LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IMPORTANT message from Dr. Burrascano

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IMPORTANT message from Dr. Burrascano
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just on a CFS Forum and saw the following post by a CFS researcher that frequents the forum.

It looks like Dr. Burrascano feel that XMRV is indeed important to lyme disease.

Thought I should pass this along.
Pam :-)

quote:
Hi, all.

I just received the following message from Dr. Joe Burrascano. I checked with him, and he responded that this information can be made public.

I don't have any additional information about this, so won't be able to answer questions, but it sounds like a major development, and I think people here will want to know about it.

Best regards,

Rich

Hello all from Dr. B.

I just returned from the first official scientific symposium of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute on the topic of XMRV.

We formed a working group to be in constant touch and we plan to meet regularly because advances are coming so rapidly.

Big news that everyone should know and adopt is that we have proposed a name change for the virus.

This virus is a human, not mouse virus, and it is the first and so far only gamma-retrovirus known to infect people. Also, it is clearly not an "endogenous" retrovirus (one that is present in all genomes due to ancient infection).

Because of all of this, and because of the desire to begin on the right track, the new name of the virus is HGRV- Human Gamma Retro Virus. The illness caused by this infection is named HGRAD- Human Gamma Retrovirus Associated Disease.

We plan to announce this at the upcoming NIH retroviral conference this September.

Definitely stay tuned- the volume of new and important information about this virus and its disease associations is increasing rapidly and in my opinion should be a concern to every patient with chronic neuro-immune diseases, including those with chronic Lyme.

Joseph J. Burrascano Jr. M.D.
Water Mill, NY, USA

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks so much for this. A new name, eh? It took me a long time to get XMRX down. Now I have to learn to write HGRV / HGRAD.

Glad they are zeroing in on this.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Here's the XMRV article:
------------------
XMRV article From the Reno Gazette-Journal 8-16-10

Photo caption:

Doctors Vince Lombardi, left, and Judy Mikovitas stand talking in a laboratory inside the new Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease at the School of Medicine on the UNR campus on August 16, 2010. (Andy Barron/RGJ)

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201008162005/NEWS/100816069

(XMRV) Findings by Reno scientists confirmed by U.S. government

By LENITA POWERS * [email protected] * AUGUST 16, 2010

Two Reno scientists, who last year discovered a new infectious human retrovirus they linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, said Monday that their findings have been replicated and confirmed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Dr. Judy Mikovits, one of the lead researchers with the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease in Reno, said the FDA's review of their findings is scheduled to be published in September.

``There has been an issue over whether anybody could replicate our study, and it will not only confirm our findings but extend our findings, which is really exciting for us,'' she said.

Mikovits said they also have new, unpublished data concerning the retrovirus, XMRV, that could lead to treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

``We have immune system profiles and we can tell by the immune system how the XMRV is doing the damage,'' she said. ``So we could have a diagnostic test to follow clinical treatment and show that people's immune systems go back to normal. That's the latest data that's really amazing. That's what we're after.''

That data will be published by the end of the year, probably in a clinical immunology journal, she said.

Lombardi said clinical trials could begin soon at the Whittemore Peterson Institute, which is relocating from its tiny laboratory on the University of Nevada, Reno campus to the university's newly opened Center for Molecular Medicine.

``Actually, we already have been contacted by people who are sending us tests, perceiving that they may be asked to be part of the clinical trials,'' he said.

``I think once the (FDA) paper comes out and once the controversy is put to rest, the pharmaceutical companies will realize that this is some very low-hanging fruit for them to make the next transition,'' said Lombardi.

``There are so many drugs that have been developed for HIV, and it's a retrovirus. So there's probably a ton of HIV drugs that they can go back and re-screen that could be used.''

There also are three published drugs that work against XMRV, Mikovits said.

``We totally expect at least one clinical treatment trial before the end of the year,'' she said. ``That is our goal and that's what this new facility is for.''
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know...all these names for stuff flying around.

I am glad that they are researching this as well. I have been following with much interest as I was originally diagnosed with CFS then tested positive for Lyme.

It sounds like it could be a factor in some folks with chronic lyme.

As of yet my Lyme treatment has been unsuccessful and have often wondered if something else might be going on.

I will be interested to see how all of this XMRV/HGRV stuff turns out.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And to those who rife . . . frequencies ?

I wonder how would one figure out something new like this that has just been identified?
-

LLYME
Member # 18687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LLYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
And to those who rife . . . frequencies ?

I wonder how would one figure out something new like this that has just been identified?
-

I do not think you use rife on a retrovirus. This is one of three retroviruses, HIV is one of them. Retroviruses integrate themselves into and become part of the host DNA, they are not separate entities that can be killed off, you can only stop them from reproducing but you can never get rid of the virus, just like HIV.
Posts: 92 | From Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update!

I am holding off on getting tested until we "know more," but I am watching the developments closely!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been following this with great interest having received a dx of FM/CFS way before lyme. It wouldnt surprise me if a lot of those with lyme have something else going on as well.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See the Rife Thread for a specific protocol and research on how to rife for Retroviruses
Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Char Botem has some frequency for this already..My doctor just came back from that conference at Whittmore Peterson labs. It was invitation only and only a few LLMDs were there.
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gosh, what's the point of life? there are microbes attacking us and trying to kill us at every moment

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/XMRV-Global-Action/216740433250

First ever Human Gamma Retro Virus.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/meetings/presentations/cfsac_testimony_5_10_2010_anonymous_1.pdf

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never before seen, and only infects people, eh?
Figures. [shake]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Backinstalof,

It's been that way since the beginning of time.

The names are the only thing changing.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam,

Wondering if you were ever tested for Borna Virus? Pretty sure I read that it was discussed at one of the lyme conferences in the past year or two. Hubby has 4 positive tests for that virus but has not been tested in the last 4 or 5 years since there is currently no lab in the U.S. which tests for this virus. Only lab is in Germany I think.

Also, you might be interested in the new Immunosciences lyme test. They are reviving their old test -- the lab had stopped doing this testing for a couple of years. Met one of their scientists who sat in on hubby's appointment with his LLMD this past week. They will soon have new tests for the coinfections as well.

The old Immunoserology of Lyme test from that lab was very helpful for hubby. Naturally he did not test posiitve for Lyme or coinfections, but at least he showed some antibody reactions to several things.

And if you have never had it done, then I would highly suggest a blood smear from either F lab or Clongen. Hubby has both a BLO type organism and an unknown blood borne parasite which have shown up on multiple blood smears from those 2 labs. But obviously since these are unknown bacteria and parasites there are no antibody or PCR tests for the organisms.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Well I hope they figure out from whence it cometh.

And they don't make the same mistakes they made back in the days of AIDS.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canefan17:
Backinstalof,

It's been that way since the beginning of time.

The names are the only thing changing.

I believe we have greatly influenced the evolution and resistance of microorganisms.

Look at MRSA as an example.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

I prefer to say They not we...I don't do things they know are contaminated with infectious entities, but they make them....

Heck they may find MRSA is a direct result of a combination.

It took them 30 years to decide who discovered AIDS...

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Thanks Bea!

I have never heard of the Borna Virus. That is so strange that they don't test for it in the US and that your husband has it.

I have had two CDC positive lyme tests so I am not doubting that. I have also tested positive for ehrlichia, chlamydophila pneumoniae, Q Fever, and Strep Syndrome.

I have been tested for other co-infections as well (bart and babs etc) but keep coming up negative. I did have a blood smear done but I don't think it was with the labs that you mentioned.

The Q Fever doesn't come up positive anymore. Hasn't in a while. The rest is still persistent though. I know that the co-infections I have can be complicating things for me but it still is strange to me that I don't really seem to be getting anywhere with any of it.

That is why I wonder about maybe having XMRV.

Anyhow...this should all be pretty interesting stuff.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Foreshadowing? I just recalled an interesting snapshot from my past. I had totally forgotten until seeing the new name for XMRV (now HGRV - Human Gamma Retro Virus) that I had been in this play in high school. But I have little memory of anything other than my fight to defend some rather strange looking, yet brilliant marigolds. Always loved the title - and the marigolds.

"The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds" - written by Paul Zindel
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kday,

Of course we have. That's part of evolution. Circle of life. We're overpopulated.

Unfortunately, future generations will have to pay for what we're currently doing to the earth.

At least until we resort back to using what God provided for us.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When .000001% of the earth's population controls 99.9999% of its resources, I don't think we can speak of overpopulation.
Popularizing that argument is an effort by the "elite" to blame the victims--we're at fault because we exist.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. B (Jr. not senior)is the doctor...just to avoid confusion.

Read closely transmission here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenotropic_murine_leukemia_virus-related_virus

And pro - con re: prostate cancer.

Heated discussion:

http://www.cfscentral.com/

Newbies...XMRV = Xenotropic Murine leukemia Virus-related Virus

It is a gamma RETROVIRUS.

A xenotropic virus can grow in the cells of a species foreign to the normal host species, a species different from that which normally hosts it.

Xenotropic: Infect only non-mouse cells (e.g. rat, hamster).

Murine = rats/mice.

Rats!

Yea...I know...Pied Piper...story laced with metaphors! Eerie. Some of you will understand.

A retrovirus is an RNA virus that is replicated in a host cell via the enzyme reverse transcriptase to produce DNA from its RNA genome. The DNA is then incorporated into the host's genome by an integrase enzyme.

Simply, DNA is usually transcribed into RNA, and RNA is translated into protein.

However, retroviri function differently - their RNA is reverse-transcribed into DNA, which is integrated into the host cell's genome (when it becomes a provirus), and then undergoes the usual transcription and translational processes to express the genes carried by the virus.

The virus that causes AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is a retrovirus.

And IT is supposedly being "dealt with" via GcMAF.

Animation of retrovirus here:

http://www.whfreeman.com/kuby/content/anm/kb03an01.htm

Drugs known as reverse transcriptase inhibitors include the nucleoside and nucleotide analogues zidovudine (trade name Retrovir or better known as AZT), lamivudine (Epivir) and tenofovir (Viread), as well as non-nucleoside inhibitors, such as nevirapine (Viramune).

About "junk" DNA:

What are you finding about the importance of known genes versus the "junk DNA" in between them?

We're learning a lot about this. At the NIH we have a project called ENCODE--Encyclopedia of DNA Elements.

It's a coordinated effort among 30 labs to identify all of the parts of the human genome that have biological activity, including the so-called junk DNA.

We have found that there is a lot more action.

There are transcription factors happening and RNA being made.

We still don't know if all of this activity is actually doing something or if it's the equivalent of background noise, but we're working to find out."

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/feb/interview-francis-collins

If our brain grey matter is indeed shrinking (Current Discover magazine article) - (DHA content in grey matter - compliments of mom when we were growing in her), it can be interpreted as humans dumbing down OR being unnecessary since we rely more on each other now for everything instead of individual survival.

Perhaps we shouldn't have gotten away from eating so much fish and fresh fruits and vegetables?

If pathogens evolve, is it so hard to see we maybe too?

The retrovirus that causes MS actually is NEEDED to anchor the placenta.It is called Syncytin.

HERV-W (if the protein was "whole" it would need "W" which stands for tryptophan.

HERV = human endogenous retrovirus.

Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are retroviruses derived from ancient viral infections of germ cells in humans, mammals and other vertebrates; as such their proviruses are passed on to the next generation and now remain in the genome.

"In 2007, a collaborative group lead by Doug Nixon and Keith Garrison at the University of California San Francisco, and by Mario Ostrowski and Brad Jones at the University of Toronto, published a study providing evidence for T cell immune responses against HERVs in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infected individuals.

The group hypothesized that HIV induces HERV expression in HIV infected cells,

and that a vaccine targeting HERV antigens could therefore specifically eliminate HIV infected cells.

The potential advantage of this novel approach is that, by using HERV antigens as surrogate markers of HIV infected cells, it could circumvent the difficulty inherent in directly targeting notoriously diverse and rapidly mutating HIV antigens." Wikipedia

"Characterization of HIV-1 vectors with ***gammaretrovirus envelope glycoproteins*** produced from stable packaging cells.

We have recently described a novel, stable human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) vector packaging system, STAR.

High-titre HIV-1 vectors bearing gammaretrovirus envelopes (Env) are continuously produced from STAR cells."

http://www.nature.com/gt/journal/v11/n7/abs/3302189a.html

Keep in mind...it is now thought beta amyloid is PROTECTIVE.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/03/16/betaamyloid_an_antibiotic.php

Heavier reading for others:

http://precedings.nature.com/documents/4765/version/1/files/npre20104765-1.pdf

Perhaps the gammaretrovirus is trying to "help out"?

Think about this:

In physics, a photon is usually denoted by the symbol γ (the Greek letter gamma).

[ 08-21-2010, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

I thought it odd when it was explained that they only found the virus on the external epithelium tissues and not internal in the prostate patients

...You might be right,

But the good thing about this is it might get us some real help since they are finding it in a lot of chronic ill patients.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinelady, those videos w/the Dr on Lyme induced Autism, parts 1 and 2 are phenomenal! I'm going to forward that to a number of people. I'm in California and recently saw her name on a list of LLMDs. I'd never heard of her before and wondered what she was like, and after hearing her speak, I would definitely be comfortable going to her.

The only negative is that I don't think she takes insurance, but neither did any of my other LLMDs.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
comet 28
Member # 27705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for comet 28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would need some clearification, when Dr. B. mentioned that news of the Human Gamma Retro Virus would of interest to Chronic Lyme patients just wondering what did he mean?
Posts: 16 | From Mississauga,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comet 28--

Dr. Burrascano said, "the volume of new and important information about this virus and its disease associations is increasing rapidly and in my opinion should be a concern to every patient with chronic neuro-immune diseases,including those with chronic Lyme."

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why this would be important to all lyme patients. Maybe some....the ones that have "chronic fatigue" symptoms. Doesn't seem likely that all lyme patients will have this.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone gotten tested for this, or know how accurate the tests are?

If you have tested positive are you on one or more of the big 3?

Our LLND wants both my daughter and husband tested because of their un-ending fatigue. Fatigue is my daughter's primary symptom.

I am wondering if I really want to know if they have this retro-virus????? Insurance companies won't pay for the big 3 drugs.

There have been mention of studies coming up. Part of me says that if they test positive that I want them on the drugs ASAP but the other part says that I don't want my family to be 'test mice' so to speak.

Then I am also freaking out that if they both have it, then I may too. It's got to be passsed the same as HIV, so that means that I could also have it.

I know I sound freaked out, and I am. Finally got my brain wrapped around Lyme and co. What if it's something else???

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Ok... so how do you generally treat viruses?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement