LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Panic attacks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panic attacks
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a couple of these over the past 10 years. They are starting to come back with the Lyme. I swear I am dying and the fear is too much to bear. Could this be caused by the Acetyl L-Carnitine I am taking?

Although I hate to do it, I resorted to ativan today because I was in sheer terror. Anybody have this problem? How do you handle it?

I thought about the ER but assumed they would think it was all in my head.

[ 09-22-2010, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: fflutterby ]

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much magnesium are you taking?

The Lyme bacteria uses up the magnesium in our cells, and low magnesium causes many of the Lyme symptoms, including panic attacks.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am prob taking 750 mg CVS brand

--------------------

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you go on a mild SSRI like Lexapro? It's really helped me with my anxiety. Like night & day difference!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you keep breathing and try to slow it down, deep breaths. Repeat over and over: This will pass, I'm ok.

Acetyl L-Carnitine made me feel panicy and awful the one time I took it. Why don't you stop taking that?

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know all about anxiety but caution you about getting on ativan because it can take years to get off of it. Any drug is going to cover up the problem.

Try Calm Forte from the health food store. And check out Dr. Claire Week's books/CDs on how to deal with anxiety.

Panic/anxiety is coming form adrenals/kidneys. Either your kidneys need help eliminating or the adrenals are run down. Supporting the kidneys esp. if you are taking detox remedies is paramount. A good acupuncturist/nutritionist should be able to guide you thru this.

Another consideration is EMF. Do you use a cell phone? Do you live near a cell phone tower? Do you sleep with a clock radio by your bed? Are you plugged into doodads? Are you always on the phone? Is your house an EMF hazard? Satellite antennae?

Posts: 263 | From Annapolis, Md. | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles2go
Member # 20119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miles2go   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had terrible fear as well as anxiety (couldn't even watch "Lost" - too scarey - had to leave the room). After a blood test showed that my vitamin D levels were practically nonexistent (spirochettes eat your Vitamin D), a doctor gave me Vitamin D therapy. After that, my anxiety and fear were greatly reduced. When I was put on Minocycline which penetrates the blood/brain barrier, the fear just fell away from me and now I am free of fear as well as anxiety although I have other sporadic problems.
Posts: 75 | From Va. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your thyroid levels tested. This is way overlooked IMO. We KNOW Lyme effects the adrenal system. Your thyroid levels have a HUGE impact on anxiety. Controlling my thyroid levels made all anxiety disappear. Anxiety was totally new for me and I didn't know I had Lyme for a few months. This was extremely scary for me. Trust me. With Lyme treatment my thyroid levels have normalized and i have stopped all thyroid meds with no return of anxiety.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fflutterby:
I am prob taking 750 mg CVS brand

Look at the list of ingredients.
If it says magnesium oxide, then you need to get something else.

Magnesium oxide is more difficult for the intestines to absorb, but it is cheap, so manufacturers use it.

I'm using Source Naturals Ultra-Mag, which has magnesium citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate and succinate.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the body is out of balance...lyme or no lyme...all systems effect each other.

so whatever you take, it changes your balance or hte good or the bad..

Drugs, may be needed, but knoiw they are changing your balance while killing pathogens....creating other issues that will always effect another body system. Especially emotions and mental. As all stems from CNS.

Start to clear off the drugs with detox type protocols after abx, drugs have done all they can do...then work on natural type protocols to get your body to balance itself...that would be he goal.

Look at Dr. K's 5 levels of healing chart...and see all he areas that are connected that will fall into place when the priority is addressed...liked peeling the onion. ART testing can help identify the starting point, what to take, or do, and what level to work on first and for how long, until another thing needs addressing so your immune system gets back into control and your body functins likeone...not addressed individually by different md's. Your body is a whole body...body , mind, spirit, within the environment.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tessB
Member # 28360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tessB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my heart goes out to you, i have had this as well to a crippling degree.i am now taking celexa 20 mg/day and this has hepled tremendously! it has minimal side effects and has really taken the edge off. prior to being diagnosed with chronic lymes/co-inf i thought i was going crazy. i have taken xanax and valium to help with sleep and have recently switched to melatonin at night and am suprised how much it has helped. 30mg at bedtime. i also take a very high quality magnesium supplemet 4 x day, my provider has stressed how important this is.
i would rather not be taking celexa but a necessary evil, i would be institutionalized by now if not for this drug.i hope to be able to stop when things have "calmed down"
best wishes for health on your journey.
tessB

Posts: 1 | From asheville nc | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Thanks all, great info. It has stopped thank God. Haven't had one in 5 days. I tried Rescue Remedy and it helped some.

If this happens again, I will try to meditate, breath relax or last resort use my ativan.

lightparfait I do not like drugs. It took alot for me to take even an advil - "pre lyme". So I am trying my best to stay disciplined and use natural products whenever possible. I will look into the art testing for sure, when I get back to work $$ [Smile]

--------------------

kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this problem.

I take Ativan, etc. and grit my teeth.

In all honesty, a methylation protocol has helped me a lot with anxiety and tremendously with detox.

This is just a curious question, and it may have never been asked on LymeNet before, and it may not have any relevancy. However, has anyone else with this type of anxiety had negative reactions from epinephrine while at the dentist? Serious question.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kday, I thought I would jump out of my skin after a dentist (the kind that pulls teeth...gosh can't think of what they're called) gave me a shot of novacaine with epinephrine in it before removing a wisdom tooth. My heart started racing and I felt very weird. It was so frightening. The dentist was not very good about handling it, kind of a "get over it" attitude so when my heart stopped racing I left. Needless to say the tooth is still there. Since then I have requested that there be no epinephrine in novacaine during dental visits. The reaction I had was from the epinephrine, not from Lyme.

But anxiety attacks are a symptom of Lyme. Flutterby it is a good idea to take magnesium and get thyroid levels checked but I would not hesitate to use anything that can help, including things like ativan, valium, etc. Those meds are very good for stopping an anxiety attack in its tracks. If the anxiety takes on a full-time job in your body, lexapro is a good med for many but there are others out there as well.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AlanaSuzanne:
kday, I thought I would jump out of my skin after a dentist (the kind that pulls teeth...gosh can't think of what they're called) gave me a shot of novacaine with epinephrine in it before removing a wisdom tooth. My heart started racing and I felt very weird. It was so frightening. The dentist was not very good about handling it, kind of a "get over it" attitude so when my heart stopped racing I left. Needless to say the tooth is still there. Since then I have requested that there be no epinephrine in novacaine during dental visits. The reaction I had was from the epinephrine, not from Lyme.

But anxiety attacks are a symptom of Lyme. Flutterby it is a good idea to take magnesium and get thyroid levels checked but I would not hesitate to use anything that can help, including things like ativan, valium, etc. Those meds are very good for stopping an anxiety attack in its tracks. If the anxiety takes on a full-time job in your body, lexapro is a good med for many but there are others out there as well.

Of course it's a symptom of Lyme. I was just curious if those with this certain polymorphism are more susceptible to Lyme anxiety. A thought that ran through my head.
Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kday, all I know is that anxiety can be a Lyme symptom and that epinephrine in novacaine can cause extreme symptoms like I described....whether you have Lyme or not.

I don't know anything about polymorphism and haven't even heard of it til now. What is this?

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement