LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why is it always the LEFT SIDE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is it always the LEFT SIDE?
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said there is a 3:1 ratio of (neuro) symptoms occuring on the left side of the body with Lyme disease. Many of you will recognize this as true for yourselves, and/or from talking to others.

But does anyone know WHY this is the case???

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious too. Most of my symptoms are on the left side as well.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjckelley
Member # 25205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjckelley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to know the answer to this. When I was being tested for MS they found a spot of inflammation on my brain stem that the neuro said was indicative of my left side symptoms. Now I wonder if something else is involved with this now that I've tested positive for Lyme.
Posts: 37 | From Eastern North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not a LL reply:

According to metaphysical teacher, Louise L. Hay, the left side of the body represents receptivity, taking in, feminine energy, women, and the mother. She suggests trying a new thought pattern such as "My feminine energy is beautifully balanced," if you have troubles with the left side of your body.

In her book You Can Heal Your Life, Ms. Hay suggests problems on the right side of the body may be caused by trouble giving out, letting go, masculine energy, men, and the father. Try the affirmation: "I balance my masculine energy easily and effortlessly."

[spinning smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tjckelley:
When I was being tested for MS they found a spot of inflammation on my brain stem that the neuro said was indicative of my left side symptoms. Now I wonder if something else is involved with this now that I've tested positive for Lyme.

What do you mean, tjc?

EDIT: Oh you mean you wonder if the Lyme caused it instead of possible MS? I know the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa but I forget what happens to that once it reaches the brain stem (whether it's still opposite or not).

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your left side is normally weaker than your right.. unless you are left-handed perhaps?

I am TOTALLY guessing. That is not a medical opinion or fact.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping in mind too...

Many have noted that when bitten in a specific spot the worst of your symptoms are often in that area of your body.

Same with if bitten on your left leg... then left leg symptoms often prevail... or your right shoulder... then symptoms flare worse there.

Another total guess.... thinking out loud.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjckelley
Member # 25205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjckelley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Elizabeth, that's what I meant. I didn't fit the full diagnostic criteria for MS they were going to say probable...or call it "CIS".

I don't ever remember being bitten but maybe that has something to do with it Tincup...good guess and the left side is often weaker...

Posts: 37 | From Eastern North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about the hemispheric dominance as well, Tincup, because that's almost the same ratio of people who are left-handed vs right-handed, isn't it? Yet I have a left-handed friend who still has the left-sided thing happening, so what then! [Eek!]

But I can't agree about the spot of the bite, because I got bit in the center of my scalp, on top my head! [lol]

And tjc, since you were found out to have Lyme I'm so glad they didn't diagnose you as MS.

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm, strange, all m;y symptoms are on the right side...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My symptoms are all over the place. It 1st started in the right shoulder. Then went to the knees and the top of my legs on the back. Going to the bathroom was a nightmare! It would jump from one knee to the other. Now its in the upper half of my body. Migrates between both wrists and shoulders. Hands very stiff but theyre not killing me like my shoulders and wrists. I never know when or where its going to strike next. Makes me nuts.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neuro symptoms are on the right side predominantly. Interestingly I was having a lot of problems with my right ear around the same time the lyme symptoms started happening. My right ear has been ringing and swollen since that time. Maybe the spirochetes were taking advantage of weakness.
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MurphyNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MurphyNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm left handed and the majority of my symptoms were on my left side. I was also bitten on the left side (chest/underarm area).

Just adding to the stats [Smile]

Posts: 108 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My L side is much worse than my R, thought I was nuts! [loco]
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get neuro symptoms on both sides, but left side worse for me too. No idea what the science is behind it, but my doc said that's probably where I was bit.
Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My left side is definitely the worse. Even when I get brain fog, mainly on the left side as well.

How interesting don't you think? [Smile]

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have muscle twitching/spasms on both sides-everywhere, but the strongest is on the LEFT side. I wonder why as well.
Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a horrible left side and a great right side.
My left side feels heavy and my right side is just fun.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill+1
Member # 24446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill+1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am left handed and almost all my symptoms are on the left side . the brian fog kind of stuff is all over my head .

as time has went by the left facial numbness and pain is creepind across to the right side . [dizzy]

just my 2 cents worth . BILL

--------------------
Wishing us all well !

Posts: 99 | From Southern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My left side also has the most symptoms at this time, but over the years it has been on both.

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess I'm the weirdo... My symptoms are (were) mostly on the right side.

But - the bite that pushed me over the edge was on the right side of my head - the side that has irreversible inner ear damage caused by infection; the the side that is affected by trigeminal neuralgia... So I think that's the reason.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my left side is worse too. vision problems in the left eye and skin issues have been worse on the left. very interesting!

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
IGM positive Western Blot (Bb)
PCR positive Spiro Stat (Anaplasma)
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, worse on the left side.

I wonder whether there is something to TC's theory of where the bite originated (I mean, given that we've all contracted it as an STD and by sharing drinks etc., plus all the times we've been bitten but the ticks were so tiny we'd never know).

The bulls-eye rash that appeared after I took my first or second shot of bicillin appeared on my left scapula. Dr. S. in CA hypothesizes that where the rash shows up during treatment is where the bite likely was.

I always figured because I am a guitarist, and canoe on my left side, and likely quite right brain dominant though I am right handed, it was better eatin'. [dizzy]

xo

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt the side of the tick bite has anything to do with which side your neuro symptoms show up, because then there would also have to be a 3:1 chance of getting a tick bite on the left side of your body, in order to fit the correlation. And that is implausible.

But that said, it sure is a mystery!

canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right!

--------------------

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bitten on the right side of my neck and my symptoms have been more on the right. I could not use my right arm off and on several times. But the jerking was in my left arm.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More on Left.

Maybe it is because of route of blood once it is in the vessels-it gets stuck there more, like in our hands and feet, or the nerves to the left side are more handy to infect than the right...

Actually our rt side of the brain controls the left and visa versa in most people. Which may be a good argument for IV treatment.

But I am sure our LLMD's have clues.

[ 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Pinelady ]

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

I should mention that this has improved significantly since being treated for Bartonella.

--------------------

Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canbravelyme:
I should mention that this has improved significantly since being treated for Bartonella.

Same here. I do wonder whether its' the bart or the lyme that's causing this left-sided thing, becuase I had lyme for years but only after getting bart did my left side start to have more problems than my right. but since bart is the most common co-infeciton with lyme, i guess it's hard to distinguish. one thing is certain though, and that's bart doesn't get NEAR enough "credit" for being a primarily neurological infectious disease! sometimes I think it's more in my brain than the lyme is!
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a physical therapist yesterday. She said one reason many people have pain mostly on the left side is because of more blood flow so more fibrous tissue forms.

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement