LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FLAGYL - LYME PATIENTS SHOULD BE TAKING IT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FLAGYL - LYME PATIENTS SHOULD BE TAKING IT
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken flagyl in the past but never consistently.

I can tell you that without reservation flagyl is probably one of the best drugs in the fight against Lyme disease.

Most recently I was experiencing a huge downturn- crazy high blood pressure, unrelenting pain in neck and joints, neurological activity I hadn't had in sometime, and much more.

I was at the point of believing I need iv antibiotics or I'm done.

Went on flagyl in conjunction with standard abx and have done a complete turn-around - I'm still picking up the pieces as they say but doing much, much better.

It brings out the symptoms and one might think it is only making things worse but it's really getting rid of borrelia.

I know someone that has taken it for about a year and has hasn't felt better in years.

it needs to be taken with something else like ceftin, doxy , or zithromax etc but it can make a big difference.

[Smile]

Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree; adding a cyst buster helped me out a lot, too. Makes me herx like a banchi, but worth it. I was PO'd that a supposed LLLMD did not have me on it as part of combo therapy right when I was Dx'd, as I think it would have made a big difference.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Josh - Do you mind if I ask your dosage and how long you have been on it or plan to be on it?
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl is a good drug. But what works for one Ld patient will not work for another. Flagyl can cause damage to nerves, so if nerve pain increases as it did for me, stop and talk to your LLMd.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pulse flagyl for this very reason (nerve damage, etc.) I am told by two LLMD's that the latest research shows that a 72 hour pulse is effective in getting the cysts. Any more an you can risk peripheral neuropathy.

One LLMD does 500 mg / day, 3 days weekly.

The other LLMD does 1000 mg/day, 3 days every 2 weeks.

Do you guys pulse or not?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF said it's absolutely necessary too.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buzzsflybox
Member # 26808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buzzsflybox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD wouldn't put me on it because of the previously posted reason/side effects. BUT he knew did need a "Cystbuster" he prescribed Tindamax. I saw a great response to this "Cystbuster" with no side effects. Of course you all know the name of the game: "Everyone reacts differently".
Buzz

--------------------
5 yr. Vet. of the Lyme war. Helping and sharing are now my only objectives.I have nothing to sell & I no longer interfear with things I cannot control. But, I have learned many good things from my affliction & am a better person for it.

Posts: 51 | From Northeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pulsing flagyl 250 3x/day on 4/7 days and Artemisinin the other 3/7 days, Also every day I am taking amox/probenicid 2500mg/500 2x/day, clarith 500 2x/day, bactrim ds 1 tab 2x/day. Getting ready to start levaquin soon, have medication on hand but need to get up the courage to go there--have had psych problems on this class of medication in the past.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bcb1200:
I pulse flagyl for this very reason (nerve damage, etc.) I am told by two LLMD's that the latest research shows that a 72 hour pulse is effective in getting the cysts. Any more an you can risk peripheral neuropathy.

One LLMD does 500 mg / day, 3 days weekly.

The other LLMD does 1000 mg/day, 3 days every 2 weeks.

Do you guys pulse or not?

You say 3 days weekly...is that 3 consecutive days, every other day? Just trying to get some ideas here. I hate taking daily meds if it is not necessary.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Flagyl is absolutely essential to getting better. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 consecutive days for me, would be suprised if others are not also taking on consecutive days
be it 3 or 4 days.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on doxy 200 mg and now my LLMD wants me to add 1,500 mg flagyl a day every day.
This sounds quite high in comparison to the other posts.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pulsing flagyl one week a month, 500mg 3 times a day.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl caused me global transient amnesia--meaning I had no idea what I was doing or who I was or where I was for several hours.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since taking flagyl i have brainfog as a symptom (or side effect). cant say it helped me.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam Weintraub does not mention taking Flagyl in her last desperate attempt to get well. She took Ceftin (following what Dr B did to get himself well) until all symptoms abated for a few months, then went off until she crashed all the way to the bottom again, then went on until symptoms abated, went off and crashed, then on again. The third time all symptoms resolved completely and permanently.
This is allegedly what Dr B did for himself as well.
Maybe it takes longer without Flagyl? But, if it gets the job done, it seems a better plan as Flagyl is so toxic to the nervous system.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, Flagyl is a much needed rx.

I also noticed a HUGE difference when I switched from the generic (metronidazole) to non-generic (flagyl)

...i herxed like crazy on the generic and even more so on the non-generic.

(I also pulse... i take it every 3rd week)

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take 1000 mg daily
Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

brain fog on flagyl got much worse initially then much more improved than ever before.
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please be careful with flagyl and tinidazol. i still havent got rid of the neuro symptoms they caused:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/97263?

Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you take Flagyl on the same days as other ABX (like doxy, or whatever?)

I haven't done Flagyl since early 2007 and i pulsed it for a week every four weeks but only took Flagyl during that week.

Another question - does Flagyl kill other forms besided cyst? Does it cause the cyst to go back to spirochette form or does it "kill" the germ?

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mojo:

I haven't done Flagyl since early 2007 and i pulsed it for a week every four weeks but only took Flagyl during that week.

Another question - does Flagyl kill other forms besided cyst? Does it cause the cyst to go back to spirochette form or does it "kill" the germ?

Yes.

It kills the cyst form.

Tindamax is basically the same as flagyl, without as many side effects. I found that to be true for me.

I believe at least one of those is NEEDED in order to get well. Just watch out for side effects, some of which can cause permanent damage.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info! I just came back from a consult with the best pedicatric LLMD...the great DR J in CT. I love that man. I asked him everything.

Here is what he said in regards to flagyl/tindamax. He pulses it 2 consecutive days every week for the kids. It only kills cyst and the released spirochette from the cyst can convert back into cyst form again. He uses either flagyl or tindamax but currently is preferring tindamax over flagyl. He believes it not only kills cyst but cell wall deficient forms as well.

My daughter is 48lbs and she takes 250mg tindamax 2Xday 2 days week every week. Ominicef and zith daily.

The GOOD news...when asked if chronic lyme is curable...he said yes he believes it is! In his pediatric practice the average patient receives 1-3 years ABX, has done as much as 12 years. 98% are able to remain off ABX. He says about 1-2% relapse repeatedly when coming off ABX. That is better than what I thought.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Can someone answer this? when you pulse flagyl, do you stop your other meds on those days, or take them all together?

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the inspiring information from Dr. J

My LLMD has me on flagyl 750 mg/day every day since April. I haven't felt much of anything! I have involuntary movements/contractions and these are about the same since I started; I have no symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, yet I wonder if every day for several months is advisable? I have had lyme for over 20 years, had treatment in 2005, relapsed 2009, in treatment again.
I don't seem to herx much (never did) but certainly have this bug running around my body.

I want to get rid of this thing. Is pulsing with a chronic, late stage case like mine enough? Anybody else? Overall it seems like it works....but how much does the trick?

Thank you

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Flagyl, and to answer the question about taking it on the same day as other Antibiotics.

Just an FYI about how I'm doing it. On the days I begin to take Flagyl, I don't take Doxy. I'm slowly building to 3 Flagyls per day for 3 days per week, but ever so slowly. 1/1/1
2/1/1, 2/2/1, 2/2/2, 3/2/2, 3/3/2, then to 3/3/3.

That's just how I've been directed to do it. I hope it works as my arm pain is really bothering me.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BackinStOlaf:

Can someone answer this? when you pulse flagyl, do you stop your other meds on those days, or take them all together?

I pulse my flagyl with my daily meds. SO for me it is Baxin / Amatadine EVERY DAY and then I add 1000mg of Flagyl on top of that on the days I pulse.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
we'll win
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for we'll win     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read all of the posts (a little lazy today)....but, I'll throw my two cents in the ring.

I agree that Flagyl is extremely important. Or perhaps a cyst buster like Tindamax, which I have not been prescribed.

Flaygyl does cause a bix HX and makes me feel bad. But it has started eliminating some new pains I have gotten, such as in the ankle.

By the way, I am on bicillin shots, up to 5 per week.

I have had lyme for many years now. I think flagyl, or a cyst buster is crucial because the longer we are on antibxs -WHICH ARE ESSENTIAL- I do believe some resistance can occur.

Hope everyone is doing well, and trying to smile.

We'll Win.....eventually

Posts: 107 | From maryland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the patient can afford it, I suggest Tindamax over Flagyl - it does much the same thing with many, many fewer side effects for many people.

Quite a few people that I've spoken with have made great progress on one of my most popular protocols of Tindamax (500mg, BID), Minocycline (50mg, BID), Omnicef (300mg, BID). Its a fairly heavy load for many, but it "hits" Lyme itself in its various forms and has the benefit of a little overlap against some other "less known" coinfections, though I still suggest direct protocols against them if they can be confirmed (mycoplasma, CPN etc..), and separate protocols for Babesia and Bartonella, and other pathogens (viral, fungal etc.)

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Flagyl with Zith "everyday". Did not pulse them.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take my flagyl on the same days as my other ABX...Mondays are my hardest....oral flagyl 1500mg, zith IV 500mg, Rocephin iv. I hope my liver makes it
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement