LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Porcine thyroid available anywhere??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Porcine thyroid available anywhere??
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thyroid was removed a number of years ago.Recently my LLMD said that I needed to use porcine thyroid instead of Synthroid. Our pharmacist said it is just not available...anywhere!

We will probably wind up at a new endocrinologist's office. After thyroid was removed I gained a lot of weight...I had always been on the skinny side. The weight stays on even though I have no appetite and live mostly on protein shakes. The doc says my thyroid is out of whack.

Anyone have some suggestions? I would greatly appreciate your input!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gf from Systemic Formulas. www.systemicformulas.com

Thyroiden from Inno-Vita.
www.inno-vita.com
[woohoo]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I just now found the thread on thyroid. Sorry to be repetitive. Will post if I learn anything new.

--------------------

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always try T3 only. It's a little trickier to manage in terms of dosing and dosing schedule but it will thwart any conversion issues.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Actually that's what I am doing....taking both T3 and T4. And it is difficult to manage that way.

--------------------

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant strictly T3, but I have used a Cytomel/Synthroid combo in the past.

The natural thyroid meds are often looked upon as the panacea of thyroid issues but not all respond to them well. I know I didn't.

The Cytomel/Synthroid combo can work as long as you find the correct ratio for your body. You don't want too much of that T4 converting to RT3.

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
granniela
Member # 17134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for granniela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women's International Pharmacy is compounding it. They are easy to work with by mail/fax/phone. www.womensinternational.com phone 800-279-5708
Posts: 67 | From the state of Lyme | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

IME your glands will get lazy if you take hormones. Their hormone production will decrease.
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nutri-Meds sells the whole porcine gland. It is both T3 and 4 and probably the other T's. I tried this for a while after the new armour formulation failed.

However, it turns out I have a conversion problem and am now on sustained release T3 and think it is looking like maybe the solution. The RT3 numbers were going up but I was still symptomatic on previous regimens. The hitch is that it is hard to find people who understand thyroid and will know what to try. The same meds do not work for everyone. Plus, I am now having to use a compound pharmacy which is expensive.

[ 01-16-2010, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: lou ]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

lou - do you still have your thyroid ?
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, still have thyroid. Hypo runs in family. My poor niece had all sorts of unnecessary medical interventions except the one she really needed - treatment for low thyroid function.

Also have anti-thyroid antibodies. Current nurse practitioner who is helping me with this says the treatment I am on usually results in lower RT3 and anti-thyroid antibody numbers.

So, since lyme affects thyroid function and I already had family history, this looks like double whammy.

And, massman, my thyroid was lazy before it got any supplementation.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

There are many lazy thyroids. Thx
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up please!

Re: natural dessicated thyroid:

1. Nature Throid/Westhroid:

Nature Throid 1 grain tablets backorder shipments are now being filled. New prescriptions can be filled by many pharmacies but will take a little longer b/c the backlog prescriptions are being filled first.

For people on Medicare or Medicaid or w/out insurance, Nature Throid may be an affordable option that is both available at their local pharmacy or PBM and covered by their insurance/PBM

2. Armour thyroid:
Armour Thyroid was apparently reformulated last winter-early spring. There were reports of apparent problems with the reformulated Armour thyroid (natural desicated thyroid,porcine dervived). It would appear that the reformulated Armour Thyroid is no longer avaialable

3. Compounded equivalant to natural desiccated Armour Thryoid:

A large wholesaler to many compounding pharmacies made thyroid USP porcine derived powder available to their compounding pharmacies. The drug formula for Armour Thyroid....the detailed drug recipe that also appears to have been made available.

The availablity of BOTH the USP Thyroid powder procine dervived and the drug formula means that a compounded equivilant version of Armour Thyroid may be available from compounding pharmacies.

If you have insurance, you would want to check to see whether or not the compounding pharmacy participates with your insurance company, and whether or not your prescription benefit manager (PBM)requires you to use their compounding pharmacy (if they have one).

The International Association of Compounding Pharmacies has a page on their website that can help you find a compounding pharmacy:

http://www.iacprx.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lookup_survey

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up please!

Re: natural desiccated thyroid:

Add to previous post Nature Throid- there are some new prescription drug edits by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services- CMS- that may or may not impact Medicare part D poliyholder's ability to get Nature Throid authorized and covered by Medicare Part D plan sponsors.

Also, many other medicines may also be impacted by the CMS Medicare D edits. Unfortunately, no one seems to know or be able to produce a list of the medicines and brands if generic that would likely be edited and not available to Medicare part D policyholders.

1. Nature Throid/Westhroid:

Nature Throid 1 grain tablets backorder shipments are now being filled. New prescriptions can be filled by many pharmacies but will take a little longer b/c the backlog prescriptions are being filled first.

For people on Medicare or Medicaid or w/out insurance, Nature Throid may be an affordable option that is both available at their local pharmacy or PBM and covered by their insurance/PBM

2. Armour thyroid:
Armour Thyroid was apparently reformulated last winter-early spring. There were reports of apparent problems with the reformulated Armour thyroid (natural desicated thyroid,porcine dervived). It would appear that the reformulated Armour Thyroid is no longer available

3. Compounded equivalant to natural desiccated Armour Thryoid:

A large wholesaler to many compounding pharmacies made thyroid USP porcine derived powder available to their compounding pharmacies. The drug formula for Armour Thyroid....the detailed drug recipe that also appears to have been made available.

The availablity of BOTH the USP Thyroid powder procine dervived and the drug formula means that a compounded equivilant version of Armour Thyroid may be available from compounding pharmacies.

If you have insurance, you would want to check to see whether or not the compounding pharmacy participates with your insurance company, and whether or not your prescription benefit manager (PBM)requires you to use their compounding pharmacy (if they have one).

The International Association of Compounding Pharmacies has a page on their website that can help you find a compounding pharmacy:

http://www.iacprx.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lookup_survey

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

If you heal the glands in most cases you will not need the drugs or tests.

Pretty radical I know but I have had patients that have done that well.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
massman,

That's what I'm currently doing : )

I'm terrified to go down the synthetic route.

Supplements + diet for me : )

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For those searching all over:

Always be sure to ask a top representative at the company (and then confirm from an outside source) about the environment in which their pigs have been raised and how they've been treated, including their diet, lodging and exercise protocols.

This matters a great deal.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

And specifically what brands of white wine they drink.
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lolol
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamieL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
massman,

so how do we heal the thyroid gland?

I'm all ears.

--------------------
Diagnosed with :yme and mycoplasma pneumonia Aug 08.
Treating with Doxy and Ceftin ever since. 15 sessions in hyperbaric o2 chamber

Posts: 183 | From all around | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

jamie,

First you address the adrenals.

There are many things people do to "heal" the thyroid.

Iodine (kelp), selenium, Vit A, combo vitamins
Diet is important. Exercise.

I've even heard of Yoga for Thyroid (all about getting blood flow to neck/thyroid)

Bag of ice on thyroid (helps activate it)

jamieL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, canefan.

How to you help the adrenals?

I did the saliva test a few years ago and my results indicated that I was not making enough adrenalin/cortisol in the a.m. which explains why I often cannot get out of bed.

And then I was making about ten times the normal amount by the afternoon and into the evening.

My dr at the time called it "stress."

That explains why I'm a night owl.

Then they crashed again late at night which explains why when I'm ready for bed, I'm really, really ready to go bed and no one had better stand in my way!

So do I have adrenal fatigue based on those results?

I am making cortisol, just not enough at times and too much at others.

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From all around | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Actually T3-only therapy purportedly "heals" the thyroid when used in context of the Wilson protocol.

Some of the docs involved suggested that antibodies against thyroid peroxidase were significantly reduced after treatment.

This is based on anecdotal evidence but is intriguing in that many patients (even those previously hypothyroid) did not need continued hormone replacement after an appropriate number of T3 cycles.

In fact, the same theory is often applied to the treatment of adrenal fatigue by way of cortisol replacement.

It is thought that such treatment allows the involved organ to rest so-to-speak as it is not called upon to churn out an endless stream of hormones.

Some people will occasionally report a hormone rebound after ceasing exogenous sex hormone replacement as the body will try to keep pace with treatment levels.

So hormone replacement is not necessarily evil. It can provide a good crutch for weak glands and give them a window to heal.

Though important, nutrition alone will not give the gland a window to heal. The gland will still be called upon to deliver a steady dose of hormones and if the body is very stressed things just break down despite our best efforts.

So sometimes hormone replacement is the best thing you can do.

--------------------

massman
Unregistered

jamieL - I guess you wade through all the input and experiences on this site. That is what most seem to do.

What apparently does not matter is having lots of training + experience in endocrinology. Actually determining Where the primary problem is (which specific gland(s) and what is probably causing it should also be ignored.

And some here highly recommend diagnosing + treating yourself as ALL docs + practitioners are clueless or money hungry. Or both.

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc just wrote a script for Liothyroxine (T3) to replace the Armour Thyroid that I can no longer find. He said he doesn't like Synthroid and prefers to rx only the T3. I'm a little nervous about this because Armour seemed to work so well for me.

Any comments or ideas?

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The canadian Thyroid was bought by Erfa, and they have the good old old Armour formula, before any of the reformulations. Lots of people on forums ahve gotten ahold of Thyroid from Canada.

You have to order it from canadian pharmacies or from Erfa, and they are usually in bottles of 500. 2 grain tablets are probably cheapest.

You can read more here about compounded meds or Thyroid from erfa or Nature-throid:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Natural-Thyroid/121680434089?ref=ts

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, if people have antibodies, they destroy the thyroid eventually and you need to suppleement.

No patients on the thyroid forums have ever gotten off thyroid hormones successfully, at least I cannot remember any.

In case of cfs or lyme, the problem is also on the receptor, and with the cytokines from illenss or infection (like lyme or other things) that lower TSH.

And, iodine is known to trigger thyroid antibodies in a lot of patients. Beware. I got ill from iodine in vitamin pills for a few days, it had such an impact.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamieL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16563

massman,

Was that sarcasm? I couldn't say as sarcasm tends to fly right over my Lyme brain.

Are you saying go to an endocrinologist?

Why not just say that instead of being rude?

--------------------

massman
Unregistered

Many state that they do not need or want docs to help them. They get pretty annoyed with suggestions that they need a good doc and many supplements I recommend are available thru docs only.

In many cases it seems like a knee-jerk reaction. The only experiences they have are probably their own and often their suggestions suggest that what helped them will help everybody.

Supposedly sincere requests for referrals to docs occur. When I call other docs I know personally to set up referrals the patients typically do not contact the doc. So why did they ask in the first place, really ?

Check your PMs.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Ping, it's good that you have a doc who is at least open to T3 only. What dose did he start you out at?
I just started on T3 myself.

--------------------

dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definately understand Massman. I just went to a new endo from www.bodylogicmd.com

Wow, it was/is like going to a LLMD except for thyroid & ALL hormones.

Very please I went...was told about them by a woman in the Hartford Lyme Support group.

Found out I'm at higher risk for Breast Cancer due to hormone ratios out of sync.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Dmc, I've been using them for a couple years now. They're excellent...very open-minded.

--------------------

dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome lymeorsom...we probably see the same office.

My regular endo...nice but no where near as thorough. So glad I was told...BTW should let people know it is a national company of MDs.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymeorsomething:
... What dose did he start you out at?
I just started on T3 myself.

Starting out at 75mcg., which is the equivalent of what I was taking with Armour. I imagine we'll have to tweek it somewhat. What's your starting dose?

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

ping, I'm on 50 mcgs, a meager dose, but will increase soon.

For temp reset, doses approaching 100 mcgs and over may be needed. I'm using regular Cytomel in divided doses but at larger doses compounding for extended release may be necessary.

Of course, you can run T3 as replacement or also try something along the lines of the Wilson protocol--two different things. Replacement is continued regularly while the Wilson protocol is run in cycles and then stopped at some point.

I've read the literature of one compounding service that suggested lower doses can work too but it may take longer to feel the results (few months).

Good luck.

--------------------

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeorsomething - Interesting. Didn't know about the 100mcg. I'm doing pretty good with body temp, so will see how the 75 mcg works for me.

Will keep in touch and best results to both of us with the T3. (So glad that doc didn't rx T4 also like so many others.)

--------------------
ping

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement