LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » numbness, tingling, pain in hands at night?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: numbness, tingling, pain in hands at night?
sandyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandyk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
Does anyone experience your hands "falling asleep" - numbness, tingling and painful while trying to sleep at night - even if they are at your sides or across your body when it shouldn't really happen?

Then stiffness and pain following..

This has been happening to my husband every night for a week now.

My husband has been tearing down some walls in the house and doing extra physical work lately - that may have triggered it, but we never had this symptom.. another new one!

Thanks.

Posts: 159 | From Toms River, NJ | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES. YES, YES!! See my recent post I made. Exactly the same thing happened to me. I'm now wearing hand splints at night.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Debbeejo
Member # 25517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debbeejo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this problem too. It comes & goes.
Posts: 3 | From Cary, NC | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's lyme or co. Some toxic matter that goes to the hands, knowing this territory is a good place to party. Don't let doc try to tell you it's corpral(sp) tunnel.

I did find hand splints helpful at night. I didn't realize how I was sleeping with hands bent at the wrist, blocking good blood flow and oxygen.

Rereading your post....I hope he is using safety equipment like breathing masks, gloves, clothing to cover most of body? Toxic dust, just another strain on the body.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nattokinase w/ antibiotics fixed this for me. Something about fibrin, and germs hiding in the extremities hiding out.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandyk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything is a strain on the body. He is a Fireman and Carpenter.. bad bad bad. He is a wreck constantly about having a fire - last time he couldn't make it up the first flight of stairs gasping for air.

Have an appt. w/Dr. H NY on Tuesday!

Posts: 159 | From Toms River, NJ | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this too. I have the pain, numbness and tingling in my left arm mostly. It is usually at night when I am falling asleep, though recently in the last few months has been waking me in the night. The other night I woke up because my whole arm was hurting so incredibly bad. It was my left arm and I woke up on my right side.. so its not even like it was tucked under my body or something.

it is very uncomfortable. I just started doxy last week and just got my lyme diagnosis. been sick about 7 years or so.

Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have had this for a long time. I cannot even hold a cell phone for more than a minute or two. I wake up with numb hands at night. My feet have been numb and tingling for years. My husband's feet bother him a lot,too.

I think this is called peripheral neuropathy and is common for folks like us. I found that when I was able to walk it helped my feet somewhat. I think we need to do stretches and move as much as we can. We also soak in hot bath water or in a foot bath.

I bought an elastic hand bandage that helps a lot when my hands ache. I got it at a medical supply store. You can get it in your own size.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticktoxic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticktoxic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely it's a disc in his middle back that is causing this problem when he sleeps. Try chiropractic and see if that helps.

It could be carpal tunnel as well......gripping and swinging a hammer a lot everyday takes its toll on the wrist nerves, and the swelling cuts off circulation to some extent.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ticktoxic... this wouldn't explain him gaspiing for air, she said he is a fireman and they are usually in top shape.

I to have the body parts fall asleep, not just at night. my arms and fingers go numb typing, cooking, cell phone etc. same with legs, sit stand doesn't seem to matter what I do.

I am glad your hubby is seeing a llmd. Is he taking any supplements that might help releive a little of the symptoms?

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this too and still have it when I am in the middle of a herx, like now! But for the most part it has improved with treatment.

My arms, hands and feet would go numb during the night and also during the day if I stayed in one position too long or as farraday said, even if I was holding the phone for too long.

I'm not sure what causes it, I just know that it has subsided to a tolerable level. Hopefully it will go away completely. Keep going with the treatment and hopefully you will see a difference. It took about 3 months of multiple abx for me to see improvement in this symptom.

Posts: 239 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starch
Member # 16205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had numbness and tingling on my feet, hands and face off and on since my Lyme resurfaced 2 years ago. Abx helps. My current LLMD thinks its more bartonella than lyme. One thing that's helped significantly beyond abx is acupuncture. I strongly recommend it. Its really complemented my conventional lyme treatment.
Posts: 48 | From Baltimore, md | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had this symptom for several years, i have been on treatment for 8 weeks now and i am waking up most mornings with numb fingers and hands. Like Renny1985 says its not always the side i am laying. If i wake up on my left side it will be my right arm and hand that is suffering. Very strange but am sure its to do with my lyme or bart.
Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Starch. Acupuncture really does help...providing you find someone who is well trained. I have had both kinds and there is an enormous difference!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going through hell with this issue right now. I regret ever doing that housework. My middle finger feels like it's half numb. I wake up every morning now with extremely stiff hands and in pain. My Physiatrist says carpel tunnel.

In the past, I've painted 3-4 rooms and did 10x as much work w/o this horrid reaction. Carpel tunnel my A#$. I'm hoping the damage isn't permanent. How scary. Strangely both my hands are tingling a good amount at times. The worst part is my thumb and next two fingers. [Frown]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this go away with treatment? Or its already the damage by the disease?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kramberry-From what I hear it should go away with treatment. The nerves will regenerate eventually.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be carpal tunnel or a pinched nerve in the neck.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im thinking it might be due to hypercoagulation or thick blood,

Because i numb myself easily too during the day when i stay on a certain position for a while.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The breathlessness might be babesia. As it is so difficult to get rid of, you might want to be sure he is treated for it if he has any other symptoms.

Neuropathy is helped by alpha lipoic acid. It helps regulate blood sugar , detoxes and is a powerful antioxidant. It is given to diabetics and some people take it by IV. It is often given with acetyl L Carnitine which boosts stamina, converts fat to muscle and helps with memory.

Another thing to try is low dose naltrexone. It boosts endorphins which help to boost and regulate the immune system. It helps a lot of people with auto immune diseases, cancer, diseases like lyme, pain and diabetic neuropathy.
If he wants to try it, start very low like 1 mg and work up to 3-4.5 mg.

I just found out about alkaline water and don't know if it is snake oil or real. Supposedly it is very helpful for stamina and pain.
The idea is the body should be more alkaline than acidic. When we have disease, the organisms release toxins which cause an acidic environment.

People swear the alkaline water erases pain and stiffness as well as stamina and neuropathy. I bought a cup that is supposed to convert it - will post back if I feel it helps.

We should eat more alkaline foods. Sugar, alcohol, meat, dairy and processed junk is very acidic. Eat lots more vegetables and fruit.

But like others said you have to get after the infections because they are the primary condition. It would be dangerous for him to enter a burning building with babesia so he should check that our right away. People can pass out with it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement