LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How did you cure your tinnitus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How did you cure your tinnitus?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So..mild tinnitus is one of my few remaining symptoms. I never had it pre lyme. Mine is not caused by drugs as I had it before tx.

I know there is a tinnitus thread.

Just wondering how people who have beaten tinnitus did it? What was the protocol?

Mine is very mild, although it can get slightly louder occasionally. I can live with it, but am concerned to stop treatment until it is gone.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing I have noticed about mine. My tinnitus gets louder if I yawn or turn my head to the extreme ends of rotation. Could this mean it is musculoskeletal?

I never had it until early March. I started feeling unwell in Feb and was told it was "stress." I went to a Chiropractor for a "stress relief" and he adjusted my back, neck and jaw (I had injured it 15 years prior and the chiro said it was out.) The following week my ears began to ring. My jaw was still very very sore.

I know TMJ can cause tinnitus. I actually got a TMJ splint prior to my lyme dx (another dead end.)

Today..my jaw is much much better. Not where it was, but almost. But the (Now much milder) tinnitus remains. I usually can't hear it...but it is there. One thing I have learned is I will never get my jaw adjusted again! It opens pandora's box!

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As you are fairly new to lyme, it may take a while for this to subside. For most, when the infection has been completely addressed, the tinnitus subsides.

LIVER SUPPORT while treating lyme is very important to the ears.

Be sure to use a cell phone only when necessary and a land line phone for most of your calls.

Avoid in-the-ear pods - and if you used closed headphones, keep the very low in volume. Best to avoid any headphones but, if out in traffic and around noise, you need hearing protection and having soft levels of music can help in other ways.

* See a neurotologist (neuro-otogist), one who is LL is best. There can be dozens of causes of tinnitus.

You might consider "masking" - training for about a year with ear plugs that emit certain tones that are incrementally adjusted so that your brain can "grow" to cancel out the tinnitus - if all other considerations have been addressed.

A neurotologist will be able to help you figure out if it is from your ears or from your brain - if ear damage, inflammation, particular stress on a cranial nerve, etc.

An audiologist can check you for other things.

Be sure to be assessed for diabetes, too.

Ototoxic drugs can cause this - even aspirin. But, also to consider: infections must be treated. So, when the only choice is to use ototoxic drugs, liver and kidney support is vital, as is avoiding all adjunct drugs that are ototoxic (aceteminophen, ibuoprofen, most sleeping meds and many pain meds).

The over all toxic level of the body affects the ears.

But, so does sound. When on ototoxic drugs such as zithromax, and most antibiotics, the ears are MUCH more susceptible to damage even at lower decibel levels than usual.

Even when around a hair dryer or blender, or vacuum, etc. hearing protection can protect from damage.

Damage from concerts 20 years ago can show up today - at tinnitus, etc.

Scented products and consuming liquids or foods from plastic container (or plastic lined cans) can cause tinnitus as they are endocrine disruptors. Adrenal stress, as well, causes tinnitus.

==================================

www.ata.org

AMERICAN TINNITUS ASSOCIATION

===================================

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles.htm#ototoxic_drugs

Drugs That Can Damage Your Ears (Ototoxic Drugs)

--------------------

This book goes into far greater detail:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971094314/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

BOOK: Ototoxic Drugs Exposed: Prescription Drugs and Other Chemicals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears

By Neil G. Bauman

===================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

========================

Acupuncture has been helpful. For me, the herb andrographis has helped the most but I'm still a long way from better with my ears (or regarding lyme + co.).

Also see the BODY WORK links in the last post here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), acupuncturist, etc.

Includes how to find an ILADS-educated LL ND, an Acupuncturist, a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, etc.

Includes many articles and books on complementary / integrative methods - & RIFE links.

===============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/98093#000008

ADRENAL THREAD

=============================

As many sleep and pain meds are toxic and hard on the liver and kidneys, here are some suggestions for sleep support that can safely nourish & calm the body:
---------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
MAGNESIUM deserves it's very own place, at the head of the table.

You may need a higher level or different kind of magnesium. I need around 1,000 mg a day. Sometimes up to 2,000. Ease up to bowel tolerance and then back down. Calcium, too, needs to be in balance.

B-12, B-6 and Folic Acid are also "required" to help tinnitus. Methyl B-12 shots may be best. See Burrascano's Nutritional Guidelines for detail. In the links at the ND thread.

Thanks to Carol in PA for all these links:
---------------

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

==============================

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Ultra-Mag-120-Tablets/1415?at=0

Source Naturals Ultra-Mag

--------
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=peter%20gillhams%20natural%20calm

Natural Calm
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Have you been assessed for other tick-borne infections?

In addition to the usual coinfections from ticks (such as babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, RMSF, etc.), there are some other chronic stealth infections that an excellent LLMD should know about:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069911#000000

TIMACA #6911 posted 03 August, 2008

I would encourage EVERY person who has received a lyme diagnosis to get the following tests.

- at link.
-

Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BCB1200
I have tinnitus just like yours. Developed before Tx and treatment. After 2 1/2 years of treatment, it remains. Mine also gets louder when I turn my head, yawn. I hope one morning we can wake up and it will be gone - wouldn't that be great?
Meanwhile, my LLMD says a good chiropractor could be the answer. Maybe your tinnitus right after an adjustment was purly coincidental, since most Lyme people have tinnitus?
I'm going from one chiropractor to another...

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice after treating with a PEMF machine that tinnitus decreases greatly for about six hours.

PEMF means pulsed electro-magnetic frequency machine - it puts out audible clicks as we hold a white coil next to us.

One Lyme doctor said it probably relaxes the nerves to the ears.

The one I tried was called a Magnapulse - about 500-700 gauss strength - there's lots of them available for sale, and medical professionals like chiropractors are probably most likely to have them.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is just damage to the inner ear and permanent for me. My son also has it and he never had lyme. We like white noise, like a fan, to cover it up. I think of losing part of my hearing as being like needing glasses, frustrating but not uncommon.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet oil, heat, B12IM, liquid Mag., etc. etc. It seems to be gone.

But still get the occasion itch/fullness/and the sweet oil takes it away quick.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinelady, what's Sweet Oil? A Chinese oil?

Tinnitus has MANY causes. If it's from hearing loss, it's permanent damage. But it can also be from cranial misalignment (CranioSacral Therapy helps here) or neck misalignment (osteopathic, chiropractic, etc. treatment helps). But be careful of too many force adjustments; they damage the ligaments.

My tinnitus is permanent,unfortunately, from hearing loss, head trauma, and ototoxic meds (Zithromax, esp).

Posts: 3770 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If accompanied by hearing loss, and especially if it came on suddenly, it is usually due to viruses.
Measles and mumps are 2 common viruses that destroy hearing.
I'm still investigating mine. Had NO help from the ENT's I saw, who had no clue.
Mine started in one ear (with sudden loud tinnitus), then the hearing in that ear improved. Then the hearing in the other ear went down.
Hearing seems to fluctuate, even lost it completely one night during a bad spell of what felt like some type of virus.
Tinnitus gets quieter during low pressure (rain, storm) and sometimes immediately after a migraine.
Not sure what this means.
I was told if the tinnitus is in one ear only, must have MRI for tumor.

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumigirl you can get a lg. bottle at wally world for a couple bucks.

Not sure what its made of---might call the co.

But sweet almond oil is the old time meaning from wayyy back.

It is supposed to be highly acidic so that may be why it helps.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting........never heard of sweet oil.
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme symptoms have lessened to the point of having had no abx for many years now, however, my tinnitus, even though much less, has persisted.

I believe it is one symptom I may have with me forever, but it does not bother me much anymore.

A white noise machine helps a lot when you're trying to get to sleep.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warmed sweet oil was what parents used to put in our ears in the 50's when you had an earache. I thought everybody had a bottle. LOL Funny.

I pray the tinnitus goes away some day. That's the one symptom that nothing has ever helped in me. I take the right vitamins; the antibiotics have me (I think, finally) close to remission.

The ringing in my ears is so loud now that you've mentioned it! Ha! Sometimes I can almost forget it.

Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you buy a white noise machine, keep the receipt. Some with inner ear disorders can't handle them. Some can. The same goes for Pink noise -- and it's not always the "noise" but also the vibration of the motor that was unbearable for me.

I also tried 3 different "sound" machines. Same thing. The motor in each one was so vibrational it made me vomit.
-

dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would still like to hear from someone who has beat tinnitus or at least made it less!
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhillyLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhillyLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 324 | From Philly | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhillyLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhillyLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 324 | From Philly | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll repeat what I said earlier - I had six hours of silence each time after treating with a PEMF electromagnetic machine, 500-700 gauss strength.

It's simple - we hold a white coil as the machine clicks em impulses. If you could find a health practitioner with one, you could try the experiment.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I "beat" it by eliminating any foods that I noticed ever triggered a worsening of the ringing, like alcohol (Duh!) and chocolate.

I then embarked upon hearty daily exercising outside, such as when I'd cut & split a 1/4 cord of red oak in 1 day.
I also took a Vitamin-B supplement, with extra B-6 & B-12, & ate a healthy balanced diet.

I think the B vitamins (as recommended by an herbal naturopath) & the exercise sort of "burned it outa me", though I'm not sure just how or why.

I can currently go for days, even weeks, with NO tinnitus, rather than the daily ringing that plagued me from Jan. of 1996 (following a mild flu-like illness [shake] ) until... oh... mid-summer of 1997.

I still get a little 'zing-ing' now & then, but it's gone by the next morning.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
I notice after treating with a PEMF machine that tinnitus decreases greatly for about six hours.

PEMF means pulsed electro-magnetic frequency machine.

Hmm, I wonder if a SOTA Mag Pulser would help.
I did try it for migraine, but didn't have any results.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Carol, I looked it up - it lists a much higher gauss strength than the PEMF machine that's been effective for all of us who try it - pain relief, mostly, with increased energy for some.

So I don't know about yours. I guess you could try some extended time and see what happens.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement