LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diagnosed with Lyme Disease Today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diagnosed with Lyme Disease Today
leanne33
Member # 26411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leanne33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the ER tonight because yesterday and today I was feeling fatigued/dizzy and I had a fever today. I thought I probably had the flu, so I just slept today. I was about to go back to sleep when my leg started bothering me. Yesterday morning I noticed a painful red bump on the back of my knee. Well, when I looked at it today, it had a ring around the outside. Immediately I start thinking Lyme Disease.

So, I jumped in my car and went to the ER. The DR said I was lucky that I caught it early. He gave me some fluids and started me on antibiotics. I get doxy tomorrow. He gave me a 3 wk prescription. Told me to follow up with family doctor now and then in 4 weeks get a blood test done again.

So, I got home tonight and started researching and found this site. I just wanted to post and maybe get some advice or suggestions about treatment. I will probably be checking in here a lot. This has me a little freaked out.

Posts: 20 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a LOT of reading. If you got 200 mg a day of Doxy, it's NOT enough. Regular docs can be oblivious on how to treat this illness. Also, I assume they cared less or didn't even mention co-infections like Babesia, Bartonella, RMSF, etc??
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leanne33 I would take antibiotic for at least 3 mths. after all symptoms have passed.

For me personally I would seek a LLMD knowing what I have had to go through, to be sure it is all gone.

The tests are unreliable but most LLMD's have enough experience to say all is ok or not.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leanne33
Member # 26411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leanne33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice. That is why I am here. I just looked at the prescription. It is 100mg 2x per day. I have an appt with my dr on Friday and I will see what she says. The nurse I had tonight told me she had it and ended up having to get knee replacement. Talk about scaring your patient!
Posts: 20 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did the right thing by going to the ER and getting some abx. You caught it early so your chances of a full recovery are excellent.

I'm sure you have the highest regards for your family doctor, but most family doctors know very little about lyme disease. If you really want to treat this disease appropriately, you need to see a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD). Some family doctors are very limited in their knowledge of this disease. Many of them will deny it even exists in their state. For those who are familiar with it, they usual put you on three weeks of doxy.

For someone who's recently been bitten by a tick 200 mg of doxy a day is really not enough. Your LLMD may want to treat you for up to three months, possibly longer. The only person who can really diagnose this disease accurately is a LLMD. Your best bet is to go to a LLMD asap and let him/her diagnose you and decide what the best course of treatment is for you.

Do not under any circumstance accept that Lyme doesn't exist in your state--it indeed does! Do not under any circumstances allow your doctor to minimize this potentially devastating disease by under treating you and telling you it's "nothing to worry about".

If you get treated by a qualified LLMD at this stage of the game, it most likely will be "nothing to worry about", but you need to be treated by a LLMD, not your family doctor.

Just read this forum and see how many people here are suffering needlessly because their family doctor told them it was nothing to be concerned about.

If you'd like to get a list of websites that provide LLMD referrals, send me a pm and I will be glad to provide you with this information.

Better yet, go to "Seeking a Doctor" here and ask for a LLMD referral in your area. Several people will respond to you with a pm and give you names of doctors.

You've got a great chance of recovering from this disease--IF you see a LLMD and get a proper diagnosis and the appropriate treatment. The sooner you act--the better off you'll be.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's good that the ER recognized the rash. But, they are not complete in their knowledge of lyme. Take some photos of your rash for your file and future doctors.

You do NOT need a repeat blood test for lyme. Ever. The bulls eye rash is the determining sign.

You will need to be assessed for other tick-borne infections, though.

And 3 weeks' treatment is not nearly long enough. And, as mentioned above, the dose is also far too low. Sorry.

You will need an ILADS-educated LLMD as soon as possible. Good luck.

======================

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/

Locate your area lyme SUPPORT GROUP for suggestions in finding a LLMD and adjunct LL professionals.

They may also have literature or DVDs of ILADS seminars to share.

=====================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

SEEKING A DOCTOR Forum
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This is not at all to scare you, so remember that knowledge is power. This is just the tip of what a patient needs to know. Hopefully, you can get a good ILADS LLMD. I would not count on your family doctor -at all. Most are really not at all educated and go by the IDSA guidelines - which are horrible.

All that is outlined here, the politics and the division between doctors:

* This explains WHY you need an ILADS LLMD or ILADS LL ND (naturopathic doctor) to guide your treatment protocol.

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR" - 2007

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

". . . If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided. . . ."

- Full article at link above.

=======================

http://cassia.org/checklist.htm

Symptom checklist for lyme.

=================

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

====================

www.ilads.org

ILADS

====================

www.igenex.com

IGENEX - testing for various tick-borne infections (tests are best determined by a LLMD)

====================

Dr C's Western Blot explanation is discussed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

=====================

In addition to the usual coinfections from ticks (such as babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, RMSF, etc.), there are some other chronic stealth infections that an excellent LLMD should know about:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069911#000000

TIMACA #6911 posted 03 August, 2008

I would encourage EVERY person who has received a lyme diagnosis to get the following tests.

- at link.

=======================

http://www.lymepa.org/html/dr__j__burrascano_september_20_0.html

Burrascano's Powerpoint SLIDE presentation 9-20-08

------------

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

** Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease **

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages

======================

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

CURE UNKNOWN: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (2008) - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment.

http://www.cureunknown.com

=======================

http://www.underourskin.com

Documentary: UNDER OUR SKIN

DVD is $35. and worth every penny. It explains a lot about the politics of lyme.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
These are detailed elsewhere but it will take time to find it. To start, in addition to the abx, these are important.

* PROBIOTICS. Be sure to get some good Probiotics to avoid a systemic yeast/candida infection that is often caused by antibiotics destroying our good-guy bacteria in the gut. Take them at times opposite the abx (antibiotics).

* OLE. Olive Leaf Extract would also be good (do not take at the same time as probiotics. OLE can help prevent candida and also help in other ways.

* GINGER CAPSULES may help reduce the dizziness. Take with food until you see how you do with it. Not too late in the day as it can be a little stimulating for some people.

* MILK THISTLE (for liver support) is necessary for all lyme patients. (See Dr. B's guidelines above).

* MAGNESIUM glycinate or citrate is very good. EPSON SALTS in a warm (not hot) bath, too.

* Avoid alcohol, steroids, artificial sweeteners, sugar, MSG . . . eat healthful foods and rest as best you can. Gentle exercise only (no aerobics). Again, all in Dr. B's guidelines. Stevia (from plants is fine to use if it's pure. SweetLeaf brand or Trader Joe's are good).

Good luck.

================

It's very important to have this book as a reference tool for self-care and support measures. It answers so many questions in detail that is impossible here on the forum.

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com
-

sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Burrascano apparently says 4-6 weeks for early stage Lyme, at 400 mg Doxycycline per day. So 200 mg twice a day.

But he also says not to go off the antibiotics if you are still symptomatic. So if they symptoms go away quickly, 4-6 weeks should be enough, according to some notes someone here took from a talk Dr. B gave.

It's important to not take any mineral supplements or dairy products an hour before to 2-3 hours after your Doxy. The minerals in milk block the antibiotic's absorption.

Good luck! You caught it early which is the best thing you can do. I would try to insist on a higher dose if you can.

Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leanne,
You should be on Abx for a full FOUR weeks beyond ANY signs, symptoms or issues... Minimum.
200mg twice a day is a good starting point for doxycycline dosage for the average weight adult.

But most PCPs will follow the IDSA's recommendation of 100mg b.i.d. (twice a day) which is why you need to seek out a Dr who's experienced in Lyme treatment. Good luck!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leanne:

1st you probably won't be able to schedule an appt. with a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor within 6 weeks and you should be on doxy (with the correct dose level) for that long. See Dr. B's Advanced Treatment in Lyme Disease referenced above.

So even if your MD is prescribing 3 weeks make sure you can refill fro 3 more and stick to it.

2nd the Infectious Disease Society Guidelines (which are flawed) only recommend 3 weeks of doxy and most Dr's. follow this.

3rd when a Dr. orders a Lyme blood test the Lab's automatically do the Elisa Test (easy and cheap to do) which has a 45+% false negative (note since you have the rash we'll all guarantee you have Lyme, but were not MD's).

When this test is negative then they don't do the Western Blot, a more extensive test but can also high false negatives.

In your case especially for Elisa its too early probably too soon for your body to be producing the anti body to register (band 30). I've read it takes between 2 to 4 weeks.

Take the doxy as it will cover Lyme and Erlicha but I don't believe it covers Babesia and Bart.

Read on Doxy side effects (you'll need pro biotics - replace the good bacteria you'll be killing) and especially avoid the sun for the doxy burn.

Good luck and its better to be safe than sorry. If not treated propertly early this can be turn into a nightmare as most here can attest to.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leanne33
Member # 26411

Thank you so much. I have one more question for now. The bite area is very painful. It was before, but it seems to be getting worse. does anyone know if this is normal?
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leanne33,

you might want to post this question seperately. You will get more responses.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leanne,
I would call your doctor and tell them you lost your meds. (lie) and get a refill asap. That way you can either double up on the dose with the extra pills, or you can last another 3 weeks past your initial three weeks.
If it was me, I would try to double up to 400 a day and then try to get to an LLMD asap.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe a tick bite after removal (Did you get it all Out?) should be "very painful" & "getting worse".
If the pain doesn't (hadn't) subside(d) by late-morning, I'd seek medical attention.
There MAY be something else going on here.
Did you wash it well initially? How long since the tick was on ya?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinelady:
[QB] leanne33 I would take antibiotic for at least 3 mths. after all symptoms have passed.

For me personally I would seek a LLMD knowing what I have had to go through, to be sure it is all gone.

The tests are unreliable but most LLMD's have enough experience to say all is ok or not.

Amen!

and amen to getting more meds. You could also go to a walk-in clinic and show them your bullseye. Get meds! I would want 400mg a day myself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement