LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anxiety and Herx's!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anxiety and Herx's!!
NJLymie
Member # 27717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone get severe anxiety when they are going through herxing. I have had severe anxiety for 7 years, and it still continues. It is even worse when herxing. Sometimes, I dont know if the lyme is getting worse, or the anxiety is a symptom of herxing?? Anyone have any thoughts??

If so, how do you cope with the severe anxiety besides using ativan or xanax?

Posts: 28 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes anxiety can be caused by Lyme, especially chronic Lyme--I don't know one person who has chronic Lyme without some type of psychiatric component! And yes herxing can worsen it.

That's usually how you know what herxing is, from what I've learned. Your present symptoms get worse--it's the ones that pop up, that you didn't have before, that startle me the most, lol!

Zoloft is often one of the first (and best) drugs for anxiety disorders, and a good place to start if you want long-term control. Xanax is more for severe days (like maybe the days when you're herxing worse).

Also, bartonella can cause a lot of mental disturbance, from depression to anxiety to paranoia to anger. If you have a flare up/severe emotional outbursts every five or six days, this could point to bart.

Either way, sounds like you're killing something so keep at it! [Smile]

[ 09-10-2010, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: little_olive ]

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter has the same problem. So far either anxiety meds do not work or cannot tolerate.

Has Lyme and Bart. Anxiety is a horrible symptom.

Hope you feel better soon, Rifampin did help our daughter at one point.

Good luck

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLymie
Member # 27717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. Yes it is far one of my worst symptoms ...I dont really want to go on an antidepessant, cause I have been on many and have gained so much weight on them, and eventually make me think weird thoughts. Thoughts I would never think of. Lexapro I gained 25lbs in a year, zoloft gave me severe headaches, and effexor XR worked best for anxiety, but killer to get off of.
Posts: 28 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's a detox problem for me.

Specifically, a methylation problem. If I don't take my pro-methylation supplements before/during a herx the anxiety is unbelievable, and the overwhelming nature of it has brought me to the hospital.

Good luck. Feel better.

I still need Ativan/Xanax, etc, during a herx sometimes, but need much, much less of as long as my body is methylating and therefore detoxing.

This could also be related to kryptopyrroluria (KPU/HPU), and fixing KPU indirectly corrects methylation issues.

There are a few labs that can run methylation panels, but the panels are expensive. I never ran a panel. Just figured out it was an issue by experimenting. The KPU test is pretty cheap at $55.

I can't take antidepressants. I might as well take cocaine (that's how they feel when I take them).

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLymie
Member # 27717

kday, what is methylation supplements, and do you have to be tested to take these?? Do they really help alot. Do you have anxiety all the time??? How and where do I find these tests?
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have anxiety all the time.

They help me a lot though. You don't need to be tested to take them, but you should be under a doctors care as some can react with weird side effects (especially at the beginning). It's a somewhat popular CFS protocol.

Google "simple methylation protocol".

I take:
- B12
- P5P
- Folate
- Phosphatidylserine
- B-50 Complex

These may just look like simple vitamins, but if it's what you need, they can be very powerful with noticeable and obvious pharmacological effects.

I like very high doses of intramuscular B12 (10-25 mg), but many people with CFS can only tolerate 2 mg sublingual or so.

Sublinguals B12 doesn't work for me. Only injections do. It's probably best to start low dose sublingual and see how you respond. We are all different.

I get all my supplements from Vitamin Shoppe. I simply DON'T DETOX properly without this stuff.

Personally, I use all Solgar supplements. They have everything I need. Solgar has folate (not many companies have it since Merck has a licensing fee).

I am getting tested for KPU. If I am positive, it may be a better solution than using a methylation protocol. However, KPU treatment requires close doctor supervision and chelation when you go heavy metal toxic.

The methylation protocol can detox metals as well, but there is no need for chelation as it's more of a "natural" detox.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement