LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Monolaurin and coconut oil and viruses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monolaurin and coconut oil and viruses
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an ad on Planet Thrive about Monolaurin and it's effectiveness against viruses.

I stopped at the health food store to buy some today and they didn't have it. He was curious so checked his computer and saw it's derived from coconut oil.

I figure coconut oil would be less expensive than monolaurin capsules would be.

I know some here take coconut oil. How much to take per day?

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard 2 Tbsp.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would have to eat a LOT of coconut oil to get an effective dose of monolaurin.

The only source I know is the orginal, Lauricidin, you can look it up on line. They say to start out slow if you are heavy with viruses, as little as 1/4 scoop.

Maybe Keebler would know if there is another brand that is less expensive...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only take pure virgin CC oil/no additives. And I take what I can tolerate.

You can try the lauracidin as it eliminates the greasiness, but I use the oil on my skin too.

Or just do both...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil is great for cooking and baking, and it melts just a little above room temperature so you can add some to warm soup or other food. It has little flavor so I have also just let it melt on my tongue.

Since it's a food and good for you, you could probably eat several tablespoons in a day if you wanted. Being a fat, you will fill up and stop feeling hungry at some point, so there's some limit to how much your body will let you consume at once.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mallory
Member # 23364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mallory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This source says 3-4 tbs a day:

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/coconut_oil_healthy.htm

--------------------
College Student
Suspected tick bite: 07/2007
Diagnosed and started treatment: 01/10

Posts: 33 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks...its a proven fact...Lauricidin IS Monolaurin at its best.

It is manufactured by the man that FOUND Monolaurin...it would take GALLONS on Virgin Coconut oil. Coconut oils are good for you....but, there is no Monolaurin effect from it at the levels we use it at.

You MUST buy Lauricidin for the Medicinal effect if that is what we desire.

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monolaurin is beter choice for people that are sick.Coconut oil is for people that want to stay helthy.
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Troutscout and Maradona put it very well: coconut oil is good for you [ I have used it for some 6 years as a cooking fat of choice [also olive oil], but don't expect it to be therapeutic in the sense that Lauricidin is said to be.

I have also taken the latter, but don't want to put you off trying it when I say that it didn't help me in an obvious way [perhaps I had no herpes viruses!].

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For now I'll use 3-4 T a day and when I can afford it I'll get the monolaurin.

I just tried it on skin and it feels good. Hopefully, with time it'll work from the inside out and give me a face lift anyway. [Smile]

Ecological Formulas is what is sold on Planet Thrive. Right now there is a code for $5.00.

I'll ask my LLMD next time I see her.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trishc
Member # 28731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trishc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troutscout, I have been trying to PM you but your mailbox has been full. Could you PM me at your earliest convenience.
Thanks.

Posts: 15 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement