LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Out of line to ask for test results?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Out of line to ask for test results?
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 5 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's test results should be ready by the end of this week - maybe even today.

Would it be out of line for me to call IGeneX labs and ask them to send me copies of the results here to our home?

If they will send them to me, would my daughter's LLMD be insulted by my having done this when we see her again in two weeks?

Can I also ask IGeneX to send copies of the test results to my daughter's HMO pediatrician?

Thank you so much,

Toni

Posts: 134 | From calif. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex will not send test results to the patient. Not even if the doctor authorizes it. They will tell you if your results have been sent to the doctors office.

Check with your doctor and see if they will fax you the results when they get them. Some doctors prefer to see you before giving out the test results. You do, however, have a right to get a copy. If you don't get them before the appt., ask them to make you a copy at the end of the appt.

They are required to let you have copies.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, riversinger.

You really have been our guardian angel through all of this.

Thank you so very much for all of your help.

Toni

(been wanting to email you, but don't know what to say. don't want to unload on you as I see that you already have such a heavy weight on your own shoulders as it is)

Posts: 134 | From calif. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel free to e-mail me! Besides my own resources, I have lots of contacts in Sonoma and Marin. You know there is an active support group that meets in Marin, and a new one starting in SF?

Sometimes I'm not immediate with my replies, but I will get back to you. Also, Cave76 from Lymenet will answer you if you use the lymeinfo addy rather than my personal e-mail. Two for one!

And, last option, you could join our yahoo support group. Click on the link below, you can look it over. That way you could ask questions of more local folks. It says Sonoma County, but we have folks from north and south as well.

------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex1950
Member # 6308

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Alex1950     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask the doctor for copies of all tests, and make sure that he/she intrepids the tests for you and write everything down.

When you go to another Dr(s), they can view the test(s), and make a better decision to your daughters condition.

Stress the point that your daughter has lyme and don't take no for an answerer. If they poo-poo the lyme fight back by yelling and screaming, until they recognize it.

I Even have to educate my lyme Dr on a few things.

Drs are so busy that its hard for them to keep up with all new procedures and treatments.

Hope she your daughter is felling OK

Alex

Posts: 77 | From Chester NJ 07930 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
getting copies of everything as Alex suggests is REALLY importamt. I didn't for myself, and have had doctors die or quit or just keep terrible records, and I paid for it in heartache and headache when it came to getting insurance etc. down the line.

It's a good idea to get copies of the doctors notes as you go, or at regular intervals.

Riversinger's a peach, huh. (Alex, I'm sure you are too, since you give such great advice ['cause it coincides with my own]).

You know what? You're doing great, asking all the right questions, getting the right kind of help. Hang in there. It may be a tough ride for a while but you'll get there.

I want you to notice something. Did you see how I opened and closed all the parentheses properly? I'd never have managed that 6 months ago. YAY for treatment.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toni, you can call Igenex and ask WHEN the results are sent to your dr.

Someone lost mine for 4 wks; I had to followup & then had to wait 2 more days after they faxed same day to my dr!

Yes, ask your dr. EACH visit for a copy of his dictation typed notes; you need them.
Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much to you all for your advice. I feel so, um, small, if you will, being up against all of these labs and doctors and such, but I have stood my ground fairly well so far, I think. It's tough. And scary.

I called IGeneX yesterday right after reading riversinger's response to me and they said all tests aside from the WA1 were completed and results were sent to our LLMD on Nov. 2nd.

I immediately called our LLMDs office and left a message on the machine (a machine ~always~ answers...never a live person). I explained that IGeneX had told me results had been sent to them and to please call me for correct procedures on having them fax the results to me.

It's now almost 5pm a day later and I still have not heard back from them. I'm trying not to be too overly aggressive because I know that only causes problems in the long run. I just don't know how long to wait before calling them again.

Frustrating, to say the least.

Yes, I will ask for the doctor's records after every visit. I know I'm entitled to those and I know they're very important to have. My daughter's binder is getting quite thick already - gonna have to buy a bigger one soon!

minoucat - way to go on the parenthesis. A big YEHAWWW to you! I can only imagine how frightening the fog brain and confusion has been for you.

Thanks again everyone!

Toni

[This message has been edited by heartsickmommy (edited 04 November 2004).]

riversinger
Member # 4851

Toni,

I know it's hard to wait. Remember that Dr. G's office is only open part time, so it can take longer than usual to get a return. My doctor's office often takes 48-72 hours to get back to me on things like lab tests.

Usually they are quicker on more critical questions, but not always. Lyme is a very time consuming illness for the doctors and their offices, so I try to give them some slack, as long as things get done eventually.

I've heard Dr. G spends a long time with her patients, so things tend to get backed up. I never mind that in a doctor, as long as I get the same thorough treatment. For that, I'm willing to wait.

Also, remember what I said about some doctors not liking to let the patient have the tests before the appointment with the doctor. sometimes the doctor likes to be able to explain them, rather than have the patient worry when they don't understand the results.

So, hard as it is, try to have patience. Knowing sooner won't really make a difference in your daughter's treatment, as you will still have to see the doc for any adjustments.

How's your little girl doing? Is she feeling OK?

Hey minoucat! Looks like you're ready for big time writing! If you can pull off proper parens on Lymenet, you can do almost anything.

------------------
[email protected]

heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Patience is my worst trait when it comes to anything having to do with my little girl. The waiting is driving me insane. My daughter's Ceftin treatment will end 4 days before our next appt and that makes me very nervous. Not having a good day today (or night last night) with the husband either. Seems when I bring up the topic of Lyme, his head goes deeper and deeper into the sand.

Thanks for asking how my daughter is doing. She seems to be okay for the most part. This is the strangest disease I have ever witnessed. It's like sitting and watching the ocean waves move in and out, in and out. I liken her to those waves. They come in and crash hard, some bigger than others, and then they ebb back and the ocean is calm once again. Does that make sense?

She's had petechiae on her face, neck, and upper chest for the past week now. Some of the spots are actually raised, some just flat that look like tiny bright red blood blisters.

Last night she was admiring herself in the mirror and turned her head sideways. I caught a glance of some sort of lump on the side of her neck. I touched it gently and noticed that it was a large ball that rolled around under her skin. Swollen lymph node, I'm assuming.

Yesterday, she had some bladder control problems which were unusual. She ran to the bathroom three times in a matter of 3 hours, each time spilling urine in her underwear. That is very, very unusual for her. Today she seems to be fine. ?????

Mostly, though, she's been tired. Not the same girl I used to know. Also, lots of anxiety and newly formed separation anxiety. Odd and unusual.

here she is ready for jammies... must go tend to her.

thanks so much for asking, riversinger!

Toni
(feel like crying all the time...ALL the time)

riversinger
Member # 4851

Well, it sounds like your little sweetie is likely to need more treatment, with the symptoms she is showing.

Does Dr. G have e-mail? You could try e-mailing, with a brief description of the symptoms, and state that the rx will run out before your appt. Mention that the tests should be back, and ask whether she wants your daughter to continue with the meds she is on, or whether they might need to be changed.

You could also try calling the pharmacy for a refill. The pharmacy will automatically send a request to the doctor's office for approval. That may be the most effective means of keeping her under continuous treatment.

You might want to take a photo of the petechiae, if you think it will show up. Symptoms have a way of disappearing when you are seeing the doctor, and rashes are good to document with tick borne illnesses.

Sounds like her nervous system is getting cranky, with the bladder control issues, and the fatigue and anxiety. Warm epsom salt baths can help by introducing some magnesium. You might try taking one too. You have to take care of yourself as well, because your daughter will be looking to you to see how to respond to all of this.

Your husband is probably as scared as you, but guys aren't always so good at knowing how to deal with it. Distancing himself may be all he knows to do. If you let him have a little room, he may come around.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but remember, you are catching it early. Just take it day to day, and hopefully before long you'll have back the little girl you know.

------------------
[email protected]

heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

If she does have email, she didn't give her addy to me. I'm going to call her this weekend at both of her offices and leave messages. That way the message will be available to her on Monday morning at both locations.

Here again, caught in the middle re: refilling of Rx. I've worked so hard to build a relationship btwn the HMO pediatrician, LLMD, and ourselves. It's worked in our favor so far - RX is via pediatrician per LLMD's advice, so HMO pays for it. Calling in for a refill will only be a contact btwn myself and HMO pediatrician.

Reading your post to me this morning gave me a good chuckle. Yes, I should take an Epsom salt bath, too. he he... I really must 'sound' like I'm falling off my rocker. Actually, that's really not too far from the truth! I guess it's pretty obvious, eh?

And the latest news is...her EM rash is back again for the 3rd time. It just showed up this morning in all of its splendor and glory.

And as far as photos go - I should be employed by National Geographic, I tell you. I've got pictures of her 1st EM rash, 2nd EM rash, and now the beginnings of her 3rd EM rash. I'll definitely take some pics of the petechiae, but I don't think it will show up. They're so tiny. I'll sure give it one heck of a try though!

I looked into plane fares to CT this morning. I'll decide on whether to book or not after next appt. Reserving judgement for now, but feeling slightly uncomfortable with current situation for several reasons.

riversinger, how are YOU feeling? Are you currently taking meds?

Toni

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement