LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any of you have Celiac Disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any of you have Celiac Disease?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you have Celiac disease along with lyme. Do you think it was before or after or because of lyme?

What about food allergies?

Have you found that food allergies have caused very quick ups and downs from increased inflammation and made you feel worse in the same day or the next day based on what you ate?

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Many LLMDs strongly suggest that their patients avoid gluten, corn, dairy and soy. It gives treatment a better chance.

Many infections can cause celiac.

Some infections bring to the forefront celiac that may have been dormant. Some may also find that stomach pain (or pain anywhere in the body) or even brain fog may have been caused all along by celiac but were unaware of it.

For some, when lyme is in remission, a certain amount of organic whole wheat may again be enjoyed.

It's a good idea to get genetic testing, though, to be sure if it's genetic celiac or acquired through infection.

Also, in the case of it not being celiac but sensitivities, see the Allergie-Immune website and threads here:

================

http://allergie-immun.de/Englisch/

ALLERGIE-IMMUNE

=================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/95952

GiGi started this thread 23 June, 2010

============

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/76633

A discussion of using AI drops on LymeNet

============

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/76633/35?

Topic: Allergie-Immun Germany
-

[ 09-07-2010, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/91781

Topic: Gluten Free Diets, help Lyme pain???

Food Intolerance- Man and Animals versus Gluten, Casein, Soy, and Corn

---
http://www.venturaceliac.org/glutenfree-basics.htm

Gluten Free Basics

---
http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html

* Hidden Sources Of Gluten
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missyindc
Member # 27598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missyindc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first clue that life was going to get interesting was a diagnosis of Celiac about two years ago. I went gluten free, but things just didn't get better. No more vomiting, etc...but things just didn't feel right. Fast forward to January of this year, positive WB for Lyme. That explained the rest of the symptoms. My LLMD says Lyme can trigger celiac. Celiacs say any stress or serious illness can trigger it.
Posts: 30 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are not officially diagnosed with celiac but do have gluten intolerance. My grandmother had biopsy diagnosed celiac and my mom is gluten intolerant so I think we would have had this with or without Lyme.

We discovered our gluten problems a few years before the Lyme. Our gluten symptoms went away but new problems came up that we discovered were Lyme.

My daughter's Lyme symptoms are significantly worse if she has milk.

My other daughter doesn't have Lyme but does react with mental problems if she has milk or gluten.

I don't think I would have believed in the whole chronic Lyme thing, if I hadn't experienced the benefits of the gluten free diet. My daughter went to many doctors and had many tests to figure out what was causing her stomach problems. They found nothing and thought it was "anxiety". They didn't believe in the test I used to determine gluten was her problem. Some of them gave me the eye roll when I said she was gluten free. It was all a small taste of what was to come with the Lyme except I didn't need a doctor's involvement once we figured it out.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been tested for Celiac's per se, but I am intolerant of gluten, soy and milk.

I had stool testing done by DiagnosTechs and that is how I found out.

It was a HUGE eye-opener to me as I had no idea food issues were adding to my sickness. I avoid all three like the plague and have for a year and a half.

It is not a hardship at all for me since I feel so much better in that respect. The Lyme and cos. still get me down a lot, though.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme most of my life and began having trouble with wheat in the mid 70's. They tested me for celiac in 1980, but I had not been eating wheat for 5 yrs when they did the biopsy.

So guess what? It came back negative. I continued to avoid wheat anyway, as it made me ill. I knew nothing about gluten or the barley, rye, oats connection.

Around 2003 I was tested by my LLMD and he told me to avoid gluten like the plague. I did for about a month and saw no difference. I didn't know about having to check canned goods and other products' labels for hidden gluten.

Then about 4 yrs ago I REALLY began having gut issues. I went online to www.celiac.com and printed off their lists of OK foods and foods to avoid.

Bingo! Within 10 days, I felt great!

Now I'm having trouble again and am wondering if I've just become too lax when it comes to eating out or buying items that don't specifically say "gluten free."

SIGH

I've also been eating more dairy, so that doesn't help. I have no clue if I'm allergic or sensitive to soy or dairy.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gluten intolerant during my Lyme .... now I can eat it again. I did not have celiac.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was lyme that prompted me to give up gluten, but I believe I was sensitive to gluten for a long time. I'm going to avoid gluten forever, because I believe it is unhealthy, lyme or no lyme.
Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often when we blame wheat, etc., it is not a wheat or food problem, but the chemicals, often the ones used in processing, some of the 80,000 that we have to deal with every day, are the culprits. It takes time to clear all of them through AI -

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's not just that. New strains of wheat have been bred to have more gluten content, so it makes better bread. Also, bread-making mostly uses quick-rise yeast strains which are inferior to a real sourdough. So we're not actually eating the same bread as 150 years ago. So beware.
Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood testing for me showed borderline negative. I do feel better on a gluten free diet.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried going Gluten free, but to really do it properly was a BIG commitment, because of all the hidden Gluten.

If I had an official result telling me I needed to, then I would do it.

I had had the blood tests for Celiac and they were negative.

I got tested at www.enterolab.com . This lab tests for the antibodies to Gluten in the poop, which is where they first appear. My result was positive, and I also had low secretory IgA....which can skew the results to negative.

Later I had the genetic tests done for celiac and found that i have a double dose....1 for celiac, and 1 for gluten intolerance.

Testing for Celiac/Gluten is as tricky as that for Lyme.....great if you come up positive, but negative does not mean you haven't got it.

The good thing about Enterolab is that you don't need a doctors requisition to order.

I am now totally Gluten Free.

www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement