LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SSDI & Chronic Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SSDI & Chronic Lyme
Rivendell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that winning SSDI is basically made on ability to function, backed up with medical documentation, but here is my question:

Does SSA frown on the diagnosis of Chronic Lyme Disease when trying to get disability? With the CDC treating Chronic Lyme so badly, it is hard for me to believe that the SSA would even believe such a diagnosis.

I am currently in the middle of the SSDI disability process with the diagnosis of CFS, which the SSA will accept with certain documentation, but I know now that it is Chronic Lyme, for reasons I won't go into now.

I am treating it with herbs, but am considering going to a LLMD IF (this is a BIG "IF") I can work it out financially.

I am afraid this will totally blow my disability case for CFS, and I am in dire straits financially and need to win my disability case.

Thanks for your input.

This is such a good message board.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would concentrate on abilities and disabilities in your application and as well do not just list Lyme on the diagnosis section. Use things like FMS and CFS and stuff too even though many figure those are symptoms they are also diagnoses and I got approved on CFS and FMS alone prior to knowing I had lyme and I got it right off the bat first application.

DO though send them a good application and do not just fill out what they request but your own packet of information that is very well organized and include anything and everything you can that is important but not too much either.

Again though.. IF you concentrate on things like how long you can stand or sit or walk and if you need help getting dressed or taking a shower or how hard that is for you and also describe a typical day and week. I listed a lot of things that were basic daily life and daily self care problems and then wrote about how I felt and what I was able to do and not do.

Give a clear picture of what you health looks like. They have a blank slate and when you say fatigue they do not know if that is minimal or debilitating so use descriptive words.

That is my advice and I hope you have success with it. I think when the application is done well it is more easily approved.

I had also seen about 5 doctors besides my PCP and all had the same diagnosis and I did that prior to sending in my application. One PCP and one Rhuematolgogist and one Nuerologist and one Pain Doctor and even a Psychologist who documented my problems were medical and not emotional or depression but anything I had that was pschlogical was coming from stress of the health issues i Had.

Get as much back up as you can from doctors and include a report from each one.

Blessings
to you

Good Luck

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

I did as you said on my daily function report. My attorney hung onto my doctors office visit notes during the first two attempts to win my case and then submitted them for the trial phase.

If I weren't so fatigued and mentally compromised, I would get another attorney. but so few attorneys feel comfortable with CFS.

By "get a report from each doctor", do you mean a written report or the office notes, tests, etc.?

My doctor who is supporting my case, promised he would write a report. Now he says he doesn't have time and doesn't think the SSA will believe him. But he said he would fill out an RFC form. I found one on the internet specifically for CFS. It should be easy for him. Still, I was so blown away by his sudden change of heart. He had been so supportive.

I had a positive TTT for orthostatic hypotension with pre-syncope after about 8 minutes. I can't stand very long or sit upright without significantly elevating my legs. I know this will document the CFS. Just don't know how to document the fatigue medically.

The pain I control with glucosamine sulfate and MSM so I never consulted a rhuematologist or pain doctor.

My doctor is an endocrinologist. He treats me for hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, CFS, and autonomic dysfunction.

The cardiologists I've seen for the autonomic dysfunction/orthostatic hypotension just didn't give very good documentation in their notes. One was foreign and we were not understanding each other very well. Hard to do with brain fog. The other one laughed at me and told me that you can't get disability for Chronic Fatigue Syndrom. He then told me that orthostatic hypotension is not disabiling. Well it is if the medications for it don't help you and you can't stand for longer than about 5 to 10 minutes at a time and need to keep your legs propped up so high.

The psychologist the SSA sent me to thought I had been in a car accident because of poor mental functions and said the SSA would be testing me soon. But instead, the SSA stopped listing "poor concentration" on my denial letters as one of my disabiling conditions after they got his report. I guess they think if they deny my complaints, they can deny his report.

I told my attorneys office about this, and the legal assistant asked me if I was being treated for this condition. How do I get treated for "brain fog"?

It is such a mess.

Going to a doctor is absolutely exhausting to me. But I'm trying to figure out who else to go to get the documentation I need.

Somettimes I think I should just withdraw my application and reapply.

Anyway, thanks.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
organictexan
Member # 27653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for organictexan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told that a person seeking SSDI should hire a SSDI attorney. They take their money off the top of whatever your backpay is, they don't require any money up front. Much faster this route is what I've heard.
Posts: 15 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Write down the CFS for sure and use that. Put down every diagnosis you have been given no matter how trivial it may seem. Write down the hypotension the hypothyroid, everything. Your doctor usually has to fill out the paperwork showing your proof of disability. Most LLMD's are very used to this and do it all the time. If you need tips, email me. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement