LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr Cheney, CFS, and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr Cheney, CFS, and Lyme
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More at this link:

http://www.cfscentral.com/2010/09/dr-paul-cheneys-poster-presentation.html

Forty-five of the 47 patients--a whopping
96 percent--registered cardiac diastolic dysfunction, the left
ventricular abnormality Cheney has been reporting on for several
years. In his poster, Cheney wrote that this heart problem is linked
to ``cellular energy deficiency,'' which predisposes patients to
orthostatic intolerance that's extraordinarily common in CFS patients.
Common overlapping health problems in his study patients were chronic
Lyme disease (31 percent), mold illness (26 percent), Multiple Chemical
Sensitivities (43 percent) fibromyalgia (63 percent), irritable bowel
syndrome (IBS) and inhalant allergies (71 percent).

Interestingly, only 8 percent of CFS
patients with overlapping chronic Lyme and only 8 percent of patients
with overlapping mold illness tested positive for XMRV--closer to the
background rate of the positive XMRV studies.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note, only 8% of CFS patients with chronic Lyme tested positive for XMRV!

Perhaps these "chronic Lyme" cases are not Lyme at all but CFS. And it appears, based on these statistics, that most XMRV infections are just that: XMRV and NOT Lyme.

(Unless the XMRV test results are false.)

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This report is inaccurate. I have contacted Mindy myself to try to get her to edit her blog, but she has yet to respond.

The 31% overlapping lyme cases meant that 31% of XMRV+ patients ALSO had chronic lyme, not 31% of all 47 patients had chronic lyme;
The 26% overlapping mold cases meant that 26% of XMRV+ patients ALSO had mold illness; not 26% of all 47 patients had mold illness;
so on and so forth.

31% of 35=11 lyme patients with XMRV
+
1 lyme patient without XMRV
=
12 lyme patients total (which matches the 26% chronic lyme percentage he reported on one of his slides).

So the percentage calculations were indeed correct, the reporting was just inaccurate.

Obviously this changes one of the takeaways from her report from "most chronic lyme patients do not have XMRV" to "11 out of 12 lyme patients DO have XMRV and the one patient that didn't test for XMRV could have a false negative."

And obviously this means Dr. Cheney's findings don't conflict with his earlier statement that chronic lyme CANNOT exist independently of GRV (aka XMRV)

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mojoey I haven't read all the details of the study but are these patients that Dr.Cheney himself has determined have lyme problems?

I'm not so sure that Cheney would read a western blot like a true LLMD would. In other words I think Cheney has down played the prevalance of patience with CFS that have lyme also.

Just speculation on my part and I know you keep up with Cheney's work more then I do. I do know he has gone on record that the symptoms of CFS and Lyme are identical.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so. In fact, Cheney shows a surprisingly balanced view of lyme testing. I'm pretty sure he uses western blot.
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody try Cheney's Artesunate therapy? Seems to be attracting some attention.
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew a guy a year or two ago who moved from my area to NC and went to see Cheney. This guy had decided he didn't really have Lyme because he wasn't making progress after several months of treatment.

Cheney was not Lyme Literate at the time, or even Lyme friendly. Perhaps he has changed.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Change is synonymous with Cheney. He is close with Dr. B, so that may be where gets most of his lyme info.

Many in the CFS community argue that his being quick to change his views/protocol is a negative, and certainly from a financial perspective it may be for patients that are invested in his recommended supplements, but in the long run I think it bodes well for patients to have a physician/researcher with such an elastic paradigm of our illness.

Not only is he now keen on lyme, but is big on mold, toxins (VOCs), etc, and combines a antipathogenic approach (he has used AVs, ABx, ampligen, artesunate, ARVs) with terrain therapy (changing redox state with stem cells, cell-signaling factors and artesunate) like no other physician in the field.

kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I haven't been tested for XMRV, my extensive CFIDS/ME testing and symptoms are very consistent. XMRV isn't covered by insurance yet, so I'll wait on that one. All other testing (including the bike VO2 test) was covered.

In my case, I think the tremendous amount of physical and mental stress initiated by the onset of the Lyme infection (the worst stress I have ever experienced in my life) triggered CFIDS/ME.

It just makes sense.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted some info about "The Brucellosis Triangle" about a week ago.

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/activism/brucellosis-scott.html

Perhaps, many of us are infected with this pathogen & it lays dormant until we undergo some stress (like a virus, tick bite, etc.) where it is triggered...?

I think it's good that Dr. C is flexible with his treatment. No one seems to really know the answer with these illnesses that we have. Until a cure is found - the doctors have to keep an open mind & try different things.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement