LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chiropractor anyone use one

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chiropractor anyone use one
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you may have been following my diagnosis of lyme has been very hard. Even my LLMDs arent for sure... through stony brook I had zero bands positive. now doing ABX challenge and going through igenex.

I went to a chiro today though cause I got the apt for $15 its a new practice.... He also does nutrition and seemed to be more like a osteopath.

he did some mid back work but I told him I would not allow him to adjust my neck which he said I needed but instead we compromised and he wrote me a script for x rays before he adjust.

Also, got some electrical stimulation of some sort on my upper back/ shoulder blades and a chiropractic massage.

In all my treatment it has probably helped me second to abx... he even addressed infections and how they could be the cause of my problems. I didnt bring up lyme.

However, I have heard some bad things about chiropractors and the things they can do to you... Just looking for opinions.

Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a chiropractor to be a big help. I just used him for adjusting my joints (he does pretty much my whole body, not just my back).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe in some Chiro, but don't like the "rack and rack" methods. I prefer NUCCA / Axis Orthogonal.

Before being diagnosed with Lyme & co, I went to a chiropractor thinking it was stress. I felt great after the first visit, but considerably worse than ever after the second. I mean, I walked out a different person.

I of course freaked out and thought it was stroke due to neck twisting and went to the ER. It wasn't.

The hypothesis now is the chiro released some Lyme from joints / muscles and it got in my ears / vestibular system and gave me Labyrinthitis. Yuck.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you find a good one stick with him.

Chiros go to chiro college longer than MDs go to med school.

Which chiro college did he go to ?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got anything amazing out of chiros. Either they tried to sell me everything and the kitchen sink or they just did adjustments and had no clue about Lyme/TBIs. I have yet to encounter any educated on the topics I need.

I'm NOT saying some aren't very educated. Some certainly provide 'temporary relief' of musculoskeletal issues too. But, none are what I consider an overall caregiver.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek, what the help was for me is that my left side got weak with Lyme so my body got twisted. I have been seeing a chiropractor because much of my shoulder and lower back pain was from this twisting. Using the chiropractor in addition to evening out my musculature with Pilates is what has gotten my more even. Just getting adjusted and not fixing the underlying muscular problem would not have fixed it.

You make a good point.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

seek - it can really depend on the school + the state. I went to WSCC in OR, where chiros were trained in minor surgery, birthing, ob-gyn + a lot more.

We also had extensive training in X-rays (radiology).

Also depends on the individual too. Sounds like you have not really found a good one yet.

Dowse to find your next one.

Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
six,

my left side is also very weak... he said all my reflexes are shot, which he actually said is better than just one reflex being shot.

Massman,

I could not find on his site what school he graduated from, but he has the diplomas and certificates on the walls in his office. I will check next week.

Seekhelp,
he really didnt try to sell me anything... espicially less than the $450 in supplements the LLMDs try to sell me... he did recommend three whole foods supplements (he only sells supplements made from real foods which I liked).

Also, he really wanted to tackle my immune system since he said the appendix (which I had removed) is part of it which I had never heard. He recommended a supplement with thymus gland extract in it or something... I dont know.

Overall, it was a good experience... It made me feel almost as good as acupuncture and it was only $15..

Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Also, seek I agree with massman... I actually got thinking about chiros when I was living in NY but couldnt chum up the money to see one.

My roommate said at first she had the same experience you are describing bad chiros... but then she found a good one and it really did wonders for her.

I think its like LLMDs you have to find one that cures or gets people into remission not just treats.

kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had an amazing chiropractor all through high school and he worked on me for free... he helped me more than any doctor ever has!

one day i went to my family practice doctor for an ear ache, and he told me i was completely fine... i told him i was on my way to the chiropractor and he lectured me that chiropractors were quacks. what a joke! as soon as the chiropractor started adjusted me he said "has your left ear been hurting?"... i was shocked, because i hadn't even mentioned it, and he could tell... he gave me a good pop and the pain immediately went away!

i haven't been since i moved away, but i definitely believe if i could still go it would help me!

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Ahodge01 and various Lyme Folk Here >>>>>,

TxC' and I both went to a couple of Chiros years back in Louisiana. They actually were a great help !!!

And when we needed some surgeries they even gave us the name of a couple of very helpful Doctors.

Until we could have the needed surgeries,they were a huge help!!!

I think a good Chiro can do a lot to help us improve health,especially an LL Chiro [ I am checking on a possibility soon!!!] !!!

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never really any help for my back pain due to Lyme.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by massman:
it can really depend on the school + the state.
I went to WSCC in OR, where chiros were trained in minor surgery, birthing, ob-gyn + a lot more.

Massman and others,
I'd be interested to hear opinions about which chiropractic colleges may produce some of the better educated & well-rounded professionals.

Also interested in the names of chiropractic colleges that raise red flags due to concerns about the indoctrination and limited approach of the graduates.

Btw, I've been treated by several chiropractors (never for LD & co's) with some success and have a favorable impression of the field overall. But I've seen problems, too, due to a MUCH too narrow focus and rigid ideology on the part of some.

I share the concerns brought up by numerous other posters about our necks when we've got LD and the potential to aggravate, exacerbate, or even spread the pathogens to other areas after a chiropractic adjustment.

I'd appreciate web links to scientific articles on better/safer/gentler chiro techniques so I can be more comfortable about getting a "Lyme-safe" chiropractic adjustment.

Thanks,
Smile

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like any doctor, you have to ask around to find a good one in your area.

One of my best friends is a chiropractor. He graduated from Logan, near St. Louis. I was lucky because he came home every couple months on break and he would always give me an adjustment before he went back. It worked out well for the both of us, he was excited to share his new skills and I was in need of proper alignment!

I have visited other chiropractors but none have been as good and thorough as my friend. They all seemed too cautious, treated me like I was going to break and didn't really do anything to help me feel better.

I have had good experiences with D.O.'s in the past. They learn a lot in school but some do not practice their skills. So again, you have to find someone experienced.

Ahodge, if cost is an issue, give the Logan a call. I see that you live near St. Louis, they have a student clinic where you could receive treatments at a reduced cost.

Take care [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Will get back AM.
NanaB
Member # 26227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot tolerate regular chiropractic or osteopathic adjustments. I did try Atlas Orthogonal and thought that was helping but I had to have two or three treatments a week to feel any benefit. My insurance only pays for 12 a year and the cost was eating us alive.

I also tried a "hold and release" method - can't think of the name of it, from an occupational therapist. It helped while I was lying on the table but as soon as I'd get up and start moving around all of the pain would come back.

Myofascial Release helps some but I cannot tolerate very much pressure. I did notice, however, that my muscles were relaxing so much that my back was adjusting itself without and chiro. I saw a chiro in the KC metro area who did nothing but this for patients with pain-type syndromes like fibromyalgia, of which is one of my many diagnosis, but the infectious diseases doc thinks I may have Lyme instead.

--------------------
Dx with Lyme & homozygous for MTHFR. Antibiotics & nutritional IV's didn't help.

Posts: 57 | From Kansas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been going to a chiro/osteopath who uses an integrative approach (including the electrical therapy you mention) and it has been incredibly helpful.

The chiro is knowledgeable about my Lyme and has been able to identify areas where I have pain with very little guidance from me. At times some of the therapy is painful, but the results I'm getting from the adjustments and deep tissue work are worth it.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement