LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Enema Bag Height

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enema Bag Height
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing coffee enemas for a few weeks and plan to start garlic enemas.

I just read on google that enema bag should be hung no higher than 36 inches. I have been hanging mine on the shower-curtain rod. Does it matter how high bag is?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, less than 36 inches. It should go in slow not fast. Over 10-15 min is good.

I know... we don't like to wait but you tend to want to explode as soon as it gets in there and you ideally want it to sit in there awhile say at least 5-10 min. for good results.

Sometimes you can do an initial 1 cup to get the blockage out then do the regular enema to hold and release.

It's better to let it work slowly. Try to lye on your left side to start, then move around to let the solution get a bit higher into your colon.

[ 10-09-2010, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: TS96 ]

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, shower rod???!!!! [Eek!] I hang mine on the doorknob!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! I have been doing this shower rod height for 3 weeks....haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Is there any harm in doing it that way as long as I can hold the enema?

I tried hanging it much lower today, but it took forever to empty the bag. Do you retain the enema 15 minutes after the bag fully empties?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any harm?? well...if I did that I would immediately feel an urge to go and that would defeat the purpose, not to mention the pressure going in. You could stretch out your lower portion of your colon (Mega colon), which would decrease your sensation or urge to have a bm.

No... I don't usually hold for 15 min bec. I already have a mega colon from over 10yrs of constipation so I must go slow if I want to enema to go more than a couple inches past the rectum.

But the experts tell you try to hold it as long as you can usually 10-15 min. I think you get a better release that way. I can hold it for about 5min is all.
You could try standing on your head LOL. I know I can't.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you can put it where it work for you and not sure about yours but mind has about 4 clicks on the let out valve so I can control the speed with that.

So I hang mine on this hook that is behind my bathroom door and that is about as high as a shower curtain. Not quite as high though.

But Though i used that if I am going to do the enema sitting on the toilet that I have figured out how to do and then I can go lay down. This is not easy to do at first until you learn how to take the enema in..

If you lay on the floor the door knob is better It think.. And I do that too..

All in all. we are all different. But yes. Hold it for about 10 to 15 after its all in if you can.

Some people have to work up to that..

All in all they are a helpful detox modality and I have though have never done garlic ones?

I have done some salt type once in awhile as i get nervous about infection of any sort and I heard from someone who was very careful and still got one..

SO a salt water one after each or every so often I would suggest too.

Also.. not sure how much your doing but a quart seems to be a good amount and recommended to use or work up to...

Good luck ..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does take a few minutes for the bag to empty with it lower. I don't know if it does any damage to have it higher. I have to control the flow even with it on the doorknob. Most of the time mine is about 15-20 min total (including about 5 min for the coffee to get in), sometimes less.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in school for nursing, we learned how to administer an enema.

Now that nursing schools have so much online, you can google for instructions.

BTW, you lie on the LEFT side, as the solution will flow in better.

We learned that a saline enema should be one teaspoon salt per one pint of water.
This is the concentration of salt in the body.

The higher you hold the bag of solution, the faster it will flow in, and with more force.
We usually held it only about one to two feet higher than the patient.

Body temperature is best...too hot or too cold will be uncomfortable.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Sounds like I need to lower the enema bag.

I have not been doing a probiotic enema afterwards, so need to add that in also.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

you are right Carol. You do lay on the left side. sorry. I am a nurse too and I get so mixed up now. don't know my left from right anymore.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I think you probably got mixed up because most coffee enema websites say right side. I know the coffee enema is not supposed to be a high enema, so perhaps it's to keep the coffee from going up too far???? What do you two think?

--------------------

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hang mine on a towel bar and still regulate it with the clicks on the valve.

I do 2 cups plain water to get anything in there out.

I think there's something wrong with me. I can only hols about 1 1/2 cups and have to let it go in very slowly. So mine is done in increments, takes a long time!

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement