LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biaxin?? Lyme/Bart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biaxin?? Lyme/Bart
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading past posts on here about Biaxin.

I thought our daughter's LLMD was adding in something to retreat her Bart.

But it looks like this is used for Lyme. She is already taking Mino and will be adding Biaxin.

So is this for Lyme or bart or both?

Also anything I should be aware of with the Biaxin? I hope it does not flare the anxiety. [Frown]

Thanks for any input.

I am hoping it will get rid of the air hunger. Explained to Dr's office about air hunger and told to do breathing exercises.

So I guess he does not feel the air hunger is Babs.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That combo goes after Bart,and Lyme.we know that out thereare more than 300 tipes of bart and same other coinfections to.But as with everything we dont know what will work best,so we usually end up traying other combos to, like Levaquin(rifampin) with doxy(or rocephin)Gentamycin or amikacin with Doxy (rocephin) and flagyl in diferent combinations.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane,

DD was put on Biaxin when we first started treating over a year ago, prior to having an LLMD and prior to us knowing anything about Bart being a possibility. So, in our case, it was being used for the Lyme. I've since heard good things about it for Lyme and Bart--not sure about Babs.

Unfortunately, my DD couldn't stay on it for longer than a few days due to the metallic taste it left in her mouth (she can't swallow pills so had to take it mixed into applesauce). She also had horrid nightmares, which is one of the side effects. At the time she wasn't sleeping well at all due to the Lyme and pain, etc., so we couldn't risk her having nightmares when she finally did manage to go to sleep. I've read since though too that if you manage to stay on Biaxin for awhile the metallic taste diminishes, and I haven't heard many others complaining about nightmares on it, so I wouldn't worry about it--was just my DD's experience during a very stressful and frightening time (when we didn't know what was going on and no one believing her,etc. She discontinued it back then and hasn't tried it since......

Good luck with it. I hope your DD finds relief soon.

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not an answer to the original post but...

I had terrible nightmares while on Biaxin. I had to take Ativan every night just so I could sleep without them. Some of them were very scary.

My llmd even said that she never had a patient complain of nightmares. I definitely think it was the Biaxin as I stopped the med and the immediately went away. Now on Zith, Plaquenil, Rifampin and Mino and haven't had one since.

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else good or bad?

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just throwing it out there, but Lyme and Bart can both cause terrible nightmares as well. Tough to determine whether the nightmares were in fact a side effect of Biaxin, a kind of herx, or the bugs fighting back.

Personally I've had bad nightmares which I attribute to Lyme or Bart. I haven't had more than I usually would have on Biaxin.

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes; however, with my child, she never had nightmares before or since the Biaxin (other than the occasional bad dream that we all may get)--her nightmares came with the start of Biaxin and ended with its stopping.............just her experience though!
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks for the input.

So far 9 days and no nightmares.

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin gave me total insomnia and total anorexia, plus some anxiety.

By the third day, I could not sleep a wink and could not bring myself to eat even one spoonful of food in a day.

So, I had to go off of it. Doc said the Biaxin was causing this. It took about 3 days of being off of it for these side effects to totally go away.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline has some action against bart. Bart attacks intercellular lyme and also has a slight effect against bart. It is a macrolide which is usually used with Rifampin for bart, or Bactrim DS. Other macrolide choices are zithromax, roxithromycin or ketek. Ketek is very effective against lyme but it can cause liver damage so your liver needs to be carefully monitored. I have read ketek may '"drive bart out", whatever that means.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had bad hallucinations on biaxin. i think it's from the dieoff.

i saw bugs and crawling ceilings. scary stuff.

but it reallyw orked on most of my symptoms and i was taking it by itself.

i'd do anything to go back on it but i'm afraid.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin has been a life saver for me BUT I have to split my doses or it causes really bad anxiety.

500mg.'s at breakfast and 500mg.'s with lunch. I never take it close to bedtime or I will never sleep.

After about 2 or 3 weeks of being on it the axiety went away and never came back, but I still split my doses.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks for the additional replies.

Not sure if daughter is herxing...

She had two days right after starting Biaxin that the air hunger was better, then it came back and not feeling well again. She has been on one tab. so far twelve days.

jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin works well for me, but I have always taken one in the morning and one at night.

Is your daughter only supposed to take one or are you going slow?

It is hard enough to decide if something is a herx when it is yourself, much less deciding for someone else.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, minocycline is not a macrolide. It is in the tratracycline family of drugs. Macrolides are the following: erythromycin, zith, biaxin and ketek. The tetracyclines and macrolides target intracellular bacteria.
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks Jkmom and Kimmie.

Have not added in additional tablet of Biaxin yet, but increased Mino.

This week two weeks into Biaxin, she is getting more headaches, feels flushed at times, feverish( no fever) then feels weak. Does this sound like she is herxing?

Thanks

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement