LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you think I have reactive Hypoglycemia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you think I have reactive Hypoglycemia?
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1-2 hours after I eat I get symptoms like headache, shakyness, anxiety, chills, sound sensitivity..etc

After about an hour it goes away. Happens at the sametime every day.

I don't eat much, I will admit... since I started Plaquenil I go hours without eating and then when I do, I am not hungry so I wind up not eating healthy and probably small meals.

Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been hypo for years. In some cases it helps to eat something at least every 4 hrs. I do peanut

butter and crackers to keep the sugar up. Some times it can turn on those patients and it will go

hyper. I think it can get wore out. You can get a test kit for around 20 bucks if you suspect

problems with it.

At the same time many of us have adrenal insufficiency. So in lyme

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been hypo for years. In some cases it helps to eat something at least every 4 hrs. I do peanut

butter and crackers to keep the sugar up. Some times it can turn on those patients and it will go

hyper. I think it can get wore out. You can get a test kit for around 20 bucks if you suspect

problems with it.

At the same time many of us have adrenal insufficiency. So in lyme it could be a combo.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I do about adrenal insifficiency?
Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a girl that described the same thing. She became afraid to eat because of all the neuro symptoms it set off. She lost a lot of weight due to this. She barely ate anything, day after day.

Hers lasted longer than an hour and were severe.

She eventually became a patient of my now famous lyme doc. He told her all the problems after eating were caused by bartonella.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was diagnosed hypoglycemic and had it for 30 years. What you describe is not at all how it works.

He would get low blood sugar from not eating. The remedy is to eat every 2 hours, small meals.

But, no sugar or simple carbs. If you eat sugar or simple carbs (white bread, white potatoes, cake, flour, fruit), you will put out too much insulin in response to the sugar and bring on another hypoglycemic attack. You will make yourself shake and feel like passing out about 1-2 hours after a lot of sugar.

He always got shakey and sleepy when he had to eat. He always got irritable when he had to eat, and impatient. He could start yelling and want to argue. Endo told us that is the body putting out adrenalin to stop you from going into a coma from sugar being too low. Adrenalin is the "fight or flight" instinct, as they call it. Eating virtually instantly got rid of the problem.

So, the timing of your symptoms sounds wrong for hypoglycemia to me, unless what you eat is just about total sugar.

And, if you go long periods of time not eating, you should be getting hypoglycemic from not eating. If you are hypo, you must drink a glass of milk or some other acceptable food at bedtime so that sugar doesn't fall too low during the night.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard for reactive hypoglycemia (besides eating 6 small protein meals per day.... is that you're chromium deficient.

www.curezone.com

Have a lot of good info on it ^^^

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laurisabelle,
Your description fits reactive hypoglycemia exactly. Reative hypoglycemia is different than hypoglycemia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

I had reactive hypoglycemia for years. Many people on my fibromyalgia on-line group had the same thing. We found that a very low carbohydrate diet and small meals eaten often helps to keep it under control.

I kept telling my doctor (not LLMD) that I had reactive hypoglycemia but she didn't pay much attention. Boy was she freaked out when she caught it via a lab test and my blood sugars were very low, <60. She never doubted it again. It is very hard to diagnose and I think there is some controversy about it.

It seems that in many cases, reactive hypoglycemia is a pre-cursor to diabetes so it is really important to control it as much as possible.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

[ 03-20-2010, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

There is a lot to be learned from a glucose tolerance test if conducted by a good doctor who is

up on the research. They have identified a lot of patterns that can occur on the test and they know

which patterns turn the most. Go hyper. So if you have one of those you can be forewarned. Years

ago I had one sit me down in his office and tell me he wanted to use my test in his research. It

was flat line always low. He told me he thought one day it would wear out and turn on me. So far so good.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

TF
Member # 14183

What my husband had meets exactly the description in the Wikepedia link given by TerryK above and what his endocrinologist told us was happening.

He got hypoglycemic if he needed to eat, and if he ate a sugary or simple carb meal, he got hypoglycemic from that (what is being called reactive hypoglycemia here).

He was diagnosed by a 5 hour glucose tolerance test. This is done by an endocrinologist. You must fast before the test. Then, they give you a sugary drink. About 2 1/2 hours after they gave him the drink, he began shaking and passing out and they stopped the test.

So, you can find out if you have this condition by making an appt with an endo who will do this test for you. Some endos may not be willing to test for this condition, so check before making the appt.

The condition is serious for a number of reasons. One is that after 30 or so years of stressing your pancreas with the sugary meals, you will become diabetic. You wear out your pancreas which is over-reacting to the intake of sugar and simple carbs. That's why people with this condition are told to basically eat like a diabetic now.

Also, the drops in blood sugar can cause passing out while driving, etc. which was what was happening to my husband.

Or, you can avoid sugar and simple carbs and see if your "attacks" go away. If they do, you have made your own diagnosis.

If they don't go away, you need to seriously consider that you may have bartonella.

My husband now is considered diabetic, in spite of doing a pretty good job over the last 30 years of eating properly. But, he controls his condition with diet so far.

Wish you the best.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF - the meal that I ate 3 hours before my blood sugar tanked via a lab test was meat and vegetables. NO sugar of any kind and NO complex carbs. You don't need to eat inappropriately to have this problem.

It isn't all that easy to catch. I did have the kind of test that you mention 2X's. Nothing showed up.

My diet was always good. With supplements and meds I've managed to stop my pre-diabetic condition and now my blood sugars are normal.

I think blood sugar problems go hand in hand with lyme and co-infections. Every single person in my family is sick and everyone has blood sugar problems and some are very hard to control. I've been told by an endocrinologist that it is a statistical improbability that everyone in one family would have blood sugar problems. I blame infection in our case.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An excellent place to go is
http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Forum3832-1.aspx
The American Diabetes Association Adult Type 2 Forum.
I'm very active on that board.
People are very helpful.

As for testing your own blood glucose on a budget or not getting your insurance involved, chain drugstores like walgreens, cvs, have generic glucose meters you can get for 10 bucks. Sometimes you can get a $10 rebate on the meter. They all come with 10 strips and 10 lancets.
Everybody uses the lancets multiple times before changing them.
Test strips are the real cost here.
Brand name ones cost $1 per strip.
Generic ones are much cheaper, but still accurate.
You can test on your forearm if you find the SIDES, not the fingerprint part, of your fingers too sensitive.
You will still have to test on the fingers if you are checking for rapidly ascending or descending blood glucose levels.
I was hypoglycemic all my life, then I noticed I wasn't.....then the doctor diagnosed me diabetic type 2.
Pay real close attention to your blood glucoes levels if you have close relatives who are diabetic.
It is genetic.

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can recover from hypoglycemia and in a lot of cases reverse it if you recover your adrenals. they go hand in hand.

My naturopath suffered from both and it took her roughly 2 years to recover her adrenal glands.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

TerryK, what you are saying makes sense to me. And, the fact that people on a fibro forum would have this problem, since many of them probably have undiagnosed lyme disease.

Lyme can affect every bodily system, so why not our adrenals, our hormones, our blood sugar, etc.

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Yes that's where all our D gets booted around. Our glandular hormones.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement