LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bartonella or drug anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bartonella or drug anxiety
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what is causing what. I feel almost mentally ill right now. I have a huge amount of anxiety. I have been on rifampin for over a month and zithro for a couple of weeks. A lot of things happened to set off the anxiety and I think things are under control so I hope I will feel better soon. Can these drugs intensify the depression, anxiety etc that comes with bartonella? I also get very confused trying to follow intense problems. I have a problem even remembering what happened and I have a feeling of being completely out of it like I don't know what is real. I always herx around the full moon but I have never had such an emotional herx that left me feeling so nutty.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey neff...

You are not alone with the "emotional herx" thing... and that is exactly how I describe it.

I hear of this reaction quite a bit and have experienced it myself in years past. It is NOT a good feeling and is very upsetting.

I can not advise you on drug reactions, but if that is ruled out by a doctor... you could be looking at a Bart herx.

Not too long ago I had what I would describe as an "out of body" type deal for a couple of minutes.

Doc said.. without a moments hesitation... classic Bartonella.

So I can't diagnose or give medical advise.. but I can say this isn't totally abnormal to experience these things.

Hang in there and know once this clears... you could be ALMOST as normal as me!

Now THAT'S a scary thought, eh?

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane S
Member # 22586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun,

My anxiety began when I started treatment with Doxi in the beginning. It has remained at different levels thru my treatent of 5 months now.

I had to go of all abx for about 4 weeks and no anxiety after about 2 weeks off. Just started Flagyl yesterday after break and guess what I feel the anxiety coming back.

I try to take natural supplements to help this but really need the xanax I take to get under control. When it was bad my local PC added Buspar and it did take the edge off. You may need to take meds to help with anxiety. Since we are all different you may need to try different forms of natural or prescription.

I went off the Buspar during my break and was fine. Now I may need to go back on or try the natural route for a while.

I have decided that the abx treatment brings out my anxiety. With out abx I don't have anxiety most times.

Talk to you DR and get on something natural or pres to help you thru it. It is probably due to the abx and the lyme.

GOod Luck

Posts: 44 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for you input. I have been going from one extreme to the other emotionally. Unfortunately I started abx when one of my cats got very sick and after a month's time he had to be put to sleep so that increased the anxiety. Now there is another issue that worries me. I seem to get locked into the anxiety and worry. My depression is more like being numb to what is good.
I forgot St. John's Wort helps me and the LLMD said it was ok to use so I will try that.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

PS . . . . like your humor tincup. but you see I didn't respond at first. It had to sink in that I could lighten up for a moment.

--------------------

StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StopTheItchPlz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi nefferdun. This may sound silly but it seemed to help me when my anxiety was out of control. Try drawing or writing. Having a pen in hand really helped to 'ground' me when I felt out of it. Just draw or write whatever comes to you. It helps get out some anxiety and helps to calm you. Know that you are not alone & it will pass. Good luck to you XO
Posts: 50 | From Midwest | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here started Rif/zith for Bart and I click between extreme anxiety & crippling depression I am told it is very much bartonella related/herx. Anxiety through the roof then crushing depression an emotional rollercoaster
Posts: 52 | From Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I am glad to know this is a herx and not just me getting worse because the drugs are not working. I went to a painting lesson this morning and it was mesmerizing stoptheitch. When i was first really really sick I spent hours painting and it really helps my mind to let go of the anxiety. I am glad you reminded me to keep at it. I have not done anything for a couple of months - until this morning. And I actually learned something, didn't just enjoy the mess of creation! I was feeling pretty hopeless until you mentioned the meditative healing art brings. It does not matter if the results are actually something you want to hang on your wall. It just calms me and when I leave it, providing I did it without the "performance anxiety", I can see the beauty of the world that I tend to just ignore.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement