LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Exercise and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise and Lyme
mallory
Member # 23364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mallory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can INTENSE exercising make lyme worse...?

--------------------
College Student
Suspected tick bite: 07/2007
Diagnosed and started treatment: 01/10

Posts: 33 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intense exercising can raise the body temp. High body temp can kill bacteria. In the case of Lyme, a die-off of bacteria could make you feel worse.

Read the Dr. B guidelines at www.ilads.org in the treatment section. He talks about exercise and how it's necessary (as you are able) for recovery.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would shy away from intense excercise. You're body needs all the energy it can get to fight infection. You don't want to burn it all up running or doing the stairmaster. Staying as physically active as your disease allows is a good thing - intense, strenuous excercise is not.

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your premorbid state also has something to do with it.

If you did not engage in intense activity prior to getting lyme then now probably is not the time to begin any intense exercise.

However, if you were an endurance athlete prior to getting lyme then a few miles of running may be in your wheelhouse.

I tend to do 50% of what I FEEL I can do. I am use to running long distances so for me to do 4 or 5 miles on a "good" day actually helps me. I will feel a bit "herxy" afterwards but I am sure to be careful the next few days..

Best bet is to listen to your body and see how it response but IMO, starting easy and slow is always a good thing! TG

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LizaLu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizaLu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be a dancer--i began dancing intensively with a hula school (no laughs--its not the coconut bra type o' thing). But anyways, after a year, i had lost weight and started to get more dizzy and imbalanced and memory issues. To the point where i couldnt dance, or barely walk and i would nearly pass out everyday. TOXINS!

This was how i got my Lyme dx. The exercise altho good at the time, filled my body with soo many toxins, i was told i was brain damaged by a Neurologist.

However, i had chronic Lyme by this point (at least for 8 years i figure and didnt know it). But because I exercised i think that's why my immune system started kicking out antibodies.

I had 3 positive ELISA's and for late-stage neurological Lyme, i feel the only reason that happened was because i was kicking out soo many toxins, and restructuring my body/muscles/tissues that my body finally recognized the infection.

Would i do it now---knowing i have lyme. uhhh no.

Anything but aerobic exercise is what Burrascano recommends. From where i came from--i agree. Weight lifting and yoga, uggg boring...

Posts: 123 | From Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mallory
Member # 23364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mallory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LizaLu,

Do you think exercise was one way that you finally noticed your symptoms of lyme...

...I don't know if that question quite makes sense, but I am a competitive swimmer and I feel the most "not like myself" when swimming with weird fatigue, combined with not being able to breath and chest pain.

--------------------
College Student
Suspected tick bite: 07/2007
Diagnosed and started treatment: 01/10

Posts: 33 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experience as a competitve runner/ triathlete and having lyme off and on since 2004 I would answer yes to your quesiton.

One of the first things to get effected for me is my endurance and ability to train and compete. Gerneralize fatigue is huge for me, as is post exercise fatigue. I have mostly neuro symptoms at this point.

However, I believe as well as my LLMD, that being a runner/endurance athlete has actually helped me all these years - especially during the times when I was not in tx. His thoery is that my training helped to create a herx and keep the nasty buggers at bay. Really though who knows.

Of course it did get to a point where I became over loaded and too sick to train or race - like currently.

Hope you are able to find a balance of exercise that is right for you. TG

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Trigal2, I was a competitive runner as Lyme and friends hit. One issue that came up early in my illness, well before I knew it was Lyme, was that I noticed that I did't sleep well on the nights after intense workouts (light sleep, frequently up to urinate, sweats). At the time, I attributed it to overtraining syndrome.

Poor post-exercise sleep is still a problem for me; whenever I work out even semi-hard, I can just write off a good night's sleep that night. Anyone else have this prob?

--------------------
Increasingly ill over past 10 yrs; treating since October '08.

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Hey landerss;

Yes, I do get that post exercise poor sleep issue. I was treating for lyme in the summer - felt better for a month and then got bit - gee I don't even know how many times.

Sick again and on Biaxin. I am well enough to do some EASY running but even with the easy effort of a few miles I find that night I do not sleep well and wake up alot with some sweats and frequent urination (maybe cuz I drink alot prior to going to bed) and some generalized buzzyness in my body - like I have a million electrical bugs running through my arms and legs.

I do find 2 days post exercise I sleep really well and generally feel better. TG

Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queenie Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All.....
I have Late Stage Lyme of the Central Nervous System....the only exercise my body can tolerate is in a warm water pool at 93 Degrees....it is the best!.....Warm Water Pools are hard to come by, but, I would highly recommend it....I learned some of the exercises through previous physical therapy in the pool as well as a seniors warm water aquatics class I took a few years back...I also just make up my own exercises...as long as I am moving that all that counts!

Posts: 59 | From NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trigal2, thanks so much for your affirmation of the post-exercise sleep problem, although I'm sorry you suffer from it, as well.

But you're right, night 2 after exercise is much better in terms of sleep!

I'll take it as a sign I'm truly improving when moderately hard exercise doesn't equate to sleep problems any more...

Feel better, everyone!

--------------------
Increasingly ill over past 10 yrs; treating since October '08.

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercise has been a lifesaver for me, both mentally and physically.

It's hard sometimes, especially when I have Lyme-fatigue. But if I continue my workout, even when I'm not doing the best, I come out ahead. In general, I definitely feel better because of all the more intense cardio exercise I've done. Long live the elliptical! (which I always use because of my joint issues.

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement