LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » vision problems!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vision problems!
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've done a search here about vision problems and it seems like it's a fairly common problem. symptoms that i've had that i found here are:

- what i call white-outs, when my vision gets white/grey & fuzzy.

- bad night vision.

- lightning like flashes when trying to sleep.

- redness, dry, itchy eyes

- floaters

- sensitivity to light

there are a few others that i have that i couldn't find though and wanted to see if anyone has these:

- eyes locking up, can't move them for a short period of time.

- blue psychedelic type patterns when i close my eyes when trying to sleep.

- sensitivity to air

- unable to follow words on a page (not sure if this is vision or cognitive)

will these symptoms go away on their own with treatment i see a doctor about them? if i have to see a doctor, what kind (optometrist, ophthalmologist, etc.)?

i forgot (go figure) to mention this to my LLMD visit in June (although the blue vision thing is new) and my next appt is in Sept. i have lyme and babesia.

thanks for the help!

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had every symptom on that list at one point; with the exception of eyes locking up. What you call white-outs, I think I call static vision. The visual field becomes snowy like a bad television station. My worst eye symptom is not on your list, it is trails. I could watch a television program and turn my eyes to the left and the picture would float with it, literally posting on the wall.

Anyway, all has improved since the start of treatment. It's very slow to improve, but it has nonetheless. My LLMD attributes it to Babesia, but I'm not 100$ sure.

Regardless, I did see some improvement when I started Olive Leaf Extract. I took roughly 40-80 drops in a glass of water 2 times a day.

Still have issues today, but doing much better than 8 months with my vision.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What kind and how much magnesium are you taking? Sounds low.

Of course, have your eye doctor take a look (especially for what you call white-outs even though that could be neurological or eye muscle fatigue), however 95% of the things you listed were resolved for me when my magnesium levels were improved.

It also sounds like some inner ear involvement and neuro-overload with vision stuff as you close your eyes. Ginger can help with the inner ear stuff and magnesium will calm down the over excited nerve impulses. That's the likely cause of "the lightning like flashes when trying to sleep" - also getting light out of your eyes earlier in the night, avoiding TV and computer for an hour before bed is good, and getting to bed early.

Also good: Fish oil and lots of antioxidants, too. Eat nearly all the brilliant colored foods you can find.

=========================

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

==========================

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition

(thanks to Carol in PA for this link)

=======================

For further reference, you might find this book - and some of the links below - of interest.

This book holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

==================

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

====================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Magnesium - 78917 abstracts

Hypomagnesemia - 1621 abstracts

Magnesium+deficiency, vision - 11 abstracts

Magnesium+deficiency, eyes - 42 abstracts

=====================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1715&zTYPE=2

* Magnesium: The Key to Health and Life

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art588&zTYPE=2

* Magnesium: The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part I

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1634&zTYPE=2

* Magnesium: The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part II
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For your bookshelf:
----------------

http://tinyurl.com/dc9u8c (Through Amazon)

The Eye Care Revolution: Prevent and Reverse Common Vision Problems - by Robert Abel, Jr. M.D.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book.

==========================

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesCategory.aspx?k=Vision_Sight

32 articles on Vision and Sight

One of those:

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1068&zTYPE=2

Vision: Natural Ways to Maintain Eye Health - By Jim English

Excerpt:

. . . A number of nutrients have been extensively studied for their ability to treat a wide variety of vision-related conditions by preventing the damage caused by free radical activity and by enhancing the delivery of blood and oxygen to the retina to help repair tissues. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buhner recommends Stephania Root for ocular Lyme issues.

I'm giving it a try (just placed the order)

I will update after a month or so.

I have most of those eye issues as well as blurred vision.

Buhner says Lyme and Coinfections can create a mild glaucoma. Inflammation, etc etc

I think it's babs as well.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJS2LTsQde4

YOGA FOR YOUR EYES

It's nice to see what it's like on You Tube and then purchase for your daily use with your DVD player. You Tube denies him of his rightful due for all his research and work.

The DVD is very affordable - about the cost of one supplement - it's just about $20. and you get a book with it, too. The DVD is also much easier on your eyes - from your TV at a distance. The computer screen is much harder on eyes.

======================

http://www.yogalifestyle.com/DVMSSTYogaForYourEyes.htm

YOGA FOR YOUR EYES - DVD

This 1 hour and 15 minute DVD plus 65 page illustrated study guide and eye chart was the surprise hit at the recent New York Yoga Expo and evidently with good reason.

Meir Schneider, PhD, LMT is well known for his pioneering work with self healing in general eyesight improvement in particular.
-

pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the white out thing too its like the center of your eyeball has almost like a cataract over it and you can see all around it but not in the center !

if you close your eyes for a few mins it usually goes away !

have another weid one I used to get the aura thing right before a migraine came on, now Im getting the aura but the migraine does not come with it any more so maybe the malerone is working !!

must be a babesia thing !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 3 months into treatment and my vision is almost 100% "normal" with the exception of floaters which I theorize take a while to clear.

Previously I was having "fishbowl" vision, difficulty looking at stripe patters, waves, worms in the periphery, light patches in my vision, night blindedness, and colors flashing when eyes closed. All gone now!

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
antibiotics tend to resolve it for awhile because of their anti-inflammatory abilities
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler, i'm taking 250 of magnesium. i haven't had a chance to read all your links yet because i gotta run but thank you for all of them. when i get back i'll check them all out.

i only get the eye symptoms when i'm laying down. if i'm sitting on the couch, put my head back and close my eyes it doesn't happen. could it still be inner ear? how much ginger?

i cut out the TV an hour like you suggested because of a news report i read about it stimulating the brain and keeping you awake. now if only i could get my husband to do the same... LOL

wolfed, you know something like that kinda happens to me too. if i'm reading something and close my eyes, i can still see the words. guess i never realized that until now!

bcb, oh that's so reassuring! i'm just over a month into treatment and was getting worried about this being permanent.

so supplements, exercise and abx work then. no need for a dr to check them out?

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think you should have your eye doctor take a look. That's always a good idea.

Much can be lost in translation or definition here and it's ALWAYS important to be in touch with your eye doctor for changes. Just don't be surprised if they say all is fine as the brain an inner ear have a lot to do with our eyes, too. But you don't want to risk it if there are eye concerns. We have no way of know that for sure.

Exercise should be non-aerobic, of course. All movement will help with circulation, but too much can also stress the vision if the nervous or adrenal systems get overwhelmed or need more support. B-12 should help nerve stability.

Yes, the fact that this happens more so when you lie down could indicate inner ear connections but it's probably the only time your body is relaxed enough to notice. Even in the living room, your body likely fights well enough to compensate.

Mostly, it sounds like an overwhelmed nervous systems and brain excitatory excess.
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this will work for you, but I'm able to stop my eye symptoms by drinking a little mangosteen juice everyday.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement