LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PICC or Port

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PICC or Port
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm going to give IV's a shot. My doc wants me to get a port. The biggest problem/fear I am having is that I have to have this procedure in the morning (fasting, etc). And every day, EVERY day, I am wretchedly sick for the first 4 hours I am awake. Sometimes it gets a bit better.

Honestly, I wake up every day since the idea of the port came up (just got some approval for insurance coverage today...they'll cover one month, as seems to be the norm)...anyway, every day, I think "if I feel like THIS, no way am I going to make it through a procedure". I can barely stand up or function at all.

I don't want to sound like a baby about it. Before lyme, even though I was very healthy, I'd had a couple of surgeries, and drove myself, wasn't worried, etc. But this is scaring me because of how sick/fragile I feel.

I'm wondering if a PICC might be easier, or if I could get it in an afternoon. Also, I think my doc is leaning towards a port because he's thinking 6+ months of Abx. And..PICCs wear out in 4 months or so? Not sure, I get different opinions.

Any advice?

-M

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a picc for 8 months and only had it pulled because I had a gall bladder attack and they decided to stop IV. When my nurse pulled the line she said it could have stayed in much longer. It was a great line.
I had IV again a year later and that line was in for 5 months. Only had it pulled cause the IV was not helping.

If you decide on Picc make sure they do it in a hospital using x-ray and ultrasound. I had a doctor do mine in a actual operating room. I was laying down the entire time.

I think I had one done in the morning and the other early afternoon.
Doctor didn't want me to have a port because he said Picc's were much easier. I never had any problems at all with either one of mine.

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI M.

I remember feeling the same way going into my surgery. The pre-op was the day before, I was in a complete daze the entire time and didn't know what I was doing. Luckily, I had someone with me that could figure out what was going on.

All I know is that I got through it and it worked out. I felt the same way, that my body would not be able to handle the surgery. It was no problem at all.

In some ways I rushed into the decision because I didn't want my doc to change his mind about the port.

Looking back I may have opted for the PICC and if it didn't work then I would have gotten the port. It seems less permanent and if there is a problem it is fairly easy to remove a PICC.

There are benefits to both.

Good Luck

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haley, I tried to PM you, but your box is full...
Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be available now.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daugher had a PICC. She had it in for 4 months with no problems at all. The visiting nurse said she has never seen a problem with a PICC as I was nervous after reading about people having problems.

She had it done in the hospital with a valium before she went in..which actually did nothing to relax her..but anyway..,.it was not a problem. She said she would do it again if she had to and she was sooo nervous in the beginning.

I do not see why you cant somehow request it be done in the afternoon due to your situation. My daughter felt better and better on the IV Rocephine but then relapsed as the LLMD did not put her on any maintenace abx or herbs [Frown]

She is doing much better again now...and thats with just doing oral.

Good luck,

Deb G

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had a PICC line, but I have had a Groshong line (a type of central line) in for over 3 years. It's placed in the jugular vein at about where your collar bone is, and then tunneled under the skin and comes out about mid chest.

The procedure was not difficult at all, I was awake but sedated, done in the hospital, and it was a fairly quick procedure.

It is VERY easy to take care of, I don't have to worry about any dressings, I just clean the site with alcohol every day and flush the line with saline after every IV med dose. There is no need for any home health or anything.

In all this time I have never had a clot or infection. I would highly recommend it for long term use.

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would opt for a PICC before a Port simply because it is less intrusive. With the Port ther eis an incision made to put it in, and to take it out. But, I hear that you can get it wet!

I have had a PICC line for 3 months with no problems, except I keep getting it wet going to the beach and pool. (It is hot here!!)

But, I get my husband to change the dressing when it gets wet, and I have never had any problems.

Good luck!!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buzzsflybox
Member # 26808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buzzsflybox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was Like kim812. But, I was taking Actigall while doing the picc rocephen so I had no Galbladder issues. Just remember with a picc you will have to have a nurse (Home Health) change the dressing weekly. I'm not familiar with a port.

--------------------
5 yr. Vet. of the Lyme war. Helping and sharing are now my only objectives.I have nothing to sell & I no longer interfear with things I cannot control. But, I have learned many good things from my affliction & am a better person for it.

Posts: 51 | From Northeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement