LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Waking with Nausea and gas. What co-infection is this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waking with Nausea and gas. What co-infection is this?
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been treating Lyme since 06' and most of my symptoms are gone. However, I am still having gut issues that I had BEFORE I began antibiotics.

I am waking in the early morning hours with pressure like pain in the belly area (and below and to the immediate right of belly) and nausea. Sometimes it is a burning pain. It wakes me out of a dead sleep. I also get gas with this and gas after eating anything sweet or any carb (which I try to stay away from). Even fruit juice will give me gas.

I think this is SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) because when I first got sick my belly really protruded and I had terrible stinky gas. This is better, but the nausea really affects my sleep.

I also sometimes wake with the nausea and my glands hurt in my neck and I am sweaty. Feels like a virus, but I think it's an infection.

Some meals will cause nausea also.

I am presently back on Doxy (300mg daily, nausea started way before Doxy) for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever titer that will not go down.

So, I am thinking this is either Bart (tested negative but treated with Rifampin and Zith for 5 months anway which cleared my neuro symptoms) OR Babesia (low positive Igenex titer for Ducani and never treated) OR SIBO. But would Babesia present with gas like this? I would think that would be more Bart or Yeast.

LLMD thinks I will have to do a course of xifaxin in case it's SIBO. Maybe try Factive for Bart?

I also have an occasional heart irregularity where I go into SVT when I swallow at times. This seems vagal related.

Any suggestions for thoughts on what causes gas after eating and nausea like this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a gallbladder issue. Gallbladder is on rt side and can cause gas, pain, and nausea especially after eating. Also possibly an stomach ulcer, which also can cause pain and nausea.

Glands that hurt in the neck could be a lyme symptom. Heart issue also sounds like lyme.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's gall bladder, check out this article:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2008/06/lyme-and-gallbladder.html

it's his opinion (or was at the time) that salmonella infection might be part of the problem.

You might have multiple things going on>

the obvious one is yeast infection, esp with the gas and esp with gas after carbs. I think gall bladder attacks are related to eating fats, but I'm not totally sure.

nausea might be unrelated to the gas and be related to having babesia. Or maybe they are related. just something to think

I wonder if nausea could be vagus nerve stuff- I had a form of air hunger where if I yawned too deeply to deal with the air hunger I would retch. I thought this might be vagus nerve stuff but I havn'et had it confirmed by anyone.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think Gallbladder would present more like an attack and also after eating fats. My gas comes after eating carbs or drinking anything sweet. Could be SIBO or yeast.

The nausea could be Babs. I tested positive for a parasite called Strongyloides and treated with Ivermectin but it did not alleviate the problem.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had something like this when I first came down with chronic lyme, and it may or may not have been blastocystis hominis (ie I tested for b hominis, not sure if it was the only problem). They only gave me Flagyl for it which got rid of the problems permanently.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart is often gastro-related and you're on doxy which hits it somewhat.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Yes, I suppose if I keep cycling Doxy/Mino with Biaxin then a quinolone, then tindamax, alinia I will probably hit it and clean up the rest of my symptoms.
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have your LLMd test for H.pylori, it is considered a co-infection and I had it for a very long time before I was treated.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like SIBO to me. Have you had the Quintron breath test with lactulose?
Rifaximin can help. Pimintel has a good book on this. Diet is key, no fructose!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Already treated for H-pylori. Wild Condor - Yes I think it is SIBO. I have seen Dr. Pimental and was diagnosed with it a while back but never treated because we were dealing with Lyme first.

I wonder if SIBO would cause night nausea like this though? I thought it was mainly gas after fructose.

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

^
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a gastritis or maybe an ulcer.

Is your gas burping? Coconut water helps me tremendously with burping and it's a great way to hydrate. It does contain some sugar.

I'm finally able to get some sleep after using DGL, slippery elm bark, and marshmallow root. I am not waking in extreme pain anymore. The pain is still there but it is not waking me.

You can have an ulcer without h pylori.

If you want to go the western medicine route, you can try Prevacid with pepto bismal to see if that helps you.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement