LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For those of you with neuro-lyme/ cognitive impairment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For those of you with neuro-lyme/ cognitive impairment
Knight33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you with serious cognitive problems (memory loss, no concentration, slowed thinking process) did oral antibiotics work for you?

Or did you have to go on IV antibiotics?

If so, how long were you on IV until your neuro-lyme/cognitive problems went away?

Posts: 121 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had cognitive issues, although not nearly as bad as some. I"m still in treatment but have only done oral abx. My neuro issues are mainly gone today!

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral abx did a lot for my cognitive problems, but after I went on IV Rocephin they cleared up completely.

I was on IV for three months, but noticed the improvement within a couple of weeks.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Knight33;

Unfortunately I have not yet received care from an LLMD yet.

I have major cognitive issues. Memory loss, no concentration, slowed thinking process.

The only thing I do right now is try to rest as much as I can. I try to not put myself in stressful situations. This seems to really set them off.

I think it is Magnesium that was suggested to me. I also take Tumeric and Vitamin C.

I hope this helps.

Connie in STL

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!!

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron/Zith worked for me.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, orals didnt help much for my neuro stuff, only iv.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that orals can work as good as IVs in your brain.. you just have to find out which dosage u need to get enough high blood levels. i was 14 months on several oral ABx and they helped all.. but my psych stuff etc starting to disappear with mepron/zith/arte
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orals did not work for me (9 months). I am about to start IV therapy.
Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orals. I had my first break when I treated bartonella and parasites at the same time (so I don't know which did the trick). We were discussing that I would be getting IV if this treatment didn't work.

I am well today.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme987
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orals did nothing for me. 4 months of IV rocefin and flagyl plus lots of orals. Most of it cleared after that.

I also have every co-infection so my treatment has taken me years. I'm on year 3 and I have a hickman catheter now. All cognitive sypmtoms have gone and I think I'm almost there.

Good luck!

Posts: 298 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all neuro symptoms. Resolved with a few months of oral Mino/Mepron/Malarone/Tindamax.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maybesparrow
Member # 27170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maybesparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
99% of my symptoms were neuro/psych -- i've been on orals since february. was nearly 90% better, then started treating the babesia and have slid back a bit, but the fog is slowly lifting.
Posts: 6 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have major neuro problems, including speech and swallowing difficulty. Oral abx have not usually worked for me.

A few years ago I was hospitalized for septicemia and given IV vancomycin and naphcillin daily for 6 weeks. Everyone was so surprised that I was so much better after many years being totally bedridden and thoroughly confused. My husband said that I kept asking people what "9/11" meant. No one thought to test for lyme.

I gradually relapsed, my slow speech returned along with major cognitive dysfunction. I was finally tested last year and have been having success with Bicillin shots twice a week and 1000 mg daily of oral Biaxin.

My speech was the first symptom to improve...at least it was quite noticeable. I see a top notch LLMD and he advises slow and steady meds over a longer period of time...at least a year and maybe longer. We are trying to avoid IV abx because of the risk of infection and the difficulty of getting the meds. But I will go with it if it becomes necessary.

These neuro symptoms are hell...it is like someone reaching down your throat and pulling your whole self out and leaving you with only a shell. I live one day at a time, love my family to pieces and thank God for my LLMD!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash

triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Farraday. I like that description. Like someone is pulling your whole self out. That is exactly what it feels like. I keep telling my doc. No it's not brain fog "it's worse."

I have done both oral and IV. They both can be effective. I think Mepron has been the most helpful for my brain stuff but it comes back when I go off of the medicine.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I had a Rocephin IV for 3 months. I was taking some supps, but at the time of my IV, I was not under the care of a LLMD, rather an ID doc who was a bit better than most.
The IV did not do much for me. Perhaps it was because of the lack of a cyst buster, or ANY other co med.
I had some odd symptoms, and I definitely felt some really strong neuro herxes, but after almost 12 weeks, my balance was still off, and I was still depressed, confused, and out of it.

IM Bicillin seems to have been the strongest thing I've had yet. I'm about to change to a new protocol, as per my LLMD.

Many people have said great things about an IV, and I would be willing to try it again, with a cyst buster. But a Rocephin IV alone did not do much for me.

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antivirals have also helped me significantly. Valcyte, acyclovir and oxymatrine (a chinese herb for battling enterovirus).

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if ab do not work, then you have to go on detox (Cf neurotoxins and cognitve impairement...)
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

What kind of detox?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement