LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin and Doxy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin and Doxy?
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw my LLMD recently and I came back highly positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

I am already on 2.4 mil of Bicillin weekly for Lyme (only a month in) and he wants me continue the Bicillin and add 300mg of Doryx or Doxy for the RMSF.

I was treated with about 6 months of 200mg of Doxy a year ago (with zith) but I guess it was not a high enough dosage to do the job, so now I have chronic RMSF (I am guessing since 02').

I am very concerned about this mix however because I have read that Doxy interferes with Penicillin absorption. He said that study is not a good one and he has plenty of patients on Doxy and Bicillin.

Anyone on Bicillin and Doxy or Doryx?

Thanks for any feedback. I have alot of irregular heartbeats so am extra concerned. Also don't want to have to repeat Bicillin protocol.

Thanks!

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone?
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are much more likely to interfere with each other if done in small doses I have read.

Many LLMd's use Tetra/Penicillin combo's.

My LLMd recommended it, but I have an extremely hard time on Doxy.

Bicillin for a month is unusual, but I am sure he has his reasons. Usually Bicillin will not show really good improvement for months and Dr. Burrascano recommends it for at least 6 months. My doctor wants me back on it for a year.

My son did both, Doxy first high dose for 6-7 months killing the co-infections and then finished off treatment with about 8 months of Bicillin. Worked great that way.

[ 01-01-2010, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Thanks. I am only 1 month into the Bicillin treatment. Will most likely be doing it for 6 mos to a year or as long as my behind can stand it!

Thanks for the reply.

joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on bicillin (1.2mu twice a week)for fourteen months and I took doxy (200mg twice a day) for about six months while on bicillin.

It was a very good combo for me and I made a lot of progress on it.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Ok, thanks.
SpottedRocky
Member # 11970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpottedRocky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have chronic RMSF too. I'm still testing IGG and IGM postive for it after two years and a half years of treatment. I did the doxy for about a year and half and it made me feel so

sick all the time i ended up quiting I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. I gained alot of improvement on amoxicillin and I just quit that to start bicillin. If the bicillin and doxy combo works for you let me know.

Posts: 37 | From Ohio | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SpottedRocky,

I felt the same as you on Doxy. Horribly sick all the time, and it didn't really seem like a defined herx. After giving it a lonnnng time, I finally just decided to stop it, and I didn't make progress on it.

Then, like you, I saw good improvements on Amoxicillin (high doses).

So I'm on Bicillin now. So far I'm liking it. It is definitely something you should plan on dedicating 6 months to a year to though. Because it seems to work slowly.

I read in that new book with the 13 Lyme Literate doctors, one doctor said that patients with a lot of coinfections usually do horribly if they are put on Doxy first, because the kill off is way too much for them, and so basically it is just not productive.

On the other hand, (if I am remembering what he said correctly...don't want to put words in the author's mouth) people that just have Lyme usually will do better on Doxy.

When I read that, I was like...."Well THAT explains my first year of treatment!" Which went horribly (was on Doxy). And I was positive for babesia and bartonella henselae (later on).

What's weird is that I did okay on Minocycline. But I took it after I had done some things to treat the co's. But I'm not sure the co's were totally under control at that point.

Sorry Myco...I have no clue what the best thing to do would be. I guess you could try it, and if you feel like you're not making progress with the Bicillin because of it, you could always stop one, and go back to it later.

Or you could just stay on the Bicillin, and add the Doxy, and then when you're done with Doxy, still stay on Bicillin, and keep on the Bicillin for awhile afterwards, so you would know you were getting some time on Bicillin without the Doxy.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Yes, it seems complicated. My IGG titers for RMSF were high enough to indicate I still had an active infection. I thought I had taken enough Doxy (but the dosage was not higher than 200mg) but apparently not.

I don't think Bicillin alone will treat RMSF. Seems Doxy is the only choice for it. I also did Azith and RIfampin and wonder if that hit it.

Guess I will have to add the Doxy to the Bicillin at 300-400mgs and see what happens.

After 6 shots of Bicillin I feel much better. Day after shot is worse, then I just feel better and better.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement