LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What about Anxiety??? Anyone suffer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about Anxiety??? Anyone suffer?
NJLymie
Member # 27717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else suffer from debilitating anxiety?? More like Panic attacks...Like everyday?? This is one of the worst symptoms for me along with the dizziness, and overwhelming fatigue. I have lyme, but was told i have no coinfections. Has treatment helped anyone of you who suffer from this terrible symptom. If so, how long into treatment. When I herx this symptom is 10X worse!!
Posts: 28 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has horrible anxiety, it seem to get somewhat better when treating with Rifampin,

But last few months it has become horrible again. It seem to get worse on Cipro and Bactrim.

She has Lyme, Bart, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Ehrliciosis and Myco P.

Anxiety is her most bothersome symptom.

Hope you feel better.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
* Are you consuming even a trace of aspartame or MSG? Google for the names they both hide under. Even a trace can clobber you. Avoid all artificial ingredients and processed foods.

Stevia (from plants) is okay. SweetLeaf is the best brand. Trader Joe's is safe, too.

* Are you being treated by a lyme literate, ILADS-educated doctor?

Anxiety is a frequent symptom of lyme, due in equal parts to:

* Liver, brain, ears/balance, adrenals - all reacting to the toxicity of infection. Inflammation can contribute, too.

* Magnesium deficiency is common with lyme and a huge contributor to anxiety. B-6 is another supplement that is needed to help magnesium work.

In addition to treating infection -- liver support and adrenal support are key to managing this. The liver support also helps the ears, if you have any balance issue that through you off.

--------------------
ADRENAL LINKS:
--------------------

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections. The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of STRESS on a person with such infections. You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

===============================

Many good basic articles about Adrenal Dysfunction:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Adrenal_Dysfunction

=========================

http://webhome.idirect.com/~wolfnowl/thyroid7.htm

Get To Know Your Endocrine System -by Lauri M. Aesoph, N.D.

Excerpt:

(section on) Adrenal Glands

. . . Your body reacts to these hormones with a "flight or fight" response: pounding heart, dilated pupils and high blood pressure. . . .

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

======================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes (By CP Staff)

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

. . . In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

. . . In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response. . . .

. . . The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''

===================

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l - through Amazon:

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris (Author), Per Marin (Author)

Much about stress reactions here. - you can read customer reviews at the link. Attention is given to lyme and other chronic stealth infections however, it does not go into details about solutions.

===========================

This is not a lyme book.

This book has only one reference to lyme (in the historical use of sarsarparilla for another spirochetal infection). However, it is a vital first book to read - or a reference - for anyone interested in understanding nutritional methods.

Search for Ashwagandha; Cordyceps; Siberian Ginseng in this book:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson)

Graciously, much of this book is on line. It can also be purchased from this site or through Amazon where you can look inside the book and see many customer reviews.

Amazon link to this book: http://tinyurl.com/6zapeh

=====================

The Rhodiola Revolution byt Richard P. Brown, MD and Patricia L. Gerbarg, MD, et.al.

See this at Amazon.

======================

If help beyond supplements is needed, sometimes LLMDs will prescribe LOW DOSE CORTEF (Hydrocortisone).

While steroids are dangerous with lyme, the low-dose Cortef is more like the body should be producing, but can't and lyme patients who need it generally do very well with it. A few may not be able to handle it.

Usually, the adrenal supplements are employed first.

For many good past LymeNet Threads, you can search here:
-------------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

Search both terms, "Hydrocortisone" & and also "Cortef"

=================

Also keep this in mind: the inner ear (vestibular system) is usually affected by lyme (or by any of the tick-borne or stealth infections). This list explains a lot about how much stress that causes:
---------

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

===================

LIVER SUPPORT is also vital for the ears. 3/4 of the way down page one in the thread below, you will see that.

Specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Remember that lyme really messes up the HPA axis (Hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal network). The pituitary has much to do with weight/growth. Mess up any part of the endocrine system and other parts suffer, too. Panic can be the result due to depletion of stress hormones.

See page 4 where Dr. Burrascano describes a bit about the considerations of the dysfunction with the HYPOTHALAMIC-PITUITARY AXIS:
----------

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too. Cordyceps is suggested here to help adrenal function:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

** Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease **

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages

It's very important to have this book as a reference tool for self-care and support measures. It answers so many questions, including those about stress issues:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)- by KS, MD

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLymie
Member # 27717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I do coffee enemas daily...do they help to support the liver? If not, what do you suggest?
Posts: 28 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLymie
Member # 27717

Thanks for the info. I do coffee enemas daily...do they help to support the liver? If not, what do you suggest?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Coffee enemas help to get toxins out but this is not the same kind of a liver support as is milk thistle. I would not suggest enemas daily - but maybe weekly. The colon and sphincter can loose a lot of muscle tone and elasticity if enemas are done daily.

A high fiber diet might be considered so that your bowels can eliminate without an enema.

=================

LIVER SUPPORT - 3/4 of the way down page one in the thread below, you will see that.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS-
-

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had terrible anxiety from Feb-April before I was diagnosed. I'm fortunate that it is all gone today. I'm in my 15th week of treatment.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLymie
Member # 27717

bcb1200 I am so glad you are feeling better. I had the severe anxiety for 7 years before being dx in June. So you have no- coninfections either? So many people say that bartonella is the one that causes all the anxiety and not the lyme. But I tend to disagree.
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating for almost a year now. Some drugs seem to make the anxiety/panic worse but it's always there. Milk thistle made me nauseous after a while and did nothing for anxiety. I've given up. I white knuckle my way through the very few things I have to do which are ALWAYS accompanied by anxiety and or panic.

Everyone has suggestions on lymenet but most of them have not helped me one bit. Just lots of $ spent on this or that supplement etc. Not even the 6 abx cocktails have helped. Maybe the 20th or 100th will do the trick. I feel defeated today. Sorry for the pessimism.

Good luck finding relief.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sickpuppy:
Treating for almost a year now. Some drugs seem to make the anxiety/panic worse but it's always there. Milk thistle made me nauseous after a while and did nothing for anxiety. I've given up. I white knuckle my way through the very few things I have to do which are ALWAYS accompanied by anxiety and or panic.

Everyone has suggestions on lymenet but most of them have not helped me one bit. Just lots of $ spent on this or that supplement etc. Not even the 6 abx cocktails have helped. Maybe the 20th or 100th will do the trick. I feel defeated today. Sorry for the pessimism.

Good luck finding relief.

I won't give you any suggestions, but 6 abx cocktails isn't going to help clean up your terrain. In fact, it would probably just do the opposite. It would probably add some extra yeast to the equation as well.

I haven't fixed my anxiety, but at one point I was told by my doctor and others that I had "the most severe anxiety they have ever seen in their career." No joke.

After lots of trial and error, and a bit of luck, I got my body to dumping toxins like crazy.

No, it wasn't Milk thistle, NAC, ALA, Whey, Coffee Enemas, epsom salt baths, etc. It was a few simple vitamins.

Though Whey and NAC helped me before I found something better.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ, you say you have no co-infections.. Are you sure? They don't always show up with blood work and sometimes need to be clinically diagnosed.

Many people have spent years treating Lyme, when co-infections should have been addressed first.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
applewine
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for applewine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had bouts of depression and anxiety after starting bactrim. I wonder if its related to that. Of course I have a lot of things to worry about as well because of the health. But, after I started taking the bactrim, I kept thinking morbid thoughts for some reason. I'm feeling better today, but who knows.

Before I knew I had lyme I was depressed because of the vestibular problems I was having. The vertigo attacks and balance issues. Thankfully that went away, though I got stressed this last week and today it seemed like it was almost a little sensitive. I wonder if stress makes this act up.

Posts: 136 | From arlington, VA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I have Bart. I tested just over the cutoff, so technically I'm positive. Plus I have (or had) a majority of the symptoms. (Gastritis, Gerd, Anxiety, depression, mental / neuro stuff, tinnitus, calf muscle twitching.)

I go on levaquin in September to get it. Been treating lyme until now.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLymie
Member # 27717

Kday, what vitamins are you taking that helped? All the help you can give would be appreciated.

Lullully, They tested through Igeniex and they came back neg. How accurate they are I have no idea.

Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim always escalates anxiety for me. I have thought it may be bart. I will be getting back tests soon but I have the foot pain and anxiety symptoms -- and I know that feeling of doom- it is like a true panic attack. This is happening less thankfully. I hope this gets better for you.
Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Kday, what are these supplements that helped you?
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ, My daughter tested for babs through Igenex and got a negative result. She also tested through a DNA lab in Canada and got negative results. She presents with all the symptoms of babesia and is treating for that now.

We're told that if you test too early on, they can come back negative. The blood smear also doesn't always show the babesia organism. To put it the way our LLMD stated, it has to come out of hiding in order to be seen.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

So how long does that take and from what point? Do they come out during treatment?
lululymemom
Member # 26405

It's such a hit and miss, I would never rely on blood tests for this diagnosis, especially if you're paying alot for each test.

Not sure if you can ever catch them at any definite time..

If you're one of the lucky ones with a positive result then definitely begin treatment right away, but don't always think that just because your test came back negative that you definitely don't have it.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Well if I had babs I was just on 12 weeks of mepron and zith. If I have bart my tests were negative and when I asked my doc about it he didn't think I had it. All the symptoms overlap so how can you tell? I quess take the abx and see. Not sure I can convince my llmd.
lululymemom
Member # 26405

The best way to cover both is to take Bactrim DS as it treats both co-infections. My daughter is currently on mepron and biaxin.. if she doesn't see improvement after another month, we will switch her to Bactrim.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

can bactrim be taken with plaquenil and biaxin?
that's my current regime.

lululymemom
Member # 26405

I have heard of it being taken with biaxin, and that is what we were planning to do. We are also pulsing Tinidazole (another cyst buster) so I would think all three would work together.

We are going to check with LLMD on Thursday just to be sure..

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

It's one round after another. I'm not sure my doc'll put me on more than 2 things at once at this time. I made a note to ask about the bactrim next visit. thnx and goodnight [Smile]
NJLymie
Member # 27717

So is all this anxiety caused by lyme, or babesia or bart??? It all seems so confusing, What vitamins help the anxiety??
bcb1200
Member # 25745

I believe anxiety is mainly a Bart (primary) and lyme symptom.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

lululymemom
Member # 26405

I have heard Bart as well causes anxiety. L Theanine helps with that. I've heard that Kava is good for that too, but due to strict food and drug restrictions, it's not available in Canada.

[ 08-30-2010, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: lululymemom ]

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Soooooo kday has yet to tell us what the "few simple vitamins" are.
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had anxiety, I am a fatigued sleepy depressed type of person. Until I tried two different medications that caused me to have anxiety.

1. Abilify...that drug almost killed me

2. Mepron...everyone talks about Mepron blues, but I must be one strange girl because it gives me light anxiety. Not so I can't function, but it makes it hard for me to sleep at night.

However, my husband has bart and has a lot of anxiety.

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maybesparrow
Member # 27170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maybesparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ, anxiety/panic were some of my primary symptoms. within the first few months of taking oral doxy (along with several vitamins, minerals and supplements), my anxiety/panic disappeared.

i was just recently tested via IGeneX (finally!) -- positive for lyme, babesia and ehrlichia. still wondering if i have bart but i will be seeing a new LLMD next week to see what he thinks.

my heart goes out to you -- i know how awful this symptom is!!! i felt like i should have been in a rubber room.

Posts: 6 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
organictexan
Member # 27653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for organictexan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme had shot my adrenals all to hell. My panic attacks were so bad, they would wake me up in the middle of the night. I couldn't get a massage without taking Xanax because my anxiety caused my claustrophobia to go off the scale. I am happy to say that once I started taking Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder and started using Nutramedix Amantilla, I no longer have anxiety or panic attacks. Threw the Xanax away!
Posts: 15 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement