LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Probiotics and Nystatin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Probiotics and Nystatin
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be adding Nystatin 4 times daily. I know to space probiotics 2 hours apart.

I only take probiotics twice daily. Does each dose of Nystatin kill the probiots that were taken 2 hours before? Should more probiotics be added?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nystatin only targets yeast in the gut, it is not systemic like diflucan. Systemic means it affects the whole body.

Probiotics are not yeast but good gut bacteria thus nystatin has no effect on the good bacteria in probiotics.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to space it out from probiotics. The only thing you cant mix is Florastor (s.boulardii) with Antifungal drugs or it will just kill it off.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jo1
Member # 27570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a yeast infection, I am on Diflucan and Nystatin, and my doctor wants me to add Florastor as the probiotic. Are you saying that FLorastor will work against the Diflucan and Nystatin?
Posts: 12 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know I don't need to space it out. That makes it much easier to fit the nystatin in.

Also, would nystatin and diflucan need to be spaced apart from abx or vitamins? I know this has probably been asked before, but I can't find it.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddyfeet
Member # 26633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddyfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also confused about using Nystatin with Florastor. I'm currently taking florastor and was just given a prescription for nystatin.

If I take the florastor does it kill the nystatin or does the nystatin kill the florastor? Or am I just confused, well, I know I'm confused.

--------------------
Labcorp 6/10: IgM + 41, 39, 23

IGenex 7/10:
IFA Ind
IGenex/CDC IgM +:
18+, 23-25+, 30+, 31+++, 34++, 39++, 41++, 58++, 66+, 83-93+
IGenex IgG +:
31+, 34 IND, 41++, 58+

No memory of tick/rash. Sick 1/09. Diagnosed CFIDS 7/09. Diagnosed Lyme 7/10.

Posts: 56 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by muddyfeet:
I'm also confused about using Nystatin with Florastor. I'm currently taking florastor and was just given a prescription for nystatin.

If I take the florastor does it kill the nystatin or does the nystatin kill the florastor? Or am I just confused, well, I know I'm confused.

It is my understanding that Nystatin kills Florastor...even if spaced apart.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nystatin is an antifungal and Florastor is a good type of yeast. Nystatin kills Florastor which is undesirable.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddyfeet
Member # 26633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddyfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks jennie and janet. That makes sense to me.

I called my Gastroenterologist office and they told me I should not take ANY Probiotics while on antibiotics because antibiotics will just kill them off.

You're answer makes more sense.

It seems most people using abx treatment for lyme also take probiotics.

When I asked her about long term use of antibiotics and maintaining health flora etc. she told me she didn't know and I should ask the doctor prescribing the abx to me.

I have left him a message but he is the one who prescribed me Nystatin knowing I was taking Florastor so it makes me doubt his knowledge some.

I am only beginning treatment and am nervous about getting wrong treatment, waisting money on supps that make no difference because I'm taking something else that will kill them etc. And here it has already started!!!

--------------------
Labcorp 6/10: IgM + 41, 39, 23

IGenex 7/10:
IFA Ind
IGenex/CDC IgM +:
18+, 23-25+, 30+, 31+++, 34++, 39++, 41++, 58++, 66+, 83-93+
IGenex IgG +:
31+, 34 IND, 41++, 58+

No memory of tick/rash. Sick 1/09. Diagnosed CFIDS 7/09. Diagnosed Lyme 7/10.

Posts: 56 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

I,for one, sometimes wonder if taking probiotics while on abx is a waste of money.

I know many will disagree but it's only my opinion.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
muddy.. I think we have to TRY to counteract the yeast overgrowth.. by taking probiotics... just be sure to space them out.

GI drs and other mainstream drs will never say that probiotics work. They see no scientific proof. Well, our bodies are the proof.

If you go without the probos... then you will pay. Not a good thing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement