LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Worried - need input

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried - need input
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My abx just quit working. I was doing really well and then I plunged again with both bartonella and lyme symptoms coming back. I had not had any lyme symptoms for a long time - maybe a year.

So I upped the abx. Taking the tindamax 7 days this week instead of two and added in augmentin for the blood form of lyme yesterday. I was worried about the augmentin because last time it seemed to make my tongue swell. I have been taking Bactrim DS and zithro.

Today I had really bad diarrhea, like water.
I have new symptoms as well. There is a lump behind my ear which hurts when pressed. It is against the skull.

I have had trouble with my voice becoming hoarse and that is getting worse.
Cramps are worse as are headaches, burning shins,hot flashes, some muscle twitching and tingling sensations and feeling of being stabbed by needle.

I just don't understand this. Why is it coming back so quickly and why is it getting worse on more abx? Should I quit the augmentin due to the diarrhea?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone who always got very bad diarrhea from augmentin. How are you with probiotics and anti-yeast stuff?

Is the lump possibly a gland?

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking probiotics every day and I also take nystantin to help prevent yeast. While I was on rifampin (which does nothing for me) I got bad yeast.

I don't know what the lump is as it is on the skull and very hard.
Before when I relapsed in the fall I was only on herbs but this time full abx so I think it is just impossible to prevent.

Searching the forum, a hoarse voice seems to be related to bart.

I am quitting the augmentin. It was amoxy (also in augmentin) that seemed to make my tongue swell, not augmentin, so I will try it later, when I get the diarrhea under control.

Kind of worried I am at the end of the line for abx.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try olive leaf extract for the diarrhea. Or maybe goldenseal capsules. Both should help rebalance your G.I. bacteria.

The higher dose of tindamax is probably what you are reacting to.

Hubby has actually been having some sweats from Tindamax. Since it is an antiparasitic med I think it may have a slight effect on babs and other bloodborne parasites.

My guess is you are herxing rather than getting worse. I know it is so hard to tell.

Hang in there.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probiotics (At least 20 billion/day. 100 billion+ may be better right now)
Florastor (can be tricky to take with anti-fungals)
Grapefruit seed extract for yeast/diarrhea (may herx from it. Some studies indicate it is more potent than Flagyl)
Colloidal silver for yeast and bacteria. (Potentiates all antibioitcs as well)

Forget Nystatin. Diflucan and Silver are better.

Flagyl for diarrhea if it's C. Diff and if the above doesn't do the job.

(These are just ideas, not medical advice)

More importantly, what are you doing for detox and for your terrain? Is there an ND you can see?

Are you under the care of a doctor? It sounds like every time you get better from antibiotics, you relapse quickly. It doesn't sound like your immune system recovers for whatever reason.

While I think one should always take caution when using immune system boosters with Lyme and co-infections, maybe something like Transfer Factor Multi-Immune would help.

Are your WBC counts below the normal range?

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a lot of meds and I know MY gut would be distressed too!

kday has some good info there! I hope you feel better soon!!

[group hug]

Nystatin is pretty good... how much are you taking?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Thanks, I quit the augmentin and that helped with the diarrhea - not as bad today. I think it is the increase in tindamax that is giving me this horrible headache today. I was completely out of it mentally too.

It would be nice if it was a major herx but i don't know. I will have to get the goldenseal, olive leaf extract but I have a lot of probiotics. I have grapefruit seed extract and can add it in. I do believe diflucan is better than nystantin because it has activity against lyme - but the last LLND would not give it to me for some reason.

I started chlorella. I also have a drink for detoxing. Just have to remember to take all of this stuff - so much.

I will look into Transer Factor Multi Immune.

I don't know where my blood work stands. I had a blood test a month ago and the doctor never called so guess it was ok.

I decided the lump is not serious. I think my sunglasses may have caused it. I guess that was a bit too reactive - but so much is happening all of a sudden.

Thanks again

--------------------

lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would call your doc and sto pall antibiotics until your diarrhea is resolved. I would make SURE you are on Florastor and good quality probiotics as well.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple of questions:
quote:
Originally posted by nefferdun:I do believe diflucan is better than nystantin because it has activity against lyme - but the last LLND would not give it to me for some reason.
What do you mean it has activity against Lyme? He probably didn't give it because it is hard on the liver...

And speaking of liver, some lemon water can help get these toxins out of your system faster, and helps with the body's pH. Just one lemon (and maybe a lime if you have it) squeezed in a glass of water, and alittle sweetener [Smile]

i understand so much abotu fighting bart and lyme and almost having to do it yourself because of complications. my complication is yeast and a (pardon me) screwed up immune system. sometimes you just want to give up... and every onc ein a while, I do, just for one day, then the next day I try again... sometimes you need it just to keep your sanity

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement