LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » menstural irregularities

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: menstural irregularities
janice victorov
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for all the ladies. How many of you have menstrual iregularities? Nothing major just some spotting in between periods?

I know with lyme anything is possible right?

Just looking for some insight.

JKV [loco] : [confused]

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have just skipped 3 months in a row. Just had my hormones checked and they were "normal". How does that make any sense?

I skipped 2 months in a row 2x last year. In between anything goes. It might come every 2 or 3 weeks or it might be 6 weeks.

How does lyme do this?

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I've heard some women actually stop the period all together for a while.

I have appt with the gyno just to be sure.

I could be starting menopause but at 45 a little unlikely don't you think?

How long have you been treating? I've been treating almost nine months. [Smile]

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been sick about a year now.

My cycle was regular before Lyme, or longer than normal, but since the tick bite, it's every two weeks. A time or two it has been longer, or even almost 4 weeks.

That's one of the reasons that I was certain my Lyme was still there after my first 3 months of antibiotic treatment from my regular doctor--I was still cycling every 2 weeks.

It's particularly annoying since I tend to get Lyme flares for 3 days before my period.

I think Lyme messes up your hormones. I also attribute my "emotional flares" to that. Every so often, when my physical Lyme symptoms of pain and fatigue are acting up, I will also get emotional volatility where I get angry, paranoid, depressed, cry all day, and crave carbohydrates. It's like the worst PMS you ever imagined.

Then I wake up a couple days later and feel fine, at least emotionally.

I don't know what Lyme does to the hormones, or what, if anything, we can do that affects that. (Other than I assume it will go back to normal if the Lyme is successfully treated.)

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been treating for 2 years. Cycles were perfect before lyme.

I am 50 so of course I suspected menopause; but hormones came back perfect. Thats the most puzzling to me. Also I don't have any of the very typical symptoms of menopause.

I am going to wait a few months and get them checked again.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't know how long I have had lyme, but at least the past 1-2 years. And during that time, I have consistently spotted 5-7 days before, then have reg for 2-4 days, then spot AGAIN 5 days after.

Drives me nuts. Although the ironic thing is that I no longer get debilitating cramps which was the issue from beginning.

My PMS is terrible as well, and like others, I will wake up one day *suddenly* feeling better emotionally.

Oddly, I had a reprieve from the spotting for 2 cycles, but just this past one, it is back again.

Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

I just started with the spotting and such. Kind of scared me at first as I never had this before.

Although after beginning my treatment for babs the irregualar/spotting started.

What a mess huh?? Atleast now I know I'm not alone and hopefully when all the bugs are gone,this will end. [Smile]

--------------------
jkv44

chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got sick my periods started dissapering! I went to the Gyno and she just basically said oh well not much we can do, it's an Autoimmune reaction.

I of course didn't buy that. With Antibiotics they came back. But the biggest difference was when I got on Nystatin and did a No Yeast diet for a few months. Man I'm ovulating like normal now and a added bonus is that I don't have any pain any more! All my life I had extreme pain, to the point that I would throw up from the pain!

Now for the last 3 months no pain at all!

I say anyone having issues with periods, try to kill the yeast and the Bacteria and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck
Chootik

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my period has stopped now--I'm only 41. It was bonkers irregular for a couple years before that--before treatment. It got worse with treatment actually. ANd the libido! Where the heck did that go?

This thing is crazy. [dizzy] I can't say I miss my periods BUT I DO miss my libido!

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you are in perimenopause? When lyme came on full force I stopped having periods and I never had normal periods again. I was in my early 30's. I was in menopause by the time I was 40. I had lyme for a long time though.

I do think that periods will normalize with appropriate treatment.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My periods are usually very regular - I get killer cramps, though.

Very rarely it gets a bit out of sync. So, I've been taking some female hormone herbs by Solaray. They seem to help. No more spotting & everything is on time. Still bad cramps...

I'm 48... You may want to try some herbs for hormones. This illness really does screw with one's hormones. You may want to look into the other hormone glands like thyroid, adrenal, thymus, etc. They are all connected.

I also take a drop of Dr. Clark's iodine every day or so. This seemed to help my thyroid. You may want to check with a professional first. I don't mind doing some experimentation with myself.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My period stopped four years after the bite. Had an MRI, they thought I had a pituitary tumor and I had brain surgery. No tumor, just hyperplasia, surgeon said he didn't understand me. Medical mystery continued...

It started again when I started treating with clindamycin in 2006, probably about a year after I started treatment.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a connection btwn endometriosis and LD.

Both endometriosis and LD symptoms are improved with a Candida control diet.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the candida diet for a pretty long time - about 6 months if I recall correctly. This was prior to Lyme (or whatever my illness is). It didn't help & it's a big inconvenience if your working or busy.

I went to a wholistic GYN back then & she insisted my cramps were due to candida. I'm not saying it's not good to do this but it's kind of difficult to really stick with it. It may not actually help, either.

Just my opinion... no offense to anyone. For me, Yeast Cleanse by Solaray helped me more than drugs or diet.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Morning,
Thanks for all the great insight. Wondering all of you with the irregular cycles and such does your lyme flare as well.

For example before my irregular cycle I would get my period and have some flaring of lyme symptoms. Now with the irregular cycle, do you find that the lyme symptoms flare as well?

Have a good day and hope to hear from you soon.

[Smile]

--------------------
jkv44

Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janice,

I was starting down the perimenopausal road prior to Lyme, having irregularity, spotting, etc. But after I became ill with Lyme and RMSF, I went 7 months without a period. Then had one in January, and none since. My GYN said it could be the disease....any disease process that serious can mess with your hormones..but t could also just be perimenopause. So no real answer for me. But I have had friends with serious diseases who were not perimenopausal, and stopped having periods for a time at their sickest.

Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitamom
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitamom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whan I fist got bitten (1998) ..before i knew I was sick....would get my peiod...it would stop, I'd get sick...fever, aches, ect. then period would contine when illnss was over. Continued like this for about a year. It was actually my first symptom....
Posts: 83 | From Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
I tried the candida diet for a pretty long time - about 6 months if I recall...[snip]...It didn't help & it's a big inconvenience if your working or busy.

I went to a wholistic GYN back then & she insisted my cramps were due to candida. I'm not saying it's not good to do this but it's kind of difficult to really stick with it.

Hi, Sparkle.
No offense taken here. Thanks for posting more of your experiences.

I'm not a medical professional, just a Lymie.

Trying a Candida control diet for ~6 months was just a very short intro stint for a woman with decades of known gyn problems. The Candida control diet is a permanent lifestyle change for better all-around health, not a short-term fad to "try."

"Killer cramps" are usually endometriosis. And endometriosis is caused by the LD complex. Both are more easily treated when beneficial GI flora is in balance.

Several acupuncturists told me that women in the U.S.A. put up with much longer & much more painful periods than women elsewhere. As we're all aware, most Americans are overweight and suffer from many chronic illnesses that were less common in the early 1900s. This was before high fructose corn syrup was added to numerous foods and many Americans went from eating fresh, whole foods to highly processed "foods".

I definitely agree that switching to a Candida control diet is difficult. Yet it's actually becoming easier every week as more & more restaurants & retailers are jumping on the Gluten Free bandwagon to help Americans back to better health. A new thread could be started on "Making the Switch easy when you're working" or something. I've lots of pointers!

I feel it's WAY more inconvenient to be worn down by hoards of Candida than to learn which packages to put in your cart. Now that I'm back on, stricter than ever, it's GREAT to walk by chocolate and feel NO pull whatsoever! I silenced the parasitic yeasty beasts, again!

I was a sugar addict. My yeast overgrowth had kept me grazing constantly, creating cravings so the parasites would get fed.

After my first endo surgery (Emergency appendectomy I didn't need; an endometrial growth had deformed my appendix.), my first acupuncturist told me that he could "push a truck up a hill to heal [me], or we can get rid of your yeast problem and coast along together."

When I came to that acupuncturist, I'd not been able to walk upright for nearly a yr due to crippling post-op pain. I still worked a very high-profile job; had to. He said he could get me better in 6 wks. I bought the cookbook he suggested, opened up all my cabinets and gave 4 bags of groceries away at work, then began the job of finding new ways to eat. Couldn't walk more than three houses down the road, but then I was walking WAY better in 4 wks.

I've posted this on other threads and have NO $$/benefit from this. My well-worn fav Candida book is The Candida Control Cookbook: What You Should Know and What You Should Eat to Manage Yeast Infections by Gail Burton. It has recipes the whole family can enjoy and you can even use to entertain. Tips for what to get in a restaurant, etc. Whenever I lend it to a friend, they buy their own copy immediately.

Everyone is different. ymmv.
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just happened on this thread when I was looking on here.

Having an unusual period this month; the only other time this happened was before Lyme was even in the picture, in 2007.

My period started normally, at the expected time. It lasted 3 days, as usual, stopped, and now has started again. I'm cramping too--not severely, just feels like a gut ache.

It has been a full week, and it's still going, not heavy, but about moderate.

I know that's probably nothing to get upset about, but it's just a bit unnerving, wondering what's causing it.

Most likely it's stress--I;ve had a HORRIBLE month with my church, and we have ended up leaving the church we've been at for 10 years. I have been very angry and distressed over the hurts that have occurred, and I cry at least once a day over something related to the mess.

So I'm sure I'm just responding to being stressed, but I'm also very fatigued and just don't feel well. In between insurances right now ir I'd go see the gyno just to check things out. Can't help worrying it's something serious.

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last period was Dec. 6, spotting for 2 weeks, just got period today. With all the mind crap going on, do we really need this on top of it?? I'm 47 and it just showed perimenopause. Stress comes out in ALL forms..

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had normal periods every 28 days like clockwork for years, even for years after starting treatment. Now, after three years treatment, 90% well and on anti malarials for babs, they are wacky.

Not sure what to think about it. They are now every 24 days. One cycle will be heavy and painful, painful cramping, the next will be light, short and pain free. Go figure.

One thing I had that was normal during lyme! Now it's out of whack!?

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding beets to my diet (something I never really ate) has really helped to bring my mentrual difficulties to a more manageable level.

Seriously. I stumbled on this the past few months. I can't believe this actually works, but it does,

Just before I was diagnosed with lyme (in 2008), I was trying to schedule an 'endometrial ablation'. My bloodwork was abnormal so I couldn't have the surgery, I saw a hematologist whose workup showed everything was normal and sent me back, only to say that my bloodwork was abnormal again...
(the same old routine)

My point is, I have suffered for years with heavy, painful, irregular periods with clotting and rectal pains (TMI, I know -sorry), I do use a topical prescribed progesterone cream, but adding beets, and freshly made beet juice to my diet (not too much) has made the MOST difference than any remedy recommended by my gyn or llmd.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cycles were always every 28 days until about two years ago.

Now they vary every 23-31 days.

I am 46 so I am blaming hormones, not Lyme.

If I have a heavy, painful period one month the next month next month it's less in length and flow.

The cramps now have gotten as bad as they were when I was a teen.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igor's mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igor's mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 49 and my cycles started going weird about 2 years ago, one would last 6 weeks then skip a month then have a normal period, then no period again, the periods were worse too than they used to bo. I only got tested positive for lyme this year but I think maybe I was positive a year or two ago and maybe that plus perimenopause added enough stress to my body, that it just started to react to the LD. It also coudl just be a small change in homrones from perimenopause. All I know is now with LD I am way more emotional, more anxiety, more pain and the periods are less normal in duration and flow.

--------------------
Igenenex + IGM 18, 23-25, 31, 41, 66, FL 1953, bart, babs, erlich, c diff. Dox 10/10,11/10-5/11 Mino, Buluoke,plaq (2/10) zith (3/11-5/11), Paragone, Flagyl, Ivermectin, Paromomycin, Ceftin, Nystatin(4/11) mepron (4/11-)BW A-L , A-Bart, A-Bab.

Posts: 254 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one4islands--That's kind of how I was. Before my 2nd child, I was every 28 days like clockwork, never varied.

Since the 2nd child, I've been crazy, 23 days to 30 days, to 25 days for a couple months, to 31 days. I started charting my cycles, and did so for a year and a half, and brought the chart to my gyno. She said that's actually nnormal for my age (I'll be 42 next month). She said not to worry unless my periods started coming less than every 21 days or started getting unbearably painful or heavy.

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium deficiency can seriously mess with your menstrual cycle by inducing hormonal imbalance.

http://www.calmnatural.co.uk/magnesium-deficiency

Carolyn Dean, MD, North Dakota, states that one of the 22 conditions magnesium deficiency may trigger or cause, is hormonal imbalance leading to premenstrual syndrome (PMS); dysmenorrhoea (cramping pain during menses); infertility; premature contractions, preeclampsia and eclampsia in pregnancy.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nascarz2882
Member # 27014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nascarz2882     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is 15, and has Lyme...Her cycle has been every 2 weeks..
Posts: 1 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel1
Member # 22227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariel1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had irregular periods, heavier flows, and longer periods prior to treatment.

At the beginning of treatment, I bled heavily and passed clots.

Now, everything is almost normal and lighter.

Posts: 88 | From DC Metro area | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel1:
I had irregular periods, heavier flows, and longer periods prior to treatment.

At the beginning of treatment, I bled heavily and passed clots.

Now, everything is almost normal and lighter.

Ariell....Thank you for posting this. I am having a heck of a time now with my periods.

I am 44 next month. My periods got bad when I got sick, but when I started abx's, it has gotten oh so much worse. I'm talking nightmarish.

How long into your treatment did things get better?

If I wasn't so sick, I'd be begging my ob-gyn to rip that sucker out. I've had about all I can stand and feel like if Lyme doesn't kill me, my period will.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement