LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella from Cleaning Cat Litter Box???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella from Cleaning Cat Litter Box???
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the best way to protect ourselves while cleaning cat litter box out? What type of mask blocks this bacteria? And is there an herb we can give cats to make them no longer carriers of Bartonella?

thanks [Smile]
love my kitties but tierd of getting sick from cleaning out litter box [Frown]

Daniella

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billclo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billclo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an N100 mask to be on the safe side, since my immune system is so weak from 6 years of Lyme's/Bartonella.

Try here: http://www.amazon.com/Moldex-N100-Respirator-Handystrap-2730N/dp/B000F7KO1S

Wash your hands after cleaning to be sure.

There are other issues besides Bartonella and litter boxes, (toxoplasmosis), which is why pregnant women are advised to either not clean them or use a mask and wash hands...

Posts: 131 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks I just ordered the mask [Smile]

what do you think of the Cat Genie?

http://www.catgenie.com/?gclid=CNftzJ3K_6ICFRNO5QodajRWew

anyone have this?

thanks [Smile]

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may do this already, but I use disposable gloves when I change my cats' boxes.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get bartonella from a cat's box?

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotus26
Member # 26556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotus26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got my cats 2 years ago. i wonder if i had lyme and it made my immune system weak enough to catch bartonella. how is it transmitted from cat to human?
Posts: 62 | From Perth Amboy NJ | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you guys are saying Bart is airborne? Transmissible by air? What?

"The primary mode of transmission of B. henselae to humans is through a cutaneous trauma caused mainly by the scratch of a cat."

And tick bites.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billclo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billclo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well considering Bartonella is a poorly understood disease, and that there are more than one variant that can infect humans, who knows?

I asked my doc if it's possible to transmit Bartonella, he said we don't know. Given that there's some evidence it's possible with Lyme in mice, who knows?

My doc says he co-authored a paper which has been accepted for publication showing 7 human patients who have Bartonella Kholerae (sp?), a variant previously only known to be present in cats. It's a rapidly growing field of knowledge.

Given that my immune system is weak from Lyme/Bartonella, it's a no-brainer to try and avoid any possible pathogens. Toxoplasmosis in an immune compromised person is no joke, so I try to avoid it by wearing a mask when changing the litter box and wash my hands.

Posts: 131 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, this is weird. I started getting really sick 1.5 years ago after watching my neighbor's cats, including scooping the litter. Great....
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To anyone reading this that has a new cat....

...cats can be trained to go potty outside, like dogs. Just don't provide them with a litter box, and start out maybe feeding them outside. They will get the message and pee and poo outside too. I'm guessing even an older cat would be able to figure this out if you suddenly stopped providing the box, and fed them outside.

My family has always used that system with our cats. We don't feed them in the house, so they are used to standing by the door when they want to go out.

We even did this in northern Indiana, when it was 0 degrees out. The cat would run out, eat from her bowl, go potty in the snow, then stand by the door to come back in. When there was a blizzard or something, we'd kinda have to throw her out, but it was fine...she'd eat quickly, do her business, then scratch at the door to come back in. As my dad says, "they are wearing a fur coat!"

The only thing you'd need to worry about then is you don't want to be sunbathing or laying in the grass in the areas the cat uses. Or especially gardening veggies there, because germs can get on the food.

You don't need to watch them or put them on a leash....at least in all the places we lived. You just let them out....they'll come back when they are ready to come back inside! Our cats have learned to come (from the outdoors, in) when we call them too....they associate hearing our "call" with the door being open.

I think they actually have a better life this way...they like to go exploring, and always have that twinkle in their eye. It's kind of like a child...sometimes, you gotta kick 'em out of the house for their own good! [Smile]

But if you lived in a tick infested area, it would make me re-think that, because you don't want them bringing ticks in. The current kitty is getting whatever that med is that supposedly keeps ticks off. We'll see how it works.

And if you let them out like that, you gotta get them fixed if they aren't already! You'd be surprised the adventures they have when you just think they're minding their kitty business.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my cat tested...he's negative, but the cats before him were never tested. One died of FIP, a fatal corona virus, so I often worry I caught that from him. He developed mange (from demodex mites) as his first symptom and lost fur around his lower jaw mostly, where 99% of my own symptoms are...my lower jaw. Wonder what they (demodex mites) carry?
Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

yes LeeLee(cute name [Smile] I do too unless I've run out..

lotus2-sickpuppy-hcconn22- My question too!

"You can get bartonella from a cat's box?"

I've been told by MD that Bart is in cats urine, feces, and saliva. Airborne while cleaning cat box, in saliva while cat cleans themselves.

I know we love our pets so much. I could never part with mine...

I was wondering if anyone has given their animals an herb or abx to clear them of any bacteria they may be carrying that could be transmitted?

Anyone done this? I was thinking about giving mine doxy according to their weight so they will no longer be carriers. Any ideas about this?

Are there herbs to give? Can you give cats colloidal silver???

--------------------

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you are not thinking about toxoplasmosis?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

what are the sx's of toxo wildcondor?

I know I developed bart after getting new kitties and md said it could be from emptying their litter box. every time I was empying I got swollen neck glands and severe headache behind eyes. I thought it couldn't be from litter box cleaning but asked my md and he said if your immune system is low enough you can get bart from emptying litter box...

what are the sx's of toxo? that is a parasite? same sx's???

edited for sp.

--------------------

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it is airborne but I know that even if you itch your eye and have it on your hands it's likely that you will be infected.

Some people think that you need to be scratched or bitten but that is not the case.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

I know we love our pets so much. I could never part with mine...

I was wondering if anyone has given their animals an herb or abx to clear them of any bacteria they may be carrying that could be transmitted?

Anyone done this? I was thinking about giving mine doxy according to their weight so they will no longer be carriers. Any ideas about this?

Are there herbs to give? Can you give cats colloidal silver???

--------------------

lotus26
Member # 26556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotus26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
feeding/letting your cats outside gets rid of the feces problem but opens them up to a host of buggers. fleas ticks galore.

cat using the toilet sounds best

Posts: 62 | From Perth Amboy NJ | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

lotus- check this out pricey but pretty sterile!

http://www.catgenie.com/?gclid=CNftzJ3K_6ICFRNO5QodajRWew

--------------------

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: every time I was empying I got swollen neck glands and severe headache behind eyes

---

Maybe you are allergic to the cat litter...? May of them are very dusty & have toxic (to me, anyway) fragrances added.

I think it's best to keep cats in the house. If they don't have bart or other diseases - they can get them from going outside. They are more prone towards getting bitten by other animals who may be sick with a variety of things, getting hit by a car or picking up ticks & fleas.

You can wear disposable rubber gloves to clean the litter box & use a dust mask. I don't know about getting bart from cat litter... I've never heard of it. It is called cat "scratch" fever.

I'd watch out for fleas & make sure to use some flea killer if you spot any. I believe you can get it from fleas. There are some good flea killing products like Program - I think it's called. It works very well if you see any fleas.

Don't get the ones in the regular pet store. They don't work & they may be hazardous to your pet! I found that only Program works. You can get it on-line from 1800petmeds or some other place like that.

I've only heard that toxoplasmosis can be obtained from cat litter. They say a huge part of the population already has it.

FYI -

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/toxoplasmosis.html

Toxoplasmosis is a disease caused by the parasite Toxoplasma gondii. More than 60 million people in the U.S. have the parasite.

Most of them don't get sick. But the parasite causes serious problems for some people. These include people with weak immune systems and babies whose mothers become infected for the first time during pregnancy. Problems can include damage to the brain, eyes and other organs.

You can get toxoplasmosis from

Waste from an infected cat
Eating contaminated meat that is raw or not well cooked
Using utensils or cutting boards after they've had contact with raw meat
Drinking infected water
Receiving an infected organ transplant or blood transfusion

Most people with toxoplasmosis don't need treatment. There are drugs to treat it for pregnant women and people with weak immune systems.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniella,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

thanks- Wildcondor and Sparkle-

I think though that if you have indoor cats they cannot give you toxo right? Only cats that have come in contact with toxo can give it to you,.. and then only for a few weeks while they are shedding the cysts..right?

my cats are strictly indoor and I have had them 1 year [Smile]

Does anyone have any carification on this?

thanks [Smile]

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For various reasons, be sure train all pets to NOT kiss any people the mouth - and to not lick drips from a water faucet that had a slow drip enticing them. I've seen more than one cat do that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is toxo. Bartonella you can get from cat scratches, as the cats feces may touch their claws and then they scratch and get it on you.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement