LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is lyme contagious?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is lyme contagious?????
cliftonparkny
Member # 25719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cliftonparkny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that lymes was NOT contagious or transmitted sexually or otherwise from human to human. I have seen a few post here stating it was transmitted to family members or that it can be spread by saliva or semen. I need to know if this is contagious to the people in my life? I do not want to spread this if it is.......thanks in advance for any information you can provide........
Posts: 4 | From NY | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We haven't examined other fluids, but whatever borellia I have (I honestly don't think it's burgdorferi anymore), they are swarming in my blood.

After seeing what I saw, I don't understand how it couldn't be passed from person to person.

But that being said, medical journals indicate they can be found in semen, saliva, and breast milk. It's only logical that if they can be found there, they can be transmitted. I don't understand why there is still controversy over this.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I studird with a very sharp Nurse Practitioner from PA about 5 years ago. She taught that it could be transmitted by all body fluids.

A big part of lyme's life is to effectively spread itself around, and body fluids provide a very effective way to do that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say yes. My husband got a positive Lyme test about a year after we were married (I have Lyme) and he had never been bitten by a tick (city boy!)...

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cliftonparkny
Member # 25719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cliftonparkny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every medical website I have looked at says it is not contagious and cannot be transmitted person to person. The pediatrician also told me this was not contagious and I shouldn't be concerned about my children unless they were bitten by a tick. Have any of you been told this?
Posts: 4 | From NY | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Medical sites ? These docs + their publicists are way behind the times.

I feel it is tough to believe docs that choose to stay ignorant. They are just spitting up what they have been told is politically correct.

Kids involved ?
Better safe than sorry.

cliftonparkny
Member # 25719

I really don't know what to do. I cannot afford my medical care. Insurance is starting to deny claims and I am not able to see a LLMD because of the cost. I am really nervous about being contagious since there is no definative answer out there. I will just act as if I am contagious to be safe. Are any of you out there on disability due to this?
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am worried because I am treating and my husband is not. It is a major concern to me. I am sure I passed lyme on to my daughter, and I don't want to finally get into remission, and my husband give it back to me!!!! MAJOR CONCERN FOR ME!!!
Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
cliftonparkny,

Lyme is not "contagious" (as in from the air or droplets from a sneeze - like a cold or the flu) but it certainly can be "infectious" from intimate contact, especially sexual activity of any kind. Condoms are certainly a consideration for safety.

But, systemic treatment of both partners is a good idea. For one who seems not affected or symptomatic (and has never been), Olive Leaf extract or allicin may be just the ticket for them. But the ill partner's LLMD is best to help figure that out.

Experts differ on this point, however, there is evidence. Still, love should be shared - just with points of safety.

At this point, you can't give your kids lyme. It can be passed from conception (mother or father), gestation and/or through birth canal . . . however, not from just hugging, kisses on the cheek, etc. It's still good to cuddle and hug. Don't break that bond.

I'd not share drinking glasses with anyone - - but that is good advice for everyone, all the time and not so much about lyme (as it's not LIKELY to get from a glass) but those with lyme often carry many other infections and their immune system dysfunction leaves them at risk for other things that may not bother most.

As for intimate contact (even kissing), everyone can discuss that with their LLMD and their boyfriend/girlfriend/ partner/spouse. Kissing, normally, might be just fine. And while lyme doesn't hang around the bloodstream, if both have any cut, scrap or bleeding gums, that could be problematic.

Anyone who eats any kind of chip is likely to have a cut in their mouth (or is that just me? - I never eat fried chips but even a healthy, baked, blue corn chip will cut my mouth).

I see this a particularly problematic for teenagers who - as nature intends - deserve some innocence and spontaneity with a "first kiss" and young romance - all that wonderful stuff that goes with growing up. Matters such as this need to be handled with all matters of tenderness and understanding - along with the science behind it.

Another matter that I've seen no discussion about:

PETS?

I'm not sure if bartonella can be transmitted from animal saliva but there are certainly other microbes of concern.

As much as we love our pets and want to cuddle (and that is good) . . . it's vital to be aware of their nature. Their tongues are used for their personal grooming (uh, um). It's perfectly natural for them but their colons contain stuff that does not belong in our mouths.

I see too many people who let their cat or dog kiss them on the mouth. That is never a good idea. It's hard to keep a loving pet from doing this but it is very important to train them - or keep your guard up to protect your mouth.

Train your kids, too. Pets should never kiss a human on the mouth - for many reasons beyond lyme. Just as we've all learned to cover a sneeze with our elbow, that is also a good technique when playing with our pets. Still play, still cuddle, just keep that elbow handy and push away with the other hand.

The "Peanuts" comic strip comes to mind. Was that Lucy or Charlie Brown's little sister who kept getting a bath from an overly-amorous Snoopy?

It is very common, nearly a rite of passage as a pet owner and as we don't want our kids to freak out like Lucy or become phobic but if we teach them early on - and also have a gentle mouth wash handy - it can help ensure health.

A professional pet trainer may have other methods of training, too. But, my guess is that they may not think it's a big deal unless they've experienced failing health from hidden infections.

Another point of concern: Pets should never lick from a dripping water facet used by humans. This is much more frequent than one might think, especially with cats. I've seen otherwise educated people get a laugh from a cat doing this at the kitchen sink. Then, I'm asked if I want a drink of water. I learned to carry my own water with me when visiting certain friends.

I've mentioned my concern a time or two only to be discounted as phobic. Hey, I'll eat berries right off the vine but traces of animal poop in my water supply are a concern.
-

[ 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not sure if bartonella can be transmitted from animal saliva but..."

Isolation of Bartonella quintana from a Woman and a Cat following Putative Bite Transmission.
Edward B. Breitschwerdt, Ricardo G. Maggi, Betsy Sigmon, and William L. Nicholson.
J Clin Microbiol. 2007 January; 45(1): 270-272.

Bartonella DNA in dog saliva.
Duncan AW, Maggi RG, Breitschwerdt EB.
Emerg Infect Dis. 2007 Dec;13(12):1948-50.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Buhner in "Healing Lyme", spirochetes have been found in human breast milk, tears, urine, and semen. I guess it's nice he hasn't mentioned sweat. But, how different are tears and sweat?

He also says that live spirochetes have been found in mosquitos, mites, fleas, and biting flies and some transmission through some of these routes has been documented

Perhaps the bigger question is how likely it is to get lyme from all these other sources. That might be a hard one to answer.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billclo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billclo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think about the only way to be sure about the whole issue would be to get a bunch of volunteers, some Lyme-positive, some non-Lyme exposed. Pair them up, try kissing only with some, unprotected sex (but with the women on the Pill) with some.

See who gets infected. But you'll never see a study like this done due to the ethics. And I'd think that if they told prospective subjects that they may come down with a disease that we don't know how to cure, well good luck getting volunteers there. (yeah, they'd probably just say, well if you do get it, a 3-week course of Doxycyline will fix you right up). [Frown]

Posts: 131 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliftonparkny:
pediatrician also told me this was not contagious and I shouldn't be concerned about my children unless they were bitten by a tick. Have any of you been told this?

The Nurse Practitioner at the LLMD I used to go to told me after my daughter was born that as long as I was on antibiotics during my pregnancy there shouldn't be anything to worry about. She said my daughter would possibly TEST positive but that in all likelihood it would never be an active disease and I would just drive myelf crazy by doing the testing...
Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was 1 of the first questions I asked my LLMD.He answered like this"I am only treating 1 partner I have yet to treat a spouse yet",but he did not answer the question,yes or no.Makes you wonder.
Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely think it can be passed through intimate contact (Bb is the distant cousin to syphilis).

My husband and I both have Lyme and Cos. This is not uncommon in the Lyme world. Ugh!

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says the jury is still out. IS it possible..sure. LIkely...no.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah no kissing on lips, tongue, and no intimate contact for me!

My poor BF. I'm ok cuz I have no libido now but I think this is where he suffers from me having lyme.

The uncertainty of when I will be better, and when I will be not contagious is what is driving us nuts.

I wonder - once I am symptom free for awhile - am I still a carrier of this bacteria? Then is it a lifetime thing?? Boo!

[Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice idea bill! haha!
Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by billclo:
I think about the only way to be sure about the whole issue would be to get a bunch of volunteers, some Lyme-positive, some non-Lyme exposed. Pair them up, try kissing only with some, unprotected sex (but with the women on the Pill) with some.

See who gets infected. But you'll never see a study like this done due to the ethics. And I'd think that if they told prospective subjects that they may come down with a disease that we don't know how to cure, well good luck getting volunteers there. (yeah, they'd probably just say, well if you do get it, a 3-week course of Doxycyline will fix you right up). [Frown]

Here is the original post by "bill"

I understood what you meant, "katie"

It was a funny comment.

[lol]

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
katie... click on the "pencil/pad" icon next to the date

Then look for the "delete post" in the upper left hand corner of the page.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, strange conversation? Again I managed to get scared to death so I called the LLMD. He said "No" there has never been any documentated case of sexual transmission. Woman who are pregnant are given abx by some of their LLMD's as a precaution because of this panic.

He feels that the world has gone crazy with this whole idea and we should go out and live our lives. If this was the case than everything in life would be contagious and we would all live in a bubble.

I guess I am in denial, but I want to believe my LLMD and my husband has no problems, nor my daughters (who always drink out of my glass!) I would rather be dead than to think I was a walking "germ" to everyone around me. We have to stop being afraid of everything in life or it is not worth living.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way you think annier1071, once I stopped looking at life through "LYME GLASSES" I was able to turn the corner and feel like myself again.

This is all too scary for newbies, geeze. I had myself sick over all this in September. We are all sick enough without all this fear. The whole world would be infected if this were true. After all, our thoughts become things. I would rather go on with my life and trusting God.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fflutterby.
I was so overwhelmed by what I was reading on the forums that my LLMD told me to stop. If I have a question, ask him about it. There is a lot of great information, but somethings are just too intense.

Your right there is enough with not feeling physically well to be brought down into depression too. Fear is the worst way to gain knowledge. We need to step back and just live again. Sometimes technology causes serious issues. WE need to go back to the "happy day" era again and relax and laugh (the best medicine).

We have another 19 inches of snow today in NY and I shoveled with a cane in one hand and shovel in the other!! Yep, it hurt like hell but I could breathe again and I managed to take care of business.

Feel good and step back for a lyme break.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Hey, katie, I thought you were dissin' our man, onbam at first but momlyme caught your drift.

The Lyme Wars are unspeakable Tuskeegee crimes x10,000 according to the respected LLMD, Dr L of NY who writes so well. Look him up on CALDA's policy wonk page. Article entitled something about "Truth" (Rare in the realm of US "mainstream" media!)

Fflutterby & annier,
I agree with your sentiments about too much fear, anxiety and panic on the part of newbies lately. That's what the IDSA thugs, neurologists, large US medical insurers & big pharma aim to achieve. We're struggling with dis-ease, but smarter than their illogical media ploys. (If they're concerned about resistant organisms, they erred in letting any of us live thru yesterday. We're the fittest, and we're surviving to thrive!)

Wise to step away often! We all need to maintain balance. Sounds like annier can demo that!

Need to let you know that I'm confident annier's LLMD was wrong about sexual transmission. Sorry.

It'd be nice if it wasn't true, but Borrelia, Babesia, and Bartonella can all be inherited. That's been documented in published scientific journals, even by ducks!

As for protection, Borrelia is so teenie, it can fit thru ~60% of pores in condoms. The infectious dose is one spirochete.

For those frightened by this thread, know that knowledge is power, and fear is the opposite of Love, Light, Healing and God. Get what you need to thrive.

Ignoring danger doesn't make it unreal. Stepping away from a scary thing so you can get your composure is always wise.

Relax, and take distance.

Decide what you CAN do.

Sometimes, to do nothing is the best course of action.

Take appropriate action for you & yours, now.

Sincerely, all best wishes for everyone touched by the Lyme Wars.
Smile

p.s. - I'm a Lyme patient with a broad background in science. I'm not a healthcare pro; my LLMD is.

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spirochete has been identified in sperm. It's known that mothers can pass it to their babies via the placenta and breast milk. It's known that babies are born with Lyme disease.

Given that the spirochete is so closely related to the one that causes Syphilis, it's not at all unreasonable to suspect that it can be transmitted sexually.

Of course, since so much information about this illness is being suppressed this is the last bit of information about this illness that Steere and Co. would want out there.

More research needs to be done about the mechanisms of how this spirochete is sexually transmitted. Probably less so with saliva, as with HIV it needs a cut in the mouth or some opening to get into the bloodstream. One can only wonder.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the "under our Skin" trailer.

If I recall correctly, in one of the segments, they interview a supposed LD expert (IDSA) who says "there are no studies showing LD can be transmitted from mother to fetus."

They then cut to an LLMD who is flabbergasted by what his colleague has said. He states that there are no studies regarding transmittal from mother to fetus BECAUSE NO STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE! He goes on to say that he has had many cases in which mothers gave birth to babies who tested positive for LD.

Regarding sexual or bodily fluid transmission, there are some studies showing sexual transmission of TBDs in animals, but I cannot find any studies done of humans.

For what it is worth, my wife started having LD symptoms about 2 years after I did, which was about 11 years ago. She and my 2 youngest children have all tested positive for LD. None of them have had any tick contact that we are aware of. My oldest daughter is 15 and does not show any signs of TBDs, but she was born before I think I was infected.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement