LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » LLMD in Oregon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LLMD in Oregon
sparker035
Member # 39783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparker035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for a LLMD in Oregon for myself and my 15 year-old daughter.
We just moved to Portland from Minnesota. We were both treated by doctors in Wisconsin but I have still never had a positive test except by an electroacupunturist. We were so sick two different doctors in Wisconsin treated us anyway. I was on antibiotics for 5 months but my symptoms have come back. My daughter seems better but I am still concerned.
We would be thankful for any info.

Posts: 3 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I have to first break up the post to read it. SOme others also have trouble with solid text. For more to be able to read & reply:
---------------------

sparker035 writes:

We just moved to Portland from Minnesota. We were both treated by doctors in Wisconsin but I have still never had a positive test except by an electroacupunturist.

We were so sick two different doctors in Wisconsin treated us anyway. I was on antibiotics for 5 months but my symptoms have come back. My daughter seems better but I am still concerned.

(sparker035, Portland, OR)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I live in Portland. Welcome both to Lymenet (though sorry for the reason you are here).

Welcome to Portland, too. The next few sunny days are a rare occurence so drink in the blue sky and sunshine.

I'm so very sorry to tell you that there are no LLMDs in Oregon. The Oregon Medical Board is strongly opposed to even the idea of lyme, much less long term treatment.

Most doctors here have distain for patients that even whisper the word "lyme" so be careful with your selection of regular doctors and what you say. You don't want to get "flagged" early on.

However, there is a LLMD just across the river, over the state line. You can gather experiences of those in the support groups.

And there are a couple LL NDs who are ILADS educated and there is an active lyme support group that meets once a month. Being homebound, I've never gone but do follow them.

Call the support group for detail on the LL NDs and if there may be some lyme "friendly" MDs or at least some who can help in some way, under the radar.

But a couple MDs in past years who tried to help those with lyme lost their medical licenses. It's that hostile here, sadly.

It may also be trickier with your daughter. Best not to advertise this - and especially her treatment - to her teachers (or even other parents / students) UNITL you talk to those in the support groups for some guidance regarding attitudes and terrain.

The Oregon child wefare system may have something to say about a minor receiving long term antibiotics. Tread very carefully and privately regarding teachers (UNTIL you can find out more. Some are fabulous but the wrong words to the wrong person can cause a great deal of trouble).

Be guarded regarding pharmacists, too.

I really don't intend to alarm you but, rather, arm you with caution until your feet are steady on this new ground. Oregon is one of the most hostile states against lyme and those who have it.

Some parents have been threatened with loosing custody of children being treated long term, even when by out-of-state doctors.

Get LL doctor advice BEFORE considering ANY vacinations or even a flu shot. This is very important for those with lyme.
-

[ 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure to log on so you can see if you have any PMs each time you visit this site. The PM icon will not flash if you don't log on.

Included below are ways you can find LLMDs in Washington state or California. Many in Oregon go out of state for a LLMD but also have LL ND for support in Oregon.

http://lyme.kaiserpapers.org/oregon.html

Lyme Disease in Oregon

The Kaiser Papers - not by or from Kaiser Insurance but about how they deal with lyme inquiries

Also gives background regarding lack of lyme assessment / treatment in general, regardless of one's insurance coverage.

OREGON SUPPORT GROUPS listed at BOTTOM OF PAGE

-------------------------
http://www.lymememorial.org/State_Stats/State_Statistics_Oregon.htm

Vectors and diseases in Oregon.

http://lyme.kaiserpapers.org/washington.html

Lyme Disease in Washington

Scroll down for WASHINGTON SUPPORT GROUPS at BOTTOM OF PAGE

------------------------------

On-line support (and to see what others' suggest) through www.LymeDisease.org -

http://www.lymedisease.org/resources/referrals.html

Doctor Referrals

http://www.lymedisease.org/resources/support.html

On-line support for those in CALIFORNIA above, other states below.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/YOURSTATENAMELyme

Just zipper in the state name where you seek a LL doctor. To join for discussion, best to join in your own state.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You may well know most of this. Still, some key links may be of help.

-
THE BASICS
------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

Reasons for False Negative (Seronegative) Test Results in Lyme Disease

=============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

What ILADS is & WHY you need an ILADS "educated" or "minded" Lyme Literate doctor (whether MD or ND, or both) - starting with assessment / evaluation.

Before beginning any treatment::

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

===============================

The Lyme Controversy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPRWiukp_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yk0C-uX9cU&feature=related
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sent contact details for 3 options. Check you mail box.

Good luck and take care.
-

Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also interested in any Lyme Literate anyone's in Oregon

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Larae,

Be sure to read the links above regarding the medical climate in Oregon, the support groups links.

I sent contact detail for 3 LL NDs around Portland. It's a big state so you might add what area.

Those closest to either the WA or CA state lines are at the best advantange for a LLMD, as there are none in Oregon. However, do check out the ILADS educated LL NDs.
-

marcimelinda
Member # 38914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcimelinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparker035:
We just moved to Portland from Minnesota. We were both treated by doctors in Wisconsin but I have still never had a positive test except by an electroacupunturist. We were so sick two different doctors in Wisconsin treated us anyway. I was on antibiotics for 5 months but my symptoms have come back. My daughter seems better but I am still concerned.

Posts: 3 | From Oregon | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcimelinda
Member # 38914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcimelinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently took my daughter to a ND in Tigard. She is EXCELLENT. This was after an exhaustive search to find someone who knows what they're doing treating Lyme. I would highly recommmend her. I tried to "private message" you but got the message you aren't accepting private messages.
Posts: 3 | From Oregon | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
marcimelinda,

Sparker035's mail box is accepting messages. However, mine is usually off (just too tired to reply but turn it on just to send Oregon details). Maybe you hit my PM box and got the "off" message? Anyway . . .

Contact detail for that LL ND was sent to sparker035 on Jan. 1 and that PM has been read by sparker035.

I agree that LL ND is excellent (though my budget only allowed for two consults, I learned a great deal at least). It's good that she attends ILADS conferences, too, so she is very up to date.

She regularly presents at the Portland lyme support group. She has also a co-instructor for workshops designed for other NDs in the area who want to learn more about lyme.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement