am also very concerned that you also had the degree of other vestibular (inner/middle ear) side-effects.

I had severe damage to my vestibular system from an antidepressant, Effexor. That is what triggered the tinnitus and hyperacusis - back in 1993. My ears have not been the same since.

I kept trying to get used to the side effects - for about a month. I should have listened to that voice - or ringing - in my head and stopped immediately. This is what an ear doctor told me years later about that - that others were really messed up by it, too, with severe tinnitus. That doctor also told me some of his patients had the same reaction to xanax. I had tried Xanax before the Effexor so he thought it might have also played a part. Although xanax is often prescribed to help calm tinnitus, in some patients, it has the opposite effect.

I have since found other things that helped to balance mood that were not toxic to my ears: Magnesium, Fish Oil, Gotu Kola, etc. -- more about that in the Tinnitus thread, linked in a post above.

Are you taking good liver support? If you continue on this, liver support is vital. It may not be enough to change the side-effects but it's a start.

======================

Abilify is the brand name for Aripiprazole

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Aripiprazole, side-effects - 691 abstracts

----------
Two of those:

J Med Case Reports. 2009 Mar 10;3:6448.

Development of Parkinsonism following exposure to aripiprazole: two case reports.

Lua LL, Zhang L.

Department of Neurology, University of California Davis School of Medicin

Excerpt:

CONCLUSIONS: While aripiprazole has been associated with infrequent extrapyramidal side effects, these cases raise concerns that its chronic exposure may lead to D2 receptor hypersensitivity and/or dysfunction and subsequent development of a syndrome mimicking idiopathic Parkinson's disease.

With the available atypical neuroleptics becoming widely used in treating psychotic symptoms associated with a broad range of disorders, we advise closer monitoring due to their potential for inducing Parkinsonism.
--

"D2 receptor hypersensitivity" means the dopamine receptors in the brain can go a bit haywire, so to speak.

=========

Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2009;51(10):761-5.

Aripiprazole and acute dystonia. [Komen G, Van Den Eede F, Dom G]

The case of a patient who developed acute dystonia during treatment with aripiprazole prompted us to review the literature for reports on similar cases. From the literature we conclude that aripiprazole has a favourable profile as far as extrapyramidal side effects are concerned.

However, the reports on extrapyramidal side effects in the literature may be incomplete. It is therefore still important that such cases are reported within the framework of post-marketing surveillance.

PMID: 19821245

------------

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm

Dystonia is a neurological movement disorder in which sustained muscle contractions cause twisting and repetitive movements or abnormal postures. . . .
-

[ 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree with Keebler's advice that since it's not a Lyme drug, I would be concerned it's a bad side-effect. I recommend calling your doctor.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeb,

Yes, it was Abilify, sorry.

We just got through a money crisis and we lost our house because when I applied for SS benefits it took so long to get approved that everything that didn't keep us alive, I did buy or pay for. So, no I am not taking liver support. I would like to find someone who specializes in creating a vitamin protocal that is specifically designed for me. I am already taking so many pills that I had cut out most vitamins...I know, shame shame.

I get scared with supplements that I might be taking stuff I don't need. And trying to space them out with medications and paying for them was becoming costly. Please tell me the one best supplement for my liver.

We don't have a true naturopathic doctor here. All the health food stores have a "doctor" but they just want you to buy as much stuff as they can pawn off on you.

I take calcium and mag because it keeps me regular, along with proboitics and right now I am doing the Dr. Natura cleanse. I feel in my heart that I need thyroid and adrenal support but knowing which product is the best and most easily absorbed takes so much research and I only have a little time during the day that my brain can absorb information.

Thanks guys, thanks a bunch!!

Shalome

Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk Thistle is good.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phosphatidyl Choline
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon soaks and epsom baths. Whole big lemon, cut in half, rub all over while soaking. Your skin will feel great for a couple of days. Get ears, back neck, all.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, at least one House show medical advisor is anti-chronic lyme so House may not do you much good [Wink]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Pinelady,

Never heard of the lemon soaks, sounds yummy! I love lemon.

Lymeorsomething,

Oh, no. I love House. They had a tick paralysis case last week. I was sooo excited!!

Shalome

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting post and symptom (unfortunately). Occasionally, I do herx with antibiotics which I take every 2-3 months -- and one or both of my ears get hot and red.

I never had this symptom before in my life. Now, I attribute it to "deep" antimicrobial cleansing, made possible by:

Benicar ( 3 years now);
Antibiotic combinations (2.5 years);
Other antimicrobials (many types this year);
Enzymes (many types this year).

I hate to think that one of the cranial nerves (or vasculature) that innervate/supply the ear is infected with Bb, but that's my conclusion... right or wrong.

I'm just glad I am on the right track. This stuff is too challenging!

[bonk]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG that house show is ridiculous.

Regarding ear flushing, have you been checked for babesiosis?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Negetive for babs, but I know that is not a reliable test either. However, I don't have the nights sweats and air hunger that others mention. Buuuutttt, I am not getting better after a year either. Do you think I should try a round of babs meds?? Do you herx with it like you do with lyme meds?

Shalome

trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The red ear thing..

I thought it was a food allergy but now I am getting it ALOT during my recent herxes.

My left ear will get very hot and flushed and when I feel sick it happens more.

I don't know for sure whether it is indeed a food allergy,lyme herx or maybe both but I do get it alot more lately,

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement