LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Manganese vs Magnesium

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Manganese vs Magnesium
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference?

I'm trying to find good sources of manganese (ala Dr K's Pyloria tx)

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that Manganese is a completely different mineral than Magnesium and I'm pretty sure legumes are a good source. Not sure which ones though.
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be the same, they sound close enough [shake]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I was curious Dick
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massman, why don't you help answer questions too. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

His way or the highway. That's the approach all the "know it alls" take.
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are different, but I don't remember the difference. Guess I need to take some!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Chuck!

What a website! Good stuff my man

canefan17
Member # 22149

The name Chuck always makes me think of Charles Barkley. (haha random i know)
massman
Unregistered

Much more fun to ramble 'round here with goofy fun replies than try to actually help people !
[puke] [woohoo]

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Cane-I believe you mentioned that you eat a decent amount of quinoa-that is a very good source of manganese as well. I remembered that this morning when i was making it for breakfast.
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massman-

If you are a DC I would have thought you would be a lot more compassionate, sharing, and understanding since most of the chiropractors I see are humble, unassuming, and extremely knowledgeable.

I guess I was wrong.

[puke]

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

I love the hell out of my wellness chiro. He's like my cheerleader.
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a quarter of this pill (5mg).

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Chelated-Manganese-250-Tablets/13270?at=0

Works quite well for me.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Nobody here likes to laugh, do they ?

How could one be compassionate with those who already know everything ?

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

who claims to know everything? This thread started as a question...but anyway.

Greens are also a great source-just looked this up because it made me curious. Mustard Greens, Kale, Romaine lettuce-so pile up the greens!

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by massman:
Much more fun to ramble 'round here with goofy fun replies than try to actually help people !
[puke] [woohoo]

But, you did not help answer this question, only had a rude comment.
Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Must be the same, they sound close enough [shake]

Where is the answer here?
Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

elley,

Thanks. Ya I do eat quite a bit of quinoa.

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cane - My LLMD (now retired) told me that soy products usually contain good sources of manganese, esp. soy sauce. Also said that too much would make Lyme sx's very active.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is mangosteen a derivative of mangos?

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never mind just read Ping's post

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ping, very interesting! I had a severe reaction to soy sauce at a chinese restaurant.

One of my lyme symptoms is feeling like my throat is closing up. It was during a period where it had been a little worse than normal and we went to eat chinese and I put soy sauce on my rice.

About 20 minutes after finishing my meal, it felt like my throat was completely closed up. I almost went to ER it was so bad.

Anyway haven't been back to that restaurant again since then. Didn't know if it was the soy sauce or all the MSG they use in their food.

I also had an increase in other lyme symptoms but thought it was from the trauma of the whole ordeal of the throat closing up.

Now I wonder!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sutherngrl: I think it was to you I sent this LLMD's patient manual. He talks about manganese reaction(s) in there. Too bad for me as well because I loved soy sauce. Now the problem isn't manganese for me but hypertension.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nobody here likes to laugh, do they ?

Hmmm. Good Point.

Those like you perhaps??

Plenty here like to laugh. Most people do not laugh at condescending, sarcastic, and utterly useless comments.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure it is a good idea to supplement this mineral in excess. Lyme uses managanese rather than iron to multiply.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Mar 3;106(9):3449-54. Epub 2009 Feb 13.

A manganese transporter, BB0219 (BmtA), is required for virulence by the Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi.

Ouyang Z, He M, Oman T, Yang XF, Norgard MV.

Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA.

Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb), the causative agent of Lyme disease, is transmitted to mammalian hosts through an arthropod (tick) vector.

To establish infection, Bb must acquire essential nutrients, including transition metals, from its mammalian and tick hosts. Thus far, no metal transporter has been identified in Bb.

Here, we report the identification of the first metal transporter, BmtA (BB0219), in Bb. BmtA-deficient mutants of virulent Bb were readily generated, and the mutants grew slightly slower than wild-type Bb in vitro.

However, BmtA mutants were sensitive to the chelating actions of EDTA, suggesting a role for BmtA in metal utilization. Intracellular accumulation of manganese (Mn) was substantially diminished in the bmtA mutant, indicating that BmtA was operative in Mn uptake.

Given that BmtA lacks homology to any known Mn transporter, we postulate that BmtA is part of a novel mechanism for Mn acquisition by a bacterial pathogen. BmtA also was essential to the infectious life cycle of Bb in ticks and mammals, thereby qualifying BmtA as a new borrelial virulence factor.

In addition, the bmtA mutant was sensitive to treatment with t-butyl hydroperoxide, implying that BmtA, and thus Mn, is important to Bb for detoxifying reactive oxygen species, including those potentially liberated by immune effector cells during the innate immune response.

Our discovery of the first molecule involved in metal transport in Bb provides a foundation for further elucidating metal homeostasis in this important human pathogen, which may lead to new strategies for thwarting Lyme disease.

PMID: 19218460 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you think we should not take manganese as Bb uses it cellular?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere, maybe here, maybe elsewhere, I read that BB metabolizes manganese. I showed the article to my LLMD---he said stay away from it. It nourishes BB.

Magnesium, on the other hand, is a totally differnt chemical than manganese. Magneisum is supposed to help with neuro symptoms, especially muscle twitches & burning skin & other peripheral nerve symptoms.

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't know everything. That's why I pm you with questions sometimes because I think you can give some good advice and input.

By the way, think you'll have some time to answer my recent questions I sent you in a pm? Look forward to it. [Smile]

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

pinelady,

I guess managanese is kind of like B12 -- it is a necessary nutrient and some people may need supplements since lyme obviously uses up the nutrient.

Just picked up a new issue of the monthly health newsletter, Developing Healthy Habits, at my local health food store. Manganese was the feature nutrient. This is what Dr. Linda Page says about manganese.

Quote -- A mineral that nourishes brain and nerve centers to eliminate fatigue, nerves and low back pain, and aids in sugar and fat metabolism. SOD (superoxide dismutase), a powerful free radical quenching enzyme, is solely dependent on manganese for its immune enhancing activity. Manganese boosts calcium in nourishing bones, and reduces epileptic seizures.

Deficiencies result in poor hair and nail growth (white spots on nails), hearing loss, blood pressure imbalances, impotence, latent diabetes, and poor muscle coordination.

Tranquilizer drugs deplete manganese. Manganese supplements protect nerves from adverse effects of tranquilizers.

Food sources: blueberries, ginger, rice, eggs, green vegetables, legumes, nuts and bananas. -- End Quote

Seizures, hearing loss, blood pressure imbalances, poor muscle coordination .... Sounds a lot like lyme symptoms.

Oh wow, talk about a smart bug. The abstract I posted above says that Bb uses the manganese to block free radicals generated by a person's immune system -- it is diverting the SOD for its own purposes is what it sounds like to me.

There are 2 kinds of SOD -- I forget what the other one is. looked it up -- the 2nd kind of SOD contains copper and zinc.

Bea Seibert

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Neuropediatrics. 2005 Dec;36(6):386-8.

Autoantibodies to human manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) in children with facial palsy due to neuroborreliosis.

Eiffert H, Karsten A, Ritter K, Ohlenbusch A, Schlott T, Laskawi R, Christen HJ.

Department of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital, G�ttingen, Germany.

AIM: Acute peripheral facial palsy due to neuroborreliosis is associated with a distal neuritis. In patients with Lyme disease the activity of antioxidant enzymes is decreased.

With respect to the pathogenesis of neuroborreliosis, sera of children with acute peripheral facial palsy were investigated for autoantibodies against human manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), which were suspected of raising the oxidative injury of infected tissues.

METHODS: Sera of 20 children with acute peripheral palsy with neuroborreliosis, sera of 20 children with facial palsy without reference to Lyme disease and sera of 14 blood donors were tested for antibodies against human MnSOD using an ELISA.

RESULTS: The concentrations of IgM autoantibodies to MnSOD of the children with neuroborreliosis were significantly increased, compared with the two control groups.

CONCLUSIONS: We propose that the antibodies detected block the protective effects of MnSOD resulting in an increased oxidative inflammation.

PMID: 16429379 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats interesting about the Manganese boosting Calcium. The dern things build biofilm out of calcium.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

So we shouldn't take manganese??? It is in multi vitamins.
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
article on manganese transporter http://www.pnas.org/content/106/9/3449.full
Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement