LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ceftin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ceftin
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was just diagnosed in late june and started treatment july 5th. LLMD started me on biaxin, didn't have any side effects other than the bitter taste in my mouth. i did go thru periods of herx when i first started it and when he increased my dosage.

i will be finished with the biaxin by the 16th and he wants me to start ceftin. what was your experience with ceftin? can i expect any side effects? did you take it in combo with other abx or alone?

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on it now and haven't had any positive changes yet. I didn't have any side effects persay, just feel sick from Lyme etc.

The Ceftin is a HORRRIBLEEE tasting pill. Very bitter. I suggest you take it with juice or something at the beginning. Also, if the taste is bad to you, you can take a little honey in your mouth right after and it cuts the bitterness.

Sorry I dont have anything more to say... [Frown]

Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missyindc
Member # 27598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missyindc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceftin plus Azithro were my first two drugs, for five months. No side effects that I noticed, no issues, no bad tastes. Made decent progress. Now on biaxin and omnicef, much more problematic with yeast on these. Be sure to take good probiotics! I wish you the best!
Posts: 30 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the antibiotics I've been on Ceftin was the best.

If I could only treat Lyme with one abx that'd be the one.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think biaxin is horrible as far as the taste goes. the bitterness lasts for hours no matter what i try to combat the bitterness. hopefully the ceftin won't be worse than that. thanks for the tips renny, i'll make sure i try that if i have a problem.

it's very comforting to know that you thought that ceftin was the best. and that there weren't any bad side effects. makes me feel better about taking it.

missy, how do i know if i'm taking a good probiotic? my LLMD didn't give me a specific recommendation so i've just been picking up Accuflora from the grocery store.

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dali
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For swallowing ceftin, which does taste terrible
(but it doesn't last like biaxin).

Dip your pill in olive oil (or vegetable oil). This creates a capsule and if you drink it quick with water you won't taste a thing!

I had no side effects from ceftin.

Posts: 172 | From ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

thanks for the tip dali, i will definitely try that if the taste is unbearable. glad to hear that it doesn't last as long as biaxin!

also wondering in your opinion, do you think combo treatments are the way to go or do you feel better on just one abx at a time?

if anyone can answer the probiotic question too that would be great!

renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for probiotics- my doc just said "get the one with the highest potency"... not very clear.

I have a lot of GI issues so I order VSL3 (which is a VERY GOOD and quite $$) probiotic. I take 3 pills of that a day.

I also take florastor, which I believe I learned about from this board. Everyone said to me if you are on abx you NEED florastor to prevent a GI infection called CDiff. I take two of those a day.

I take them about 3 hrs after my antibiotics in the morning and 3 hours after in the evening.

Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tolerated both well (but I didn't take them together)

The Biaxin taste isn't as bad if you eat something substantial when you take it.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

i don't know mojo, i take mine with breakfast and dinner and i get a terrible taste for hours...maybe it's different for everyone, just like everything else with this disease!

i'm actually kind of looking forward to taking something new in the hopes that i feel some improvement. even if it's one symptom letting up or going away!

as far as probiotics, i take Accuflora which i found this review "The ingredients are Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Streptococcus thermopiles and Bifidbacterium bifidum.
The combination of pro-biotics used in Accuflora means that my body would get far more benefits from straight Acidophilus. The dose of 2 tablets per day has one billion active cultures..."

does that sound like a good probiotic? it's what i've been taking twice daily and i'm hoping it's enough...

nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used ceftin for bartonella successfully?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

ok, so i screwed up on my calendar and i actually started today, not next week.

oh, dali, i am so happy that you shared your olive oil trick with me! the pill seemed to start dissolving as soon as i put it in my mouth and the taste was HORRIBLE!! i'm going to try it with the olive oil tonight and see if that helps.

anyone have any feedback about Accuflora probiotic?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement