LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hair loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair loss
Raft
Member # 27212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on/off Abx for over a year. My symptoms are not severe, but the fatigue and headaches are annoying still, not to mention the intermittent joint pain.

Presently I'm on Buhner's herb protocal with a company called Darcy Naturals. I had hair loss about two months ago which I attributed to the stress of five abx for eight months and a gluten/dairy elimination diet for the same time. Then the hair loss subsided.

Now, about 1 1/2 months after starting the herbs and no abx, I am losing hair again. At this rate, I will be bald....this is totally stressing me out as I'm a woman.

Any advice? Knowledge as to why I'm losing hair?

Posts: 3 | From Hopkinton, MA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you are experiencing this.

Lyme can cause it so can thyroid. Lyme attacks thyroid, bladder, heart and on and on.

Print out green booklet from http://lymepa.org

Full of info regarding tick diseases.

Suggest you get to a LLMD and not just treat yourself...you might really become bald which will be miner compared to what else it can do to ya.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to have beautiful thick hair, now it's thinning and fast.

i've been on heavy abx recently due to diverticulitis and then alot of probiotics.

it seems to have slowed but i'm so discouraged.

i hope it grows back.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hair loss and fatigue have been my #1 complaints!

I've tried everything. I lose hair whether I am on or off abx. I got on thyroid meds...I still lose hair.

I've tried vitamens, shampoos, massaging the scalp, changing my diet...NOTHING works!

I don't know anymore if it is the lyme or just aging. I am 45 yrs old but have been losing a LOT of hair for at least 5 years. I have many female friends in their 40s & 50s and most of them also complain of hair loss.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is just getting older? I know the abx doesn't help, nor having lyme. But I have no idea what to do about it.

If someone has had success stopping their hair loss I would love to hear how!

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost a lot of hair, too...almost male pattern baldness with thinning greatest at the top of my head in the 'dent' and along my temples. My advice is to take daily hot baths and detoxify by sweating. Look for regrowth in winter...that's when I would start seeing freshly sprouted hairs.

You might try taking hemp seed oil and hemp seed protein powder, too (I used Living Harvest protein powder and Nutiva oil). I can't say it's helped my hair regrow faster, but the texture of my hair is MUCH better than it was when I first became ill. Hemp contains magnesium and the perfect omega fatty acids ratio. It contains all of the essential fatty acids, too...

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runningshoe
Member # 24384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runningshoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair is falling out too - only started doing so during treatment. I think it must be the antibiotics. Bummer.
Posts: 37 | From ma | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofthree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "other" daughter is 20. She has been experiencing hair loss too. She just tested positive and isn't on any meds yet. We are waiting to see if the medicine will help. Aug. 4th can't come soon enough.
Posts: 303 | From green bay, wi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suz9601   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair is about 40-50% as thick as it once was. I think it related to the PCOS issues I have. Male hormones are elevated and female (estrogen) low. It is very scary to see handfuls fall out every day. This has been going on for a year for me since I lost a lot of weight.
Posts: 146 | From Midwest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Biotin (the supp. touted for hair, scalp and nails), and stopped Cymbalta at the same time. My hair is TOTALLY coming back, if I had to guess I would say the Biotin really, really helped.

I know the feeling of the hair loss. But I am here to tell you, I now have these one inch "baby bangs" at my hair line, and regrowth all over. Don't give up on trying stuff. Also, antifungals (Nystatin, or Diflucan) will cause hair loss. If you are taking one of those see if you can cut the dosage. Hope this helps, even just one person.

Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where do you get your biotin? any particular brand?

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suz9601   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how many miligrams biotin are you taking? That's great that it is coming back..gives me hope.
Posts: 146 | From Midwest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair came back. I was losing hair even prior to treatment.

I take a B Complex which includes biotin, but it started coming back before I added that supp. Mine started coming back when I was on heavy abx, so for me it wasn't abx making it fall out. I think the disease itself can do that.

I do take thyroid, so that could have played a role.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raft
Member # 27212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the support everyone. I was on biotin for awhile, and you know what? My hair loss actually stopped, so I stopped the biotin. Perhaps since I'm also avoiding gluten, I'm not getting enough in my diet. I will start it up again, now that I'm losing hair.

Good to know that it's a common lyme problem (not that it's good). I'll also get my hormones and thyroid checked. thx.

Posts: 3 | From Hopkinton, MA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie1234
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Biotin can be purchased at health food stores, or probably vitamin stores. The brand I am using is: "Country Life" High potency Biotin. It is 5 mg. 60 caps for sale price of $8.99. Such a deal! Oh and I, too, am taking a high quality B complex.
Posts: 113 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Raft,
I have always shed a lot of hair, and so has my mother. Hers began thinning once she began menopause. Being placed on HRT that included testosterone helped fill it back in. We found out both of us have Estrogen Dominance, which causes hair to shed. My Thyroid is also hyperactive, which may be the major contributor to my scenario.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YankeeMom
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YankeeMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am hypothyroid but increasing my meds did nothing for my hair loss. I'll look into biotin. Egg yolks have a lot of biotin. Both of my daughters are sensitive to egg so I don't cook with it much. I'll try to get more.
Posts: 34 | From St. Louis | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i just went to walmart and bought a vitamin called "hair, skin and nails". it has biotin and other supplements. you take 3 a day.

hope it works.

it was only about 7 bucks. made by nature's sunshine i think.

[ 07-25-2010, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement