LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Naturopath-- does it really work?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Naturopath-- does it really work?
cityroam1
Member # 24787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cityroam1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen 2 LLMD's, and got no where fast. I got a referral for a LLND and went for a consultation today.

There were more questions that I should have asked but forgot, but from what we talked about he is the first Dr. that seems to make sense.

But the million dollar question, has anyone ever gotten cured from herbals etc alone? (In Ohio he can't prescribe meds.)

I don't trust any dr's at this point so part of me worries that he is just a snake oil salesman, trying to get me to buy a ton of suppliments etc.

I didn't even think to ask how much these "things" will cost to get me better.

He didnt try to push me into buying anything, I didnt feel pressured into coming back. He spent almost 40 mins with me no charge. But I am not sure I really understand what he is going to give me to kill the bacteria.. Are suppliments, diet, exercise, stress reduction and sleep enough to get rid of lyme? [confused]

Posts: 75 | From NE Ohio | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You said he is LL, so I assume ILADS-educated & aware.

You'll have to ask him. No one can say what he will use or suggest. We can speculate but no one can tell you precisely.

* You might call back and ask if he has some written materials that will help you better understand how he would approach this, such as a page or two handout.

* Ask him, especially, what anti-spirochetal methods he would have in mind, and if he would address liver and adrenal support.

* How will he address coinfections?

* What books would he recommend for you to better understand his treatment and self-care on your part? Who are his favorite authors in this field? Whose work has taught him the most?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cityroam1
Member # 24787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cityroam1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, he's is ILADS educated and recommended.

those are good questions however I would like input from anyone who has treated solely with herbals/supplements and have been cured.

Because I will not be taking any abx I am taking a huge leap in trusting this guy. Can you really be cured without abx..

Posts: 75 | From NE Ohio | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOOOOVVVEEE my LLND. Mine also does Meds as well as herbs. She belives it takes both. Not just one or the other. With herbs and Antiboitics, for me its working. I have NO MORE chest pain. (Knock on wood lol)

Just go with your gut. Do your research. I am only 20, but thats just my opionion [Smile]

--------------------
Stephanie, University Student.

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
indexLyme AB interp. EIA [A] POSITIVE
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]
Lyme IGM WB interp. [A] [PRESENT]

Posts: 145 | From Idaho | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cityroam1
Member # 24787

even though the abx aren't totally working for me, (and I am allergic to most of them) I have a fear of stopping altogether. And in Ohio the LLND can't write scripts.

He is the only dr. so far that talks about treating the entire body, which I like. But because I have such a distrust for the medical community I don't know what to think.

kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have made most progress with an LLND that can't prescribe.

I now also take Rocephin because it's an antibiotic I tolerate well.

I met people who got well on herbals with a strong positive Lyme test, so yes, it's possible. However, good treatment is a lot more than just antimicrobials.

I think revival of the terrain theory is happening (slowly perhaps). Current medicine is outdated in my opinion, and while it may be sufficient for most acute illnesses, I think it's obvious that it's not sufficient for chronic disease states.

From my research, I think getting well from Lyme with herbals is a lot easier than getting well from Lyme and co-infections with just herbals.

I wouldn't be able to take antibiotics if it weren't for the "alternative" protocols that I do. I don't herx all the way to the E.R. anymore since we figured out how to jump start my detox. In time, my body should take over detoxification on its own. For now, my pathways have to be pushed or I store drugs and toxins.

I am getting better, but I'm not well. If I were well, I'd probably be out enjoying life instead of responding to you (no offense to you).

I went backwards the first 8 months. Yes, I got sicker, and I was toxic.

Honestly, I get irritable and pessimistic on the days that I don't feel well since it can feel like I am slipping backwards (especially with a herx). But on the days that I feel better, I try to take a mental picture of the progress I have made and hold on to it for when I feel discouraged.

An ND was critical for me. I came to her office with no true hope. I didn't think she would make me any better since I already tried everything at the health food store. My hope was restored when I started seeing true progress. Progress that an MD and "powerful" antibiotics couldn't bring me. Instead, I was poisoned (long term) by an antibiotic many use here.

It's hard to have hope when you don't see progress; especially when you are falling the wrong direction.

Keep an open mind to alternative treatment, but at the same time follow your instincts. I used to think my brain was a faulty messenger, but I have realized it's been right all along.

Best of luck.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had very good results with my LLNDs - I have used several at various times. I've also benefited immensely from my open-minded, progressive LLMDs. Having both of these seems to be a good option such that they can work together to provide the best of both worlds.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might be interested in this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/97989#000002

Topic: "Healing Lyme" book
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
organictexan
Member # 27653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for organictexan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a naturopath and will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER go back to an M.D. again. EVER.

My insurance does not cover my naturopath but I use my Health Savings funds.

Also, not all naturopaths are created equal. I looked into others in my area and they didn't do a fraction of what my doctor does. He is awesome! All type of energy work...i.e. detox, light therpay, quantum physics. Just fabulous!

He has been my bridge back to the living world!!!

Posts: 15 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see both an LLND and a LLMD. The LLND gives me herbals and does various treatments. The LLMD prescribes abx and orders periodic tests. I like having input from both professionals and believe the varied treatments and meds are the best approach for me right now. I've been diagnosed with babesia, bartonella (x2), and Lyme, and am still working on babesia. When I get down to Lyme only, I will reevaluate my approach and consider doing all natural treatments, depending on how I'm doing at that time. I have run into people online who said they have conquered Lyme naturally.

I have not heard or read a lot about people getting rid of babesia and bartonella using herbs alone. Both the ND and the MD urged me to do abx to treat babesia.

Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13717

How to find an ILADS-educated Lyme Literate Naturopathic Doctor, Acupuncturist, Doctor of Oriental or Ayurvedic Medicine, Massage Therapist, Herbalist, Nutritionist, etc.

In some states, NDs (naturopathic doctors) are licensed to prescribe from a certain formulary of pharmaceuticals which includes many antibiotics and even IV antibiotics.

Many LL NDs use antibiotics as part of the treatment protocol along with supportive supplements - just as many LLMDs use supportive supplements as part of their treatment protocol, along with antibiotics.
-

dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personnaly know two LLNDs who saw LLMDs to treat their own Lyme & cos.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement