LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FYI-gluten intolerance, children's symptom of red ears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FYI-gluten intolerance, children's symptom of red ears
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've just learned from a Lyme-literate doc why a child Lymie's ears often get red (when no other part of the body is red, and when there isn't any external reason for the redness):

GLUTEN INTOLERANCE!

Red ears are not just one more weird manifestation of Lyme; they are apparently a clear-cut symptom of gluten intolerance in children.

This doc believes that GI-related issues, including food intolerances, play a MAJOR role in slowing or halting Lyme kids' recovery.

We just put our son on a gluten and dairy free diet, are heaping on the probiotics, and started him on supplements that aid food absorption and digestion.

I hope I can report back in a few weeks and tell interested parents that adding this regime to abx made a huge difference for the better.

[ 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: sometimesdilly ]

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same goes for adults with Lyme Disease.
Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this goes well for you. I know I'd rather be sick myself than watch my child go through it.
Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but do adults get the related reddened ears?

i never have, nor do i remember reading here that other adults did, which is not to say it isn't common.

my chief interest in passing along the info is to give parents of children with Lyme another problem-solving tool to help their kids.

Having to untangle causes and effects, "normal" vs. Lyme behavior vs. other things going on, etc. etc., is IMO a large part of why it is so difficult to parent a young child with Lyme.

red ears are easy to spot and are a very un-subjective, symptom. that responding to this single symptom might help pave the way to better health for our kids is good news....

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the good wishes, Sophie.

it will go well, as the change in diet can only be a good thing.

best case: it'll turn out that some or many of our son's remaining symptoms were food related and voila, instant presto better health.

worse case: symptoms remain unchanged, but our son eats healthily every meal every day, no exceptions, and repairs his gut, which strengthens his body's abiltity to fight on..

JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesdilly:

i never have, nor do i remember reading here that other adults did, which is not to say it isn't common.

my chief interest in passing along the info is to give parents of children with Lyme another problem-solving tool to help their kids.

Having to untangle causes and effects, "normal" vs. Lyme behavior vs. other things going on, etc. etc., is IMO a large part of why it is so difficult to parent a young child with Lyme.

red ears are easy to spot and are a very un-subjective, symptom. that responding to this single symptom might help pave the way to better health for our kids is good news....

Yes- flaming red ears. Mine were easy to spot because they stick out- and my LLMD never failed to comment on them. He said he has seen it in other adults with LD. I also have gluten sensitivity if not Celiac(just never got tested)
Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

JR- are you on a gluten-free diet? and, if so, has it made a difference?
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.allergie-immune-de (English version)

You can easily eliminate any gluten and wheat intolerance/allergy/dysregulation with this therapy. Thousands of people have done it, permanently, and a lot of Lymenetters are doing just that. Read the thread. Dr. K. just started this therapy for himself and told me that his wheat problems, a lifelong problem, are now gone.

My grandchildren are just getting tested and will start the therapy in a few days. MANY PROBLEMS START WITH THE MASSIVE VACCINATIONS THAT INFANTS ARE GETTING AND MANY ALLERGIES/DYSREGULATIONS ARE INHERITED JUST AS THE BLUE EYES AND THE TALENTS.
My whole family will be doing the therapy, daughters-in-law and all.

My husband and son have cleared it also and a lot of changes are happening because of it. All it takes is 15 drops of water infused with the correcting frequencies taking it for 14 days. It is that simple. The leaky gut can start to heal and a lot of problems are being eliminated when the immune system starts to come alive and take over again. Ear infections in children are a thing of the past when the allergies are treated in that manner.

Most Lymenetters are also allergic to all fungi/mucor/penicillins as well as heavy metals. and to many of the 80,000 chemicals that are heaped upon us. All are being eliminated with this therapy. My son had years of stuffy nose, chest, throat and now, and snoring, but after clearing also many of the chemicals, is unloading untold amounts of "gunk" out of head and lungs. Plus the toxic metals remaining from amalgams that had been removed years ago, is also leaving his body now, without any great problems.

Energy medicine at its best.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my two sons were young, they used to get red, flaming ears from food colorings, especially the RED coloring in candies, popsicles, etc.

This is actually not uncommon.

Gluten intolerance is rampant in my family, and no one gets red ears from that.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Religiously gluten free for several years- but have since been slacking- and notice the difference- need to stop eating wheat again for bowels sake.
As far as red ears-I don't even realize I have them unless someone says something-and no body has said anything for the past year.
I am no longer on antibiotics for LD.
BTW- I still have my teeth and their amalgams.

So yes- going gluten free does make a difference- and it's not that hard to do with all the gluten free products on the market now. We did a lot of brown rice, kasha, and quonia. Almond butter on gluten free bread is delicious.

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

thank you Gigi and Merit and JR...

i was a skeptic on this, but real life results are in and irrefutable. my son is definitely allergic to all things wheat.

the gluten free diet has made a HUGE difference in behavior and appetite.

to parents of kids with Lyme whose symptoms don;t seem to be clearing:

try eliminating gluten and see what happens. it can't hurt and you may be happily surprised by the difference eliminating all things wheat may make!!

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
On a similar note: FOOD & MEDICINE DYE "Every year, about 15 million pounds of these dyes wind up in our food . . ."
-------------------

[No mention of this, but these are also used in pharmaceuticals.]

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/30/food-dyes-a-health-risk/?hpt=Sbin

June 30th, 2010

CNN Health ``The Chart''

Group urges ban of 3 common dyes

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) says food dyes pose a number of risks to the American public and is calling on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ban three of the most commonly used dyes: Red 40, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6.

A new CSPI report says those dyes contain known carcinogens and contaminants that unnecessarily increase the risks of cancer, hyperactivity in children and allergic reactions.

"These synthetic chemicals do absolutely nothing to improve the nutritional quality or safety of foods, but trigger behavior problems in children and, possibly, cancer in anybody," said CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson, co-author of the report.

"The Food and Drug Administration should ban dyes, which would force industry to color foods with real food ingredients, not toxic petrochemicals." . . .

. . . According to the report, tests done on lab animals found contaminants that raised health concerns about several of the nine dyes currently approved for market.

The approved dyes are Blue 1 & 2, Citrus Red 2, Green 3, Orange B, Red 3 & 40 and Yellow 5 & 6.

And every year, about 15 million pounds of these dyes wind up in our food, with alot of it ending up in things like candy, fruit drinks and cereals.

. . . Britain in 2008 . . . .

For example, CSPI says McDonald's Strawberry Sundaes get their color from fresh strawberries. The group says in the United States the color comes from Red dye 40. CSPI say in the UK, Fanta orange soda coloring comes from pumpkins and carrot extract.

Here, it says the color comes from Red 40 and Yellow 6 dye. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesdilly:

I do!!! And I know I've heard others here say the same thing. Try a search!

OH... and I'm gluten intolerant!

I'm having digestive issues now and would like to know which supps you're using for that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement