LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » Looking for feedback on Dr. C in midwest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on Dr. C in midwest
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I am looking for feedback from Dr. C in midwest. Please respond back to me via private message.

My questions are -

1. What is his personality like?
2. How much does he cost?
3. After you have seen him the first time, will he do some phone appointments so you don't alwasy have to travel?
4. IS he good at figuring out co-infections?
5. Does he want to run a whole bunch of blood tests each time you see him?
6. Do you feel he has helped you or your family member?

Thank you - Amanda

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does not treat adequately. Some folks like him but if you want strong Lyme treatment its probably not a good idea.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is considered "adequate"? I would think that is very subjective.

I and many others have been successfully treated by this dr. I would say that is adequate.

and no.. he doesn't overload with tons of meds

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

I am reporting the consensus of feedback that I have gotten from patients over the years. The overwhelming majority report that he uses too low dosing. Adequate would mean, appropriate doses to kill the specific germs, whether it be bartonella, Lyme, babesia, rocky mountain spotted fever etc. I also have the opinion of 2 top LLMD's who agree that he undertreats, and he is not a member of ILADS. I ask these questions on behalf of patients all the time. Patients have been there for years and years and are still sick. I have seen some of the protocols first hand and they are very low doses. The choice is up to you guys, if you want low, and gentle dosing, then go for it. I am just reporting the feedback. No personal attack or bashing is written here. This is strictly feedback, and it is valuable for all of us to share like this. TuTu, if some patients get well, that is great, and his approach may indeed be an option for those people wishing to use small doses.

thank you.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm not out to argue.. just defend.

There are plenty out there who are now well because of him and they aren't necessarily HERE.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

WildCondor
Unregistered

Good to hear. Like I said, I am just reporting the feedback I have gotten and continue to get. I have heard he is a very sweet man. I do not know him personally, just again, how he treats.
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree with wc I go to this doctor and he has gotten me to about 90 % and still improving he is a little cautious and does not prescribe heavy dosages because he has seen some disasters from others who tell a patient to jump in full dose and end up in the emergency room.

this doctor will get you well and I will recommend him to anyone ~pj

[ 12-05-2009, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: pj1954 ]

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do recommend him highly. He did get me as well as I am today, and I have been off abx for many years now. I have always considered Dr. C (MO) to be an angel!

I never use the word "cured", but I'm as near that as can be, and I'm very happy with my new normal.

I do rife as maintenance, continue herbs/supplements, exercise, and probably will continue all that for many years to come.

I hope you find an LLMD to fit your needs.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also highly recommend him. My whole family goes to him.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StopTheItchPlz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great to hear all the wonderful things about Dr. C. I am going to see him in a few months. He sounds like a good person and a great doctor.

I am glad to read that he doesn't overload with antibiotics. I really don't think I could handle all that medication at once.

I am more confident that I have made the right choice! If you go to him Amanda, please update us on how it went. I will be sure to do the same. Good luck:)

Posts: 50 | From Midwest | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be terrific if you updated me, as well, by sending me a brief description of your impression of your visit for my LLMD list.

All patient comments are anonymous. Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'll do that tomorrow, Abx!

Dr C got me well and I think he was a wonderful doctor.. just perfect for me and for my illness.

He's not perfect.. nobody is. But he will work with you and listen to you in order to get you well. He has lots of different weapons in his arsenal.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One key issue is not mentioned here. Be prepared to only be able to see your LLMD once every six months. Good for some people, but an absolute disaster for others. Good luck.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My followup was in 5 months.

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually hes working on that every 6 months thing he's hoping to recruit other doctors into his practice.

thats why he took a teaching position hes hoping to teach others how to treat this disease, so the waiting list will not be as long as your arm.

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know PJ. I'm just saying it in case others don't know. It's tough to manage treatment effectively with gaps like that. Some people aren't bothered by it, but it's good to know before you commit a big chunk of cash to the doc.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I used to go every 2 months. I talked to his wife about a month ago and they now require you to come back every 4 months.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled 8 hr one way to see this doctor for 2 yrs. I went 6 times in that period.

By the time I found him, I had already been down the abx path for over 2 yrs. He tried other options with me. He put me on abx that I hadn't done. He told me I was one of those patients that just wasn't improving with abx for whatever reason????

He did all the testing which showed obvisious problems. Dr C gave me a wealth of info, he treated me great. He tried.

He knew I was quitting abx and going the complete alternative route. He supported my next journey.

That's why today....I highly encourage others from around my (KY) to go to him. If I ever again felt the need to see this doctor, I'd see him in a heartbeat.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StopTheItchPlz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all:) I have been meaning to write this for a week but I started Doxy the day after Christmas and have been dealing with that so I apologize for not getting this in sooner.

I got in earlier to see Dr. C in Missouri because of a cancellation(YAY!) so we went to see him on the 22nd. It was a 5 hour trip there. I was absolutely impressed & blown away by his knowledge. He could tell by looking at me that I have thyroid and probable hormone issues. He notices so many signs of lyme(borreliosis) in me just from looking at me and looking at my history. He noted one side of my mouth is lower than the other. He believed me when I said I thought I had gotten sick initially from flea bites, he said a lot of patients have told him that! He assessed me as having possible borreliosos, babesia & bartonella(he wants to see the WB results to call it) and is sure I have major yeast issues. With the issues I am having with my internal organs he told me I "have a lot on my plate" but we will get me fixed:) The hope feels so great:) The actual visit was so full of information, it's impossible to add it all. I have a HUGE amount of literature to help remind me of things, guidelines to follow, etc. I made myself a binder & organized it too lol

When you go, be sure to write up a complete medical summary of yourself. Write EVERYTHING down!! This helps him immensely!

I got to spend 2 hours & 15 minutes with the doctor. We discussed everything and he made me feel so at ease. He will tell you that you are not crazy and you are not imagining your pain. He listens and factors in everything. I loved the staff too, they are all very nice:)

I would recommend him to anyone with chronic illnesses, even if they do not have lyme. He strongly believes in positive frame of mind and clean living/eating. Eating properly is crucial to recovery. I honestly don't think most patients will get 100% better unless they change their eating habits. If you are sensitive to everything, as I am, then this is especially true. Yeast wreaks havoc on the body(I have always thought so but Doc has the numbers to back this up). Getting better is a joint effort, you have to help yourself get well. Taking all the antibiotics in the world will not totally eradicate symptoms. It's going to be hard but I am in to win!

I hope this helps anyone considering Dr. C. I really like & respect him and this is after just one visit. He is an angel that gives people the gift of knowledge to get better. God that sounds so corny but it's true. I am so thankful for finding him, this forum and all the people & knowledge I am going to need for this journey. If anyone wants to pm me for any reason, feel free. I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone:)

~B

Posts: 50 | From Midwest | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

P.S. I forgot to add that I am on my 6th day of Doxy and am really starting to feel what a herx is. I have had 1 migraine so far, maaaajor joint pain and swelling for a couple days and my stomach is going into overdrive(I have major stomach issues anyway). Surprisingly, my rashes are gone and I have no itching. I have no idea why but I'm not complaining!! LOL
(I haven't cut out the yeast in my diet yet either, that starts tomorrow)

I had an attack this morning, like a cross between anxiety & low blood sugar. My heart skipped some beats and I thought I was going to pass out. I haven't had anything like that for a long time so it was very scary(but I lived!). It lasted about 10 minutes but seemed like an eternity. If this happens to you just talk to yourself, calm yourself down as best you can and it will pass. [If you think you need to, call a doctor though.]

Taking the doxy in the middle of a meal is the BEST way to avoid heartburn. Not before or after eating, but right in the middle. And not with a snack, you need real food~but no dairy!

This is going to be a long journey but I try to remember that I didn't get sick quickly so getting better will not be quick & painless. Thank God we have the knowledge to do this the right way though, huh? Support is essential to getting well also imho.

StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Oh one more thing! lol

For Abxnomore, feel free to use my review of Dr. C if you want to. Forgot to mention that!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's great! He is number one in MY book!!

This is VERY correct:

"Eating properly is crucial to recovery. I honestly don't think most patients will get 100% better unless they change their eating habits. If you are sensitive to everything, as I am, then this is especially true.

Yeast wreaks havoc on the body (I have always thought so but Doc has the numbers to back this up). Getting better is a joint effort, you have to help yourself get well. Taking all the antibiotics in the world will not totally eradicate symptoms."

and YES to taking the doxy in the middle of a meal! Absolutely!

Glad you're on the right path! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Oh I forgot another thing LOL!!

My follow-up appointment is in 5 months. I can call at any time they said.

He will not pressure you into any tests you can't afford or don't want. He will tell you what he thinks you need though.

Hopefully I am not forgetting anything else! lol

Thanks Lymetoo [Smile]

pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

sounds like you liked him ! I knew you would ~pj
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, he always considered the patients pocketbook. How many docs do that today? Not many.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up for jkmarshall

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jkmarshall911
Member # 24000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmarshall911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! Is this type of dr not covered by insurance?
Posts: 4 | From St. Louis | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildCondor:
Does not treat adequately. Some folks like him but if you want strong Lyme treatment its probably not a good idea.

Please send me a PM on who does treat adequately, in your opinion, because I am thinking of switching to Dr. C from my current LLMD.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarshall911:
Thank you! Is this type of dr not covered by insurance? [/QB]

Many LLMD's do not take insurance. If they do, the ins co can limit what they do for the patient.

Dr C does not take insurance.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to contribute to an arguement by any means, but here is what I think happens......It is a philosophy I developed over 20 months of treatment, and because after treating with moderate dosing, only started to improve on low doses of Doxycycline. Here goes.......

People go to a LLMD that uses low doses to treat; after a year or so, they don't get well, so they leave and go to a LLMD that treats aggressively, believing that low doses must not work since they aren't better yet.

Then they treat aggressively for another year or more and finally they do get well, probably after 2 or more years of treatment.

I believe that they would have gotten well in that same time frame with low doses, but because their remission just happened to come during the aggressive treatment, they are under the belief that, that was the reason they got well.

My doc says your tissues can only absorb a certain amount of medication, the rest just gets squeezed out of the tissues and basically is that much more medication for your liver to deal with. Maybe why some have such a hard time with aggressive treatment.

The reason people have developed this strong belief that only aggressive treatment works is because that is usually where they end up, thinking the low dose didn't work, when in reality they didn't stick with it long enough to know.

I think it is more about time, not dosage. If you are constantly putting the meds in, even in low doses, they are absorbed deeper and deeper until they reach those stubborn spirochetes that are so deep that only time will get rid of them.

My doc who starts out aggressively for the first month, then goes to lower doses has cured a lot of people, those that stuck with him. I know some that left for more aggressive treatment, and it still took them years to get well.

This is just my philosophy, I am not trying to force it on anyone, but I feel very strongly that low doses do work just as well if not better than large more dangerous dosing. And with less side effects to boot.

Just my humble opinion!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

thanks sutherngrl thats one of his quotes slow and steady wins the race !

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement