LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to take Mepron and Zith

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to take Mepron and Zith
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking Ceftin and Flagyl for Lyme. I have been receiving advice from a very prominent retired LLMD who is an expert in the field of Lyme in BC. He has been advising me on medications and dosing requirements. Unfortunately, I have lost contact with him and the last he told me was to take mepron and zith for Babesia. I have the script but dont know how to fit it in with the ceftin and flagyl. I take ceftin at 1000mg per day and flagyl at 750 mgs per day for 2 weeks now. I have been on abx for a total of 48 days after a 3 month infection. I know its important to see an LLMD and I am working on that but in the meantime I need to get the babs under control. Thanks for the help!

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished 9 months of zith 500mgs 1xday and mepron 2tsp 2x day...made great progress-slow but steady. I don't know about adding Ceftin and Flagyl to the zith and mepron.

If not followed under a llmd, I would not mess around with adding abx ontop of each other...you can do more harm than good!

Why not just try the zith and mepron till you get into llmd.. this combo is for babs!

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenn: It does sound like a good plan to just go on the zith and mepron but I have read that stopping ceftin can make the bacteria resistent to antibiotics, so Im a bit reluctant to do that just yet. I havent started on the combo yet trying some natural parasite remedies right now.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

I guess what I meant to ask was can you take zith and mepron at the same time or does it need to be pulsed?

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're gonna take all 4 things at once? If so, I'm not sure about that as a combo. I have no knowledge or experience with that particular grouping.

What I can say is that you need to take mepron with a fatty food--10mg of fat I think--peanut butter works or any regular dinner which includes meat. This helps it get absorbed better. Also, do not take CoQ10 while taking mepron.

The zith can be taken at the same time as the mepron.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

up

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lululymemom,

I am on Babesia treatment; Mepron 2 tsp twice a day, Zithromax 600 mg. once a day, and tindamax (same class of antibiotic as flagyl) 500 mg. twice a day.

I used to be on Ceftin, but I don't think it is used for Babesia.

You can do a drug interaction check to see if there are any interactions. It showed none.

Make sure you add one antibiotic at a time, every few days, to be sure you can handle them. Start slowly on mepron, and work up to one tsp. twice a day, and then in a few months try to get to two tsp. twice a day.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

nspiker: Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think it would be okay to start the Zith together with the Mepron or do they have to start one at a time as well?

I would like to go off the Ceftin temporarily but am afraid I won't be able to go back on it again due to resistance... any thoughts?

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, zithromax doesn't do much. I guess we take it so the mepron doesn't become resistant.

My doctor started me out with zithromax/tindamax, and then after a month, added in mepron. So you might do the same. You may not have to wait a month, but just be sure you're handling it all well.

I am also taking minocycline and IV clindamycin every three weeks. I mention this because some are on lyme and babesia treatment symultaneously, so you may be able to stay on Ceftin. Is there any llmd you can consult with?

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Unfortunately, there isn't a LLMD within 800 miles of where I live.. I was doing phone consults with a retired LLMD but that has since ended. Thanks for letting me know your regimen, it would be similar to mine.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of comments and I recommend you read Dr. B's Advanced Topic in Lyme Disease.

The mepron and zith is for babesia. The mepron breaks the coating around the babesia parasite and the zith kills it.

Zith orally for lyme is not the best drug of choice due to it being less effective due to being neutralized in cells due to PH levels.

Now with adding zith to other drugs you have to be careful with the liver. You have to be consistent in helping the liver or else you run into problems.

If you don't get rid of the babesia first the odds of getting rid of the Lyme seem to be low from all that I've read.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Tim: Thank you for the advice about the liver. I have been taking milk thistle and drinking lots of lemon water. Do you know of other supports that are good for the liver?

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement