LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » quest v/s lab corps for western blot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: quest v/s lab corps for western blot
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YankeeMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to get my children tested for Lyme. My insurance will cover testing using Quest or Lab Corps but not Igenex. I have just gotten myself tested with Igenex and am loathe to pay that much two more times and so would like to run tests with Quest or Lab Corps since it will be a fraction of the cost. If those are neg I would then get them tested again wit Igenex. I hate doing two sticks but treating us is gonna be expensive and I need to save money where I can.

FWIW I tested positive on band 41 with Quest.

I know Quest doesn't have a good reputation but was wondering if Lab Corps has a better or worse reputation. I know (now) to request that all bands be reported.

Thanks,
Patty

Posts: 34 | From St. Louis | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Labcorp
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sutherngrl. With Labcorp I had 3 positive bands and with Quest I had none.
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YankeeMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks! Does Labcorp automatically report all bands or does that need to be requested like with Quest?
Posts: 34 | From St. Louis | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Stony Brook lab in NY. I had quite a few bands from them....5 showed up on my IgM. I am thinking insurance will cover Stony Brook.

Also, the doctor has to request that the non-CDC criteria bands be reported as well (like 58 and 66) instead of just 23, 39, 41.

If you haven't done antibiotics to bring out the Lyme before the testing, I would do so this time. And don't stress too much about going off the antibiotics for weeks before the test....in my experience, being on antibiotics while testing does not deter a positive result.

This is the lab's website....I'm sure your doctor could call them with any questions: http://www.path.sunysb.edu/labsvs/ticklab.htm

Have your children take antibiotics before the testing, for 2 weeks if possible.

I prefer Quest to Labcorp, if given a choice. If Quest or Stony Brook doesn't work out (SB is much better...so go with that if you can), you may have to just go with Igenex.

But on those "not as great" tests, I believe taking the antibiotic beforehand gives you a greater chance of seeing something in the testing.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

My children haven't ever taken abx and both battle yeast. I wouldn't in good concience give them 2 weeks of abx for a blood test w/o some better guidance. abx through my bm gave the older one bleeding sores.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you aren't willing to give them antibiotics, what's the point of even testing? Are you going to treat them with herbals if they are positive?

Antibiotics will make the testing more accurate. I won't speculate as to how much more accurate, but it is a significant difference for many. It's up to you I guess.

I would provoke it with some kind of anti-spirochete herb then....otherwise, I wouldn't really trust the test results if they are negative.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

I want a LLMD on board before giving abx to help us figure out how to do it safely with their history of yeast. I can't get them in till Nov but want to test now to see what we can see. I do plan to treat herbally to start in hopes that it will work before destroying their guts with abx. We have been working hard to get good gut flora established for a long time in both of them and I hate to throw that away without good reason. I'm not dead set against abx, I just need to weigh my options carefully and look before I leap. I tested positive on band 41 both types through Quest. I'm hopefull that if they have Lyme we'll get at least that for them but I realize this isn't a simple disease to dx or treat. (I've only recently discovered that I have it after several months of symptoms and testing.) It will explain a whole lot in my children but since Lyme is the great immitator it isn't the only explaination for their symptoms.
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

I should add that I am very new to all of this and learning as I go. You have given me a lot to think on and I am thankful for that.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Sorry if I seemed irritable with you...just having one of those days. It's not you...I am just grumpy.

Hmmm....I guess if you want to just do Stony Brook or Quest now, that would be fine, because you wouldn't be wasting any money.

But if you are actually going to be spending money on testing and using Igenex, I would wait until your children's LLMD tells you what tests to order, and how to "provoke" the Lyme out for the testing.

I just don't want you to waste any money.

What LLMD are you taking them to? Hopefully it is someone that is knowledgable about herbals too, if that is a route you are interested in going.

Sorry you guys have been battling yeast.

Good luck!

kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told Lab Corp is the way to go. I tested+ with them all along. (Except very early).

I was told quest is read by a machine and Lab Corp is read by a person and is more accurate.

Good luck.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got one positive band with LabCorp, but the miraculous Igenex found tons of them. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement