LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Levaquin and tendonitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levaquin and tendonitis
jo1
Member # 27570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has just put me back on Levaguin. I have been on for 4 days. I took it a few months ago, but stopped due to some "tightness" in my ankles and back of legs. And now, that same feeling is coming back.

My question is: Is tightness or mild discomfort around the ankles and heel a precursor to tendonitis? or What does tendonitis feel like? I have never had it. jo

Posts: 12 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had it. Also, I haven't tried Levaquin yet either. What I have read is that it is recommended to take magnesium for a few weeks before starting Levaquin, then certainly continue while on it. Check into it further. You don't want to develop a problem. Good luck!
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started Levaquin - after loading up on magnesium - I had the same symptoms. Then I stopped and after the pain had subsided, I took it for 4 weeks.
In my case, it ended with an inflammation in all tendons and joints + very bad other sideeffects.

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr B recommends loading up on magnesium and vitamin C prior to taking Levaquin and then continuing to take it but making sure it is several hours apart so it does not interfere with the absorption of levaquin.

I got tendonitis from levaquin. You have to be very careful because if that tightness or pain was not there before, it can quickly escalate. I had a little pain in my shoulder and then it just snapped. It is thought that levaquin reduces the blood flow to your tendons, which already have limited circulation, which causes the damage.

After I was damaged the pain continued for 8 months. I found that take high amounts of amino acids helped get me over it, especially methionine and lysine. So if I were starting over, I would take 1000mg magnesium, 2000 mg vitamin c, 500 mg methionine and 500 mg lysine for a month before starting levaquin and then continue.

It is the super drug for knocking out bart. Even though I was hurt badly from it, I believe it is worth the risk as long as you remain cautious and quit at the firs sign of damage.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the same leg issues but really felt like Levaquin was working well. I may restart soon after adding in the magnesium. I'm wondering if lower dosing may also help.

There is also the option of trying its relatives: Cipro, Factive...

Good luck.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jo1
Member # 27570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you all so much. This is just the information that I needed. I am stopping the Levaquin. I agree that it works well, and I had hoped that I could continue, but I don't want to take the risk.

There must be other option for treating Bart. My LLMD did mention Cipro. But I think Cipro might have the same issues. jo

Posts: 12 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement