LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » gluten free bakery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gluten free bakery
hopeforhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeforhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been eating gluten free for some time, because gluten free bread and other g-free products usually taste so bad I basically just ate veggies, fruit, protein etc. I recently found a g-free bakery and the buns, bread muffins etc are really good. Is this food o.k to eat? I know people with Lyme avoid potatoes and other starchy foods even if they are gluten free. Should I avoid this food too? I am so board of my diet and am desperate for sandwich, pizza etc

Thanks everyone

Posts: 199 | From Niagara Falls | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hope: I am celiac and ordered from a bakery out of Florida and as it turns out, when I got the products they said may contain traces... Well, needless to say, still in the freezer. I would say, if it is truly from a gluten free facility-- you are good to go. I just wouldn't go heavy on carbs. I hope this helps!
Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast can sneak up on you very quickly, so eat carbs in moderation. Eat them SPARINGLY.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
" . . . g-free bakery and the buns, bread muffins etc are really good. Is this food o.k to eat?"

Sorry, but these are basically pure sugar by the time they get into your stomach. Read up on the Glycemic Index. We need food that is whole, complex so it does not shoot our blood sugar to sky high and then drop us like a rock.

Go for whole grains, non-gluten are, in moderation but with mostly vegetables of all colors:

Quinoa, Red Quinoa, Amaranth, Millet, Black Rice, Red Rice, Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Buckwheat (not wheat, get the buckwheat "Groats"). Some do okay with oatmeal. Get the kind that takes at least 5 minutes to cook.

Stevia can be used to sweeten. SweetLeaf and Trader Joe's are two good brands.

Dark berries can be added. Cranberries, too. All unsweetened, of course.

Nuts of any kind will help add key nutrients, protein and good fats.

Once in a while pasta - Trader Joe's has a gluten free brown rice PENNE. Look at other stores for TINKYADA brand of gluten-free pasta - but load on the vegetables and keep the pasta to a minimum. Even a little is enjoyable and gives you something to put tomato or pesto sauce on (instead of pizza).

If you have to avoid nightshades, though, stick with the basil pesto rather than tomato sauce.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I hope some of the links below will help you get excited about all flavors from garden herbs and spices from around the world.

Saut� an onion and you're on the road to being a gourmet chef. Add garlic and magic happens. Drop in some ginger and you've got a basic mix for any vegetable and whole grain combo.

Switch up with curry, chili powder or even just turmeric and cumin for flavor that satisfies for hours.

==========================

www.christinacooks.com

CHRISTINA COOKS - Natural health advocate/ chef, Christina Pirello offers her comprehensive guide to living the well life.

Vegan, with a Mediterranean flair. Organic.

She was dx with terminal leukemia in her mid-twenties. Doctors said there was nothing more they could do. Among other things, she learned about complementary medicine and she learned how to cook whole foods. She recovered her health and is now a chef and professor of culinary arts.

She has program on the PBS network "Create" a couple times week. Check your PBS schedule.

To adapt: in the rare dishes where she uses wheat flour, it can just be left out for a fruit medley, etc. Brown Rice Pasta can be substituted (Tinkyada or Trader Joe's). Quinoa and the dark rices can also be used.

But she focuses mostly on very filling vegetable dishes and garden herbs.

Regarding her use of brown rice syrup, just leave it out and add a touch of stevia at the end.

==================

www.rickbayless.com

Rick Bayless is a very good chef for MEXICAN meals that are healthy. These are heavy on vegetables.

====================

http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/

Spoonful of Ginger site

Books: http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/pages/books.php

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER (1999)

From Nina Simonds, the best-selling authority on Asian cooking, comes a ground-breaking cookbook based on the Asian philosophy of food as health-giving. The 200 delectable recipes she offers you not only taste superb but also have specific healing . . . .

. . . With an emphasis on the health-giving properties of herbs and spices, this book gives the latest scientific research as well as references to their tonic properties according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional Indian philosophy of medicine. . . .

You can find this at Amazon, too.

=========================

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN, by Sherry A. Rogers M.D., is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases . . .

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-4293-from-curries-to-kebabs.aspx

FROM CURRIES TO KEBABS - RECIPES FROM THE INDIAN SPICE TRAIL - by: Jaffrey, Madhur

She also has a newer cookbook about simple Indian dishes.

Also look for MOOSEWOOD Cookbooks and THE ENCHANTED BROCCOLI FOREST

MEDITERRANEAN DIET (minus the wheat and the wine) is also good. It's many vegetable based, with delicious herbs in the meat dishes. Quinoa, dark rices - and unsweetened pomegranate juice can be substituted.

===================

www.LotusFoods.com

Look up Black Forbidden Chinese Rice & the Red Bhutanese Rice. The nutritional content is excellent and these will help fill and fortify you, even in moderation, along with lots of vegetables.

-------------------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_og_wild_wehani.aspx

Wehani & Wild Rice (Organic)

-----------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_nf_japonica.aspx

Black Japonica

---------
http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

Quinoa Recipes

----------
http://www.quinoa.net/4600.html

Red Quinoa Recipes
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manderson7185
Member # 27787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manderson7185     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,
Does this mean brown rice flour is okay?

I have been eating GF since January and have first appointment with LLMD tomorrow where I have a bunch of questions about the diet. I did already stock up on a low GI cookbook and a guide book of GI values in various foods.

--------------------
June 2009: Lyme IGM 23 and 39 positive, Titer 1.12.
September 2010: Rediagnosed with Lyme as well as Babesia coinfection.

Posts: 27 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not really. It's just too high on the glycemic index.

I had to forget all baked goods. They really aren't good for anyone. But I kept thinking with lots of nuts some sort of cookie could happen. But, then, why not just nuts, themselves? That works.

I have some concerns with some of the GI cookbooks that try to make baked good higher glycemic index. Now, IF they use BEAN flours, that can work but, still food in the WHOLE form is always best.

For a treat now and then, the brown rice pasta is okay, only in small amounts with LOTS of vegetables, protein and fat to balance but that would be like once every couple weeks. And not at all if candida is a problem.

Get to know food in the original forms. You can get all the flavor you want, really. Baked goods are not good for anyone.

Yet, (shhhhh), I might add that - for a special occasion and with all other foods to balance it out, Van's waffles, their Gluten-Free ones an ONLY the buckwheat or the Flax -- are not too high on the GI.

1/4 tsp of pure maple syrup with 1 tsp walnut oil can be a topping - or dark berries - or just a good nut oil.

For two of those, they are 5 - 6 grams of sugar. You never want to go over that, even as part of a complete meal. And, again, if candida is an issue, still stick to only small amounts of whole grains.

Vegetables will be the major portion of all your meals, even breakfast. This is a good thing. Really.

Lyme, or candida, never take a day off. They don't know it's a holiday so we have to be vigilant all the time. One problem I found when a friend surprised me and brought over Van's waffles after doing careful research and thinking I could eat them, is that I am a sweets addict. I think everyone is. It's just easier to avoid all processed foods.

I can stop eating whole grains at the appropriate portion. I can't do that with one waffle, even at its best. So, they just have to stay out of my freezer.

Dr. B says avoid all flours. This is because, even if some GI cookbook - or I - tell you some tricks to try to make it work better - it's still too processed and our bodies need WHOLE foods that take longer to digest and carry us through.

I don't mean to preach. I consume to much protein powder when too tired to cook. Thinking ahead is essential to not get caught.

Also, pretend it's a game and you are on an island or live in a time before grocery stores were even around. You'd eat whole foods. While the Paleo (cave man) diet goes too far for me with raw meats, the idea of eating close to the earth is a good idea for everyone.

Lyme patients are far more susceptible to developing diabetes. Fooling around with flour will further increase that risk.

And, that said, NUT flour can be used but, again, that is usually to make sweets.

We can get plenty of sweet with dark berries, tart apples, STEVIA, and just real food. The sweetness of carrots, celery and cucumbers is amazing.

A cup of Chai Green Tea with a dash of stevia works very well.

If I feel deprived, I just take a look around the world and feel very fortunate that I have so many choices for good foods. And I thank the farm workers to plant, tend, harvest, clean, pack and deliver it all to me. It helps to rethink food and put that all in perspective.

We would do very well as a nation to gut all grocery stores and start over as farmers' markets.
-

LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almond flour and stevia have been my salvation.

I am on a low carb and gluten free diet. It is extremely difficult to find any products that fit both, and have no sugar nor artificial sweeteners. There is a soda called Zevia that has stevia and I believe xylitol(?), but I am not aware of any other processed foods (that I have found in the US) that are parly or entirely sweetened with stevia.

I also am not sure about the chance for cross contamination in commercial almond flour, although one company that I know of makes a fine white flour out of blanched almonds. You can probably use some kind of food processor or grinder to make your own from organic almonds, though, which can be cheaper than buying the flour. I am not sure what kind of grinder is most useful for this.

Using almond flour, and stevia where needed, I have made biscuits, pizza dough, chocolate cake (great with fresh strawberries on top) and pancakes (syrup from frozen berries and stevia). Soy flour is similar on the Glycemic index, and cheap, though not very tasty and I don't want to eat soy. I have seen pasta made of black beans but haven't tried it.

Bottom line, you probably have to make your own, or find somebody to specially make it for you. I believe Whole Foods has a completely separate gluten free kitchen that makes their gluten free products and then ships them to different stores, usually to the freezer section. Hopefully they would be free of cross contamination. I haven't tried them to know if they are good, and if they are baked goods, they are probably off limits because of the carbs and sugar.

If anybody knows of any low carb AND gluten free food products, I would be glad to find out about them. Most things can be acquired online if they are not sold in your local area.

The one thing I have decided is that cheating on carbs causes me immediate but short term problems (candida flare, carb cravings to resist and bloating, for a few), and cheating on gluten at all will cause me less noticeable and longer term problems with absorption of nutrients, so if I am going to cheat on my diet, I should do it with gluten free donuts and cookies, etc., not regular ones. I am trying to learn how to live without cheating on my diet at all, but haven't mastered it yet. It would also be better to cheat with whole grains than refined ones.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Two words that I do better without: diet; cheating.

Food plan or nutrition plan works best for me as I dieted my whole life and it was miserable. Using the term "diet" can be Russian Roulette. Same with cheating (other than in matters of person affairs, of course, where the word does not come close to the situation yet where the lines are very clear - unlike with our lunch menu). We are grown ups. Some times we maintain balance, sometimes we don't.

Most times I do well ; other times, I may not do as well staying on my nutrition plan. The way it's phrased can help with longevity and self-respect.

And, after years of this just being "the way I eat" I can sometimes see or hear the word diet and think "oh, that's just the template one follows for their food plan." Sometimes. But, obviously, that word is still a trigger word at times or I'd not have taken off with this post, eh?

Limiting access to groceries and restaurant also helps. I am not so tempted by impulse.

I am home-bound and have food delivered 2 x a month. So, regardless of the wishful thinking when I fill out a list, in editing and with budget concerns, it comes down to the basics by the time the list is complete.

It's like living out in the wilderness (but with all the noise of the city). What I order has to last as there are no errand runs; thinking ahead for the best in nutrition - and intense flavor - is the only way that works.

Many stores now offer delivery. If that helps cut down feeling left out by not buying what others in the store grab - or it reduces the impulse purchases - it's a great tool.

Some farmers' markets (or similar groups) also deliver.
-

[ 09-22-2010, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

manderson7185
Member # 27787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manderson7185     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I ask what the symptoms are of candida?

And thank you Keebler - You have a wealth of knowledge in this department that is extremely helpful to anyone like me about to start a low GI diet.

--------------------
June 2009: Lyme IGM 23 and 39 positive, Titer 1.12.
September 2010: Rediagnosed with Lyme as well as Babesia coinfection.

Posts: 27 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

I just found the above blog with gluten free, low carb recipes for our favorite junk food and desserts. This makes me happy.

I also came across a recipe somewhere yesterday for deep dish pizza with crust made out of grated cheese, cream cheese and eggs. I haven't tried it yet.

I love the idea that if I can find appealing versions of my favorite, um, out of alignment foods (you're right, Keebler, we shouldn't say "cheat" and "diet"), the kind that other people are jealous of and wish they could eat too, then I could eat them whenever I want without feeling guilty at all.

My goal is to find recipes I could take to the family Thanksgiving, and everybody would eat them, get seconds, and ask for the recipe, without thinking it was "some weird diet food." (This worked successfully with the almond biscuits.)

--------------------

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

I believe erythritol and xylitol are acceptable sweeteners for us, along with stevia. It seems they are useful in sweet baked goods.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While I do toss out the word "diet" and "cheat" I do not mean to imply tossing all caution to the wind. Strict commitment to a nutrition plan is still important. I just don't call it a diet or cheating if the boundaries get a bit fuzzy once in a while.

There are still things that are just never on my food plan. It's not that I can't eat them but I know I won't get better if I do so they are just off my radar. Since finding other ways to get the flavor, though, I crave nothing. I do not fee deprived. I just eat differently than I used to - or from some others - but it's not a diet.

Yes, it's disciple but I also changed that word around to sound to me like "get a PLAN" - to get me where I want to go.

Those sites that seem to offer "safe" foods may not be so safe. They often offer junk food reinventions that are still junk food. It is important to develop a new mentality, a new relationship with food.

Also of concern: Lyme greatly affects the heart. Cream cheese is not a health food, not at all. Neither is any cheese in the amounts that some of the sites suggest.

Tofu can be substituted for cream cheese (for those who can eat soy). Non-fat Greek Yogurt can be substituted for cream cheese just before serving.

But, rather than that key lime pie picture at that link, eating an apple would be best for any body. If lime sounds good, get a real lime, and make limeade with stevia. It's very easy.

I've not considered putting lime juice on an apple but I'm thinking that might be worth a try as lemon juice is added to baked apples.

You can whip tofu with lime juice (but beware that the silken tofu may contain gluten). And, for many soy can create problems, so if you do consume it and do okay, keep it in moderation. Sometime, it's a good idea to read up on soy. There are valid points on both "sides" of the soy controversy.

You can stir lime juice into yogurt. Yogurt seems to be tolerated in many who can't "do" dairy but if it creates phlegm, try another brand or just go for limeade instead.

Just as many LLMDs suggest patients be gluten-free, they also suggest being dairy free. There are some decent soy cheeses on the market, but, ooops, soy is also something that can cause lyme patients to not progress very well.

But, don't despair. Ask what you are looking for in food. It's usually flavor. Hopefully, from food and not chemicals. So, there are ways to get all the flavor you want.

You can get all the flavors of deep dish pizza without bread or even bread substitutes. It can be done with vegetables, onion, garlic, seasonings. Really. I no longer try to bargain with the devil because with the seasonings, garden herbs and vegetables, I can get the FLAVORS, with every richer taste, in real foods that are not going to clog my heart or create diabetes.

Same with baked goods (or not-so-goods). They can really set us up. A little sweetness can be added to just about any non-gluten whole grain. You get much better nutrition in the whole form of any food.

erythritol and xylitol are decent - but in small amounts. Too much will cause lower GI cramping and loose bowels, so just be careful not to overdo it.

SweetLeaf Stevia liquid has many flavors, check that out.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I seem to have lost my copy but I distinctly recall reading in this book that lyme can "gum up" the immune system.

For anyone with an ear problems, milk is off limits because it produces phlegm and that phlegm harbors bacteria and viruses.

You can read customer reviews at Amazon but you'd have to obtain it elsewhere. Your local bookstore may have it or order it for you - and it should be in the library system.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Drink-Your-Milk-Frightening/dp/0945383347

DON'T DRINK YOUR MILK!: New Frightening Medical Facts about the World's Most Overrated Nutrient

-by Frank Oski, M.D. (1992)

The author . . . the former physician-in-chief of John Hopkins Children's Center and Professor and Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at John Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Excerpts from one review:

. . . Among physicians, so much concern has been voiced about the potential hazards of cow milk that the Committee on Nutrition of the prestigious American Academy of Pediatrics, the institutional voice of practicing pediatricians, released a report entitled, "Should Milk Drinking by Children Be Discouraged?"

Although the Academy's answer to this question has (as of this writing) been a qualified "maybe," the fact that the question was raised at all is testimony to the growing concern about this product, which for so long was viewed as sacred as the proverbial goodness of mother and apple pie.

Does drinking milk help prevent osteoporosis because of the calcium it contains? Chapter 6 deals with that topic.

Strange as it may sound, both Africans and African-Americans consume less calcium and milk, and yet have greater bone density and less osteoporosis than Caucasians in America. While Americans get 807 mg. of calcium each day from drinking milk, the average citizen of Ghana gets but 8 mg.

As Dr. Oski points out, this low amount has made them "neither toothless nor lying about immobilized because of repeated bone fractures" (p. 50). . . .
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement