LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » C Diff (without ABX)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: C Diff (without ABX)
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a natural way to kick C Diff?

I'm not sure if I have it... but I do have some swelling inflammation on left side of stomach.

I get bloating and occasional constipation.

I don't want to take flagyl (at least not at the moment)

So was wondering what the natural treatment for C Diff might be?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about this myself when I was diagnosed with it a few weeks ago.

I did a bunch of reading on the internet, and a few articles said that sometimes stopping the antibiotics you are on will resolve the situation. However, in more serious cases you need to take flagyl, or if that doesn't work, vancomycin.

You don't want it to get out of control, because it can kill you.

Some of the articles I saw suggested that Florastor and Culturelle be taken along with the flagyl or vancomycin. Apparently the Florastor crowds out the c. diff so that it doesn't have room to grow. So, if you're not already taking it, you might want to start.

If you think you have it, you should get tested.

Also keep in mind that it is very contagious--you need to be careful not to infect family members and others. Apparently, bleach is the only thing that kills it--I'm so tired of bleaching my bathroom!

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently ordered Sacchoromyces.. but not florastor.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some have used cholestyramine for C Diff
which persists despite usual Abx for that. Is not exactly natural but is not an antibiotic either.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Interesting.

Lymegoaway,

What were your most common symptoms with C Diff?

LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had alternating constipation and diarrhea, blood and mucous in my stools, pain and cramping in my lower intestines, a bad burning pain in my left side and dizziness. As it progressed I started getting pain and cramping radiating into my back. My heart rate was up, I was running a low grade fever at times and felt and looked just awful.

Today is my last day of a 20-day course of flagyl. I'm feeling better, but not sure if I'm cured yet--time will tell.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you have c diff without diarrhea

--------------------
1999 CFS, 2002 CMV Myco pneumonia
1 year antibiotics on and off
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to post on this but I saw this post.

I am in so much pain - just to the left of my belly button.

I have the runs like never before.

I just want to get to my brothers wedding and I need to find something for temporary relief.

I have Flagyl and Tindimax but I have heard that can make it worse. I was going to try tindi.

Any thoughts - I have taken a test that shows slight elevation but my doc didn't want to go for the big guns yet. He wanted to try natural but it doesn't seem to be working.

Can anyone help me get to my brothers wedding?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

I'v read that garlic can kick C Diffs butt
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Haley,

I noticed an improvement in symptoms within 24 hours of starting my initial 10-day course of flagyl. Don't know if tindamax will work--didn't see it listed as a drug of choice in any of my research.

Does your doctor know how bad the runs are?

Whatever you do, if it is c. diff don't take immodium or pepto or anything to stop it--that will keep the toxins that c. diff creates in your body and make you even sicker.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can get it without taking antibiotics, anything that disturbs your GI flora can cause it. You also do not need to have diarrhea to have it. You need 3 stool tests done within an hour to the lab.

If you are in severe pain, that is concerning and if you have a high fever and more than 10 stools/day you should probably go to the ER and get a CT scan of your abdomen to make sure your colon is ok.

Yes, do not take Immodium because it keeps the toxins inside you, damaging your colon.

You need either Flagyl or Vancomycin to treat c.diff effectively and you have to stay on it long enough to make sure it does not come back. C. diff has a very high (60% or more) relapse rate due to the spores that are formed. Usually when it relapses you do a taper down of the meds over 6-12 weeks sometimes longer.

The reason you want brand name Florastor is because it is tested for potency, it is the brand GI's use to study the c.diff cases with, other brands are not so you have no idea what kind of quality you are getting.

www.wildcondor.com/toughbug

If you want the natural treatment, here it is.
Link to natural treatment

http://www.askdrwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Fecal_bacteriotherapy

Try

www.cdiffdiscuss.org/phpBB3

forum/Discussion
is a good resource for all this info

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much. I'm really nervous about this. I got an appointment with my doc today 4:20.

The other problem is that I have a central line.

Florastar says not to tak eif there is a central line.

One other thing is that I have really high yeast. Doesn't Flagyl increase yeast? Ugh. I'm so con fused.

WC - In your opinion what has worked best between Vanco and Flagyl. I already have tingling in my legs and I know Flagyl will make that worse.

If anyone has tips I can run by my doc today.

Please advise.

Thanks

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

up
canefan17
Member # 22149

I'm not convinced that flagyl and vancomycin are the only ways to treat it.

How do we know more people haven't treated is successfully on accident with things like garlic, etc?

I get sick at the thought of taking antibiotics...

kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grapefruit Seed Extract, Garlic/Allicin, Colloidal Silver, Florastor, and VSL#3 inbetween.

The chemicals that are left over in the manufacturing process of Grapefruit Seed Extract may be more potent than Flagyl. They are toxic, but in my opinion, not nearly as toxic as Flagyl.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

In my experience Vanocmycin worked much better than Flagyl. If you have a mild case, you can try things like garlic sure, but be VERY careful. If the diarrhea and pain don't stop quickly with that you likely need the antibiotics. Once you get it really bad you will understand how scary it is. I wouldn't take Florastor then with the central line warning. If you have bad yeast you should probably stop all antibiotics and get something like a Diflucan until the yeast issue is resolved.
canefan17
Member # 22149

Ya no doubt Wild Condor.

I don't have diarrhea... so I'm not too worried about it yet.

Thanks for all the info though

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the package of florastor actually warn that you should not take it with a central line?

I remember reading a study (or two?) that it was associated with central line infections when the nurses mixed the powdered form at the patient's bedside. The lines were being contaminated by the fungi powder in the air and on the nurses hands. I wish I had saved the article.

Anyways, have there been any studies with the capsule version of Florastor and increase in central line or PICC infections?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks WC. Very helpful.

Yes Sammy. It does say it on the Florastar. I had seen articles online regarding this issue with all probiotics but when I saw it on the Florastor instructions, I really took note.

My doc told me to start Flagyl and he is doing another stool test. I will incorporate something for yeast.

Yesterday I was having a reeaalllly bad day. Today I'm feeling a bit more hopeful.

Thanks for the posts.

WildCondor
Unregistered

If any of you need to reach me in the future about C.diff please email me. I am not going to be on Lymenet anymore. Thanks! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement