LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » XMRV and bartonella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XMRV and bartonella
LividLymie
Member # 28556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LividLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else here have an XMRV positive test and also have a positive for bart?

I'm wondering what happens when you stop your bart meds. I know for many Lymies bart is almost impossible to eradicate, but my hunch is it's even worse if one has a retrovirus (bart goes wild with HIV, for example).

Posts: 4 | From Borderlands | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess - the majority of us here probably have both. I don't envision it being a rare combo.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If XMRV is present in the sickest-of-the-sick as far as CFIDS patients go (which is what the first, original study showed), then I'll probably have it. I have not been tested and will not be tested until it's covered by insurance, however.

I do have bartonella.

It is an absolutely horrendous infection, for anyone with a dysfunctional immune system.

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Dr. K. telling me that the XMRV virus responds well to Artemisinin over 6-9 months. He includes it in his cocktail when indicated, along with whatever else is indicated. Artemisinin is now available in powder form from Biopure and very easy to use. I have one of the recipes if anyone is interested.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband just tested XMRV positive. He has never tested postive for bartonella, but has a clinical diagnosis and has responded to both pharma and alternative treatments for bart. His progress in treatment has been very up and down...period of improvement, periods of backsliding.

Gigi, I'd be very interested in Dr. K's recipe. Does he have an idea about why XMRV should respond to artemisinin?

Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I remember Dr. K. telling me that the XMRV virus responds well to Artemisinin over 6-9 months."

How does he know this?

Symptom resolution?

Do they get retested and come up negative?

When did VIP start testing, somewhere around December 2009?

I cannot see that there have been enough people who tested positive, then used artemisinin to reach remission in 6-9 months, to make a statement like that at this point.

Many Lymies have used artemisinin for very long periods, some for years even, and I am not aware of even one full remission from this mono-therapy.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, especially with your last point. Respect for Dr K aside, arteminisin as monotherapy for XMRV is a pipe dream.
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experience, Dr. K. has never used any monotherapy for any infection or toxicity problem. Numerous other agents are usually part of the overall approach because that is called for with a multifaceted disease. This is very obvious if you look at his published protocols, more recently his published "cocktails".
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LividLymie
Member # 28556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LividLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on various artemesia derivatives for years now (arteminisin, etc.), and still tested XMRV positive and don't think they have helped my XMRV symptoms at all, but I think that idea about arteminisin also comes from Dr. Paul Cheney, who uses it on XMRV patients.

If you're talking about the Dr. K. I'm thinking of, he recommends this technique for bartonella that was used by Russian soldiers, in which one spits in a cup and then makes a homeopathic remedy from it -- I'm curious what he would think about something similar for XMRV, or if he thinks any rizols, etc., would work on XMRV.

I think generally we'll find that XMRV is like HIV when it comes to alternative therapies -- that is, largely untreatable -- but I hope that's not true.

Posts: 4 | From Borderlands | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah the idea probably has more to do with Cheney than Dr. K. Neither of them use monotherapy in the strict sense of the word, but I mean it's the main weapon they suggest for targeting XMRV directly.

I don't know that XMRV will be like HIV. They are very different retroviruses. But it will be difficult, whether through allopathic or alternative. The advantage of allopathic is obviously that millions of dollars have gone into HIV research, and so there are a ton of off-the-shelf drugs available and also other toxic and not-so-toxic therapies aimed at wiping out HIV reservoirs and targeting the virus directly in the works.

The greatest hope in alternative medicine for retroviruses is a combination of terrain therapy (immune modulation) and nosode therapy. Just to show how the lines are blurred between allopathic and alt, both of these have analogues in allopathic: ampligen, IVIG etc for modulation, and vaccine development to mimic nosode therapy. However, because of govt regulation, nosode therapy is going to be less available than ever in europe.

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement