LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » HURRICANE CHECKLIST for LYME BRAINS (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HURRICANE CHECKLIST for LYME BRAINS
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EDIT- The Hurricane Season officially begins on June 1, 2018, and will end on November 30, 2018.

Because we, as a Lyme group, are especially affected negatively by stress and...

Because we are often sick, slow moving, on meds, can't think clearly, are broke, and get lost easily.... and...

Because we have trouble driving, making plans at the last minute, living in or going to unfamiliar places and can be rattled when we are out of our own element, etc....

We ALL need a disaster plan!

PLEASE Be Prepared- Reminders & Instructions
https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/help-for-you/hurricane-list--printable

First Aid Kit- Checklist/Supplies
https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/help-for-you/hurricane-list--printable/first-aid-kits

[ 04-01-2018, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 6 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL.....run around in circles yelling "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". [Eek!] [dizzy]

Sorry TC just had to put here the first thing that came to my pea brain. [Big Grin]

In all seriousness, it's hard to plan for all contigencies. We have supplies for if the power, gas or water goes out.

We have Bleach, One gallon of water per day per person for 2 wks and lots of canned goods etc.

Space bags are great for possible flooding too. You can keep blankets clothes etc. in those.

Other than being prepared to hunker down where we're at we don't have other plans really.

Living in a really conjested area it would almost be safer to ride out a disaster (except fire), at home or a local shelter.

I for one don't want to be stuck on a freeway or in a huge crowd trying to get to safety.

stay safe, proudmom

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After Gustave I realized a couple of things.

One....hard to stay to a yeast free diet. [Frown]

Two....Hard to remember when to take meds, what was taken, etc. [shake]

Three...I love electricity! [Big Grin]

Seriously though. The constant flow of adrenaline for at least 2-3 days left me frazzled.

I could have slept the storm away if it wasn't for my children and keeping up with things.

Hard to be good to yourself at times like this.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point...

Last night there was an earthquake here, and once again, I vowed to try and get an emergency kit together.

So far, I have purchased...

antibacterial wipes. [Smile]

(do you think that will sustain me for a couple of weeks?)

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NICE to know I am taken seriously here... you clowns, you!

PM said.. "LOL.....run around in circles yelling "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"."

That use to be my first choice too... till I realized I couldn't run anymore.. and going in circles did nothing more than make me MORE dizzy! HA! Goofy girl!

[Big Grin]

G said.. "After Gustave I realized a couple of things.

One....hard to stay to a yeast free diet.

Two....Hard to remember when to take meds, what was taken, etc.

Three...I love electricity!"

Good points for the first "couple of things"... but your third one... besides busting the "couple" limit... made me laugh!

How many times did you try to turn on the light switch while the electric was off?

Having Lyme.. I always forget it doesn't work! Bet you did too!

[Big Grin]

And my dear Melanie... oh my... that is possibly the saddest answer of all.

Maybe that is why I am laughing so hard right now?

I'm not sure if I should ask... but are you running short on medicine? Or shall I say... for your medicine to work.. you actually need to take it?

[lol]

Or... shall I mention...

I am sure glad I didn't know you were this prepared when I put my life in your hands on several occasions... like during the wilderness canoe trip... swinging from trees in the rain forest.. and even when playing Spanish Bingo.

But kidding aside...

I am SURE those antibacterial wipes would have come in handy had we had any emergency situations arise... like snake bites, drowning after being thrown from the canoe, crashing to the ground from 100 feet up in the air, etc...

But maybe we could work on your emergency plan a bit more... so we could at least eat a couple meals if all access to food were cut off suddenly.

After all, I've seen what you can do to a chicken when you are hungry... and it ain't pretty!

[lol]

Class dismissed! We will try again later.

HA!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW- Did you really have an earthquake? AGAIN?

YIKES!!!

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies, oh great teacher TC, [bow]

I didn't mean to set the tone for your post. [Roll Eyes] Unfortunately thats my coping skills, throw a joke at it and then get down to business. [Big Grin]

I'll try again, here's a list of what we keep on hand.

Bleach.....in case of flood, add to toilets and drains. We've had a flood or two and when the sewerlines get backed up the gases etc. come up through the lines.

One Gal. water per person per day in house for atleast 10 days.

Canned goods.....all food groups. don't forget can opener unless you're really good with a knife.

Batteries........all sizes

Radio that runs on batteries.

Space Bags with blankets

Space bags with Medical/First aid supplies

Chem lights (glow sticks)

And What I call dual use items,

Honey

Baking soda

Vaseline

I grew up in earthquake country too. The above list is pretty much what we had on hand when I was growing up. Even the best laid plans can not always be perfect.

Hannah was supposed to follow the coast line so my daughter and I went about getting ready for the unknown.

You should have heard how many people told us that a hurricane would never hit here and that most likely it'll fall apart before getting here. What if it didn't???

My daughter and I have been through a couple of emergencies and it's amazing how many people come to you for help. They forgot even the simplest of items like water.

Sure I'm forgeting stuff, proudmom [hi]

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we did have an earthquake. Not a big one, but even the small ones are a bit unnerving.

Sooo, you shamed me into getting a few more things for my emergency kit today.

So, now I have:

antibacterial wipes

toothbrush
toothpaste
and
4 energy bars! [Smile]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Make that 3 energy bars.

(yummm...chocolate and peanut butter!)

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some good info from: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/prepare/family_plan.shtml It discusses hurricanes but this plan would work for most any disaster.

The Plan

Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.

Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances the safest areas may not be your home but within your community.

Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet. These should be measured in tens of miles rather than hundreds of miles.

Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.

Make a plan now for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.

Post emergency telephone numbers by your phones and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.

Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowners insurance.

Stock non-perishable emergency supplies and a Disaster Supply Kit.

Use a NOAA weather radio. Remember to replace its battery every 6 months, as you do with your smoke detectors.

Take First Aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.

Supply Kit

Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days

Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days
-- non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
-- foods for infants or the elderly
-- snack foods
-- non-electric can opener
-- cooking tools / fuel
-- paper plates / plastic utensils

Blankets / Pillows, etc.

Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes

First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs

Special Items - for babies and the elderly

Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes

Flashlight / Batteries

Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio

Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set

Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods

Keys

Toys, Books and Games

Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag
-- insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.

Tools - keep a set with you during the storm

Vehicle fuel tanks filled

Pet care items
-- proper identification / immunization records / medications
-- ample supply of food and water
-- a carrier or cage
-- muzzle and leash

--------------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"--Carl Sagan

Tincup
Member # 5829

HA!

One of you gets a gold star on this project so far...

The other one may have to go stand in the corner.

[lol]

Good ideas PM... and the list you found is good too. Thanks for researching it and sharing it.

The problem child said.. "Make that 3 energy bars. (yummm... chocolate and peanut butter!)"

I am happy that you added some supplies. A tooth brush is sure to come in handy. And that is the way to build a disaster kit and start a plan. One thing at a time. Helps defray costs too that way.

Adding A COUPLE THINGS A DAY OR EACH TIME YOU GROCERY SHOP- oops.. hit the caps button- sorry... will be easier on the budget... and will avoid the last minute cost and panic.

So keep up the good work!

[Big Grin]

Having been through disasters and because I've had to be ready to leave my home in advance to prep for upcoming disasters (disaster coordinator)... and because I don't have time for last minute things...

And because I forget.. which WILL happen before a disaster (like an approaching hurricane) because of the stress and "hurry up" put on us.. and the change in routine...

I made up some lists in the past that may add to what you found. I will dig them out perhaps... but off the top of my head... I thought of these things.

Tonight's comments will focus on water.

See next post...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

BTW- I post this topic and make suggestions because I want folks to be safe and because this is one of the few things I do know a little about.

And it is nice to not do Lyme, Lyme, Lyme all the darn time.

[lol]

I find it is necessary for me to have the check lists printed out and handy before hurricane season starts and during the season. Trying to remember all that can be done just doesn't get it for those with memory problems like me.

````````````````````````````````````````````````

You can't have too much water.

One gallon of water per person per day isn't really enough.. in my opinion. It also depends on what type of disaster... and if you will be at home, traveling, etc.. but water is always needed.

Top priority.

Keep in mind you will need water for...

Cooking foods (rice, instant this and that, oatmeal, etc)

Washing hands regularly (especially with no sanitary facilities, flooding, contaminated or busted water supplies after a storm or earth quake... this is important)

Washing cooking utensils, eating utensils and pots/pans, etc.

Water to wipe off tables and kitchen counters before and after eating.

Water for your toilets (temporary or fixed) to flush.

Water to bathe or for a "bird bath"- it will often be very hot and you may have no air conditioning or fans, which will make it very uncomfortable. I just heard some parts of the Gulf coast will not have electricity for 3 more weeks, at least... and another storm is approaching. Heat will make it very stressful for all... and stinky.

Diaper changing, feet washing, first aid for wounds, etc will also require water.

Drinking, mixing teas, powdered drinks, etc.

Taking medicines.

````````````````````````````````````````````````

Here are some suggestions... and again.. depending on the type of disaster you are preparing for... and where you will be.

Fill your washer with cold water. It can be used to flush toilets and wash some things. One of the first things I do when a hurricane is approaching is do all the laundry so there will be plenty of clean clothes/towels, etc.

Fill your bath tub- unless you may be in it (wind/tornadoes).

Fill coffee pots, pitchers, vases, pots that have lids, mop buckets, quart jars.

Water your indoor plants before a hurricane. They will appreciate it.... because in the rattled state you are in... you may forget and may not have a lot of water available.

Put buckets, barrels, etc under your rain gutter to collect rain water.

Fill a bunch of empty 2 liter soda bottles with clean water. Do one at a time before hand, as you empty them of soda, so you won't be caught short when the time comes. They also fit easily in a car trunk and aren't as heavy and awkward as a gallon milk jug to carry. The lids also fit tighter and the plastic is more durable.

Buy a case- per person- (cheap at the dollar stores) of bottled water for drinking. If not needed you can use it later.

Fill pets dishes with water... and have more for them stored away. If planning on using dry food... have extra water.

Fill sinks with water. Bathroom-shaving- hand washing, etc.

Clean out and fill trash cans with water if needed.

Fill spare coolers with ice or water.

If you freeze soda bottles that are 3/4 filled with water- (put tops on after they are frozen)... you can leave them in the freezer if the power is out and use them as ice blocks to help preserve food inside. They can also be put in the fridge just before a storm.

You can also use soda bottles that have frozen water inside in your coolers for ice. Then you can store water, drinks and your most used items (non-spoilable) in coolers. That way you aren't opening and closing the fridge door as much when the power is out. Once thawed, you have drinking water.

Be sure to have non-scented Clorox on hand too. I keep at least 2 gallons handy for clean up afterward (mold, flood water, etc) This can be used to disinfect your water supply.

If you want you can wet a few washcloths (I did this when back packing) and put them in zip lock bags. They can be used as a quick wipe if needed. Use them soon.. as they are nasty if they sit to long.

Any other water related ideas?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

LOL...Mel, you feel like sharing? [Big Grin] You made my tummy growl and all I have here are some stale rice cakes.
[lick]
TC, I guess I should have clarified the water amount.
I meant one gal. per day per person for drinking water.

Clorox dissenfectant wipes double as hand sanitizer and counter cleaner etc. If there is a whole sale store near you or somewhere you can buy in bulk that would be the way to go.

Also, Diaper wipes can be very useful and bought by the case too for fairly cheap ( unless your a brand name person).

Here's how to dissenfect drinking water:

From: http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oemergencypurifycalc.html

Liquid Clorox Bleach (Not promoting brand here, just never used generic for this purpose)

Assuming you have cloudy nasty water coming out of your pipes or your needing to use water run off from your roof;

Let water stand until particles settle. Filter the particles if necessary with layers of cloth or coffee filters.

Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the below indicated ratio. Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor.

If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops.

Bleach must be fresh for best use and results. See below suggestions for storage bottle replacement.

Don't pour purified water into contaminated containers. Sanitize water jugs first.

Without water and electricity, even everyday tasks are tough. In lieu of steaming hot water, sanitize dishes, pots and utensils with a little Clorox Bleach.

Just follow the directions below to keep dishes clean.

Whether you use Clorox Bleach in an emergency or for everyday chores, it's always an environmentally sound choice.

After its work is done, Clorox Bleach breaks down to little more than salt and water, which is acceptable anytime.

Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water

8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water

1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water

If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, rotate or replace your storage bottle minimally every three months.

Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution

To sanitize containers and utensils, mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water.

Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all really good ideas. I do have a little stock pile of stuff in the bottom of my pantry but I know it's not nearly enough.

When Katrina hit I wasn't prepared AT ALL - I had no idea a hurricane could come that far inland!

Now that I do know I'm better prepared - but like a said - still need more stuff.

Thanks for all the good ideas!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey PM...

You said...

"TC, I guess I should have clarified the water amount.
I meant one gal. per day per person for drinking water."

I know you meant that.. but to be sure others dod... just making sure. DOD? That must be the past tense of "did". HA!

Oh well...

I like and appreciate your Clorox tips... I almost posted "tops" for tips.. geeze!

Come on fingers... behave yourself!

And I agree on the name brand in this case too. Nice to know someone agrees with me on SOMETHING tonight... even if it is just a bottle of Clorox!

[lol]

And the hand wipes are good ideas too. I also keep a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol around.

I usually mix.. and DON'T get this mixed up with other water supply... mark it clearly with a magic marker...

Put a 1/2 bottle of rubbing alcohol in a gallon of water. This can be used to bathe with on a wash cloth... if not in sensitive areas. It is also good for using when you think you may have been exposed to poison ivy too. It cuts the oil that causes the skin problems, if used right away.

When camping I have this gallon jug mixture of water and alcohol by a wash bowl to rinse off my hands after washing them, especially after toilet use, and then before cooking or whatever.

It is cheaper than the wipes and it doesn't make me feel sticky or smelly like some wipes do.

Oh.. and one thing I forgot.

Remember the hot water heater can be used in an emergency for water. Just be sure not to drink it until it has cooled off!

[Big Grin]

Good work PM... and now where is Mel tonight?

HA! Probably hiding under the bed eating the rest of her energy bars!!!

[Razz]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey lymieL...

SO sorry you had to experience Katrina. Bless your heart.

Glad this might help.. and I hope others add their tips too.

In my pantry I keep extra cans of tuna, fruit, soup, beans, veggies, etc. I rotate them so they are fresh.

I suggest having some "comfort foods" too. Like cans of Pringles, peanuts, cashews, etc... and whatever... can't think of much right now... and I don't care much for chips.. but in an emergency... something you like can be comforting.

I may not have lights, water, or heat.. but I won't starve to death, that's for sure.

Everyone be safe.. and more class room suggestions later.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this post and I'm laughing. I had the same reaction as Melanie did after the quake jolt, like I should be more prepared. So, I thought, I have batteries, without the flashlight, so I went out and bought the flashlight. How's that for preparedness?! [Big Grin]
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Today I just want to send out my prayers and thoughts to those who were effected by the disaster in New York. [group hug]

This is one of those disasters that we truly cant be prepared enough for.

My love goes out to all who are still suffering, may peace come to you.  -

proudmom

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tent.

Seriously. One of the things that was highly requested after Hurricane Katrina was a tent.

Lots of things for survival can be found at your local camping store.

There are many relatively inexpensive ones that can house four people at a time.

P.S.

No, I don't have any connection to camping stores!!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that we'll have a test of emergency preparedness right here. since we're only 45 miles from the gulf and in the direct path of the center of Ike, so I've stocked up on....

gas for the generator

and beer.

Hurricane party anyone??

Charlie [Eek!]

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay seriously. [Frown]

Charlie praying for you in the path of Ike.

I went 37 days without electricity with Katrina.

Lost my house to a tornado which placed two 100ft trees through it.

My sisters live in Houston. Are they prepared?

Heck no.

These are some of the things which are very important.

Get important papers together (ie birth certificates, insurance, etc).

Keep in a plastic container along with pictures, keep sakes, etc.

Get refills on all meds.

Get propane for grill (we have no gas service here).

Flash lights and batteries.

Wash and dry all clothes now.

Run vacuum, dishwasher, etc.

Make sure you have the stuff to hand wash dishes, clothes, etc.

Clothes line and clothes pins. Like gold after Katrina.

Large pots to boil water in (sometimes necessary after a natural disaster).

Get personal items such as deoderant, toilet paper, etc.

Tons of diapers, formula, etc.

Get a plastic camping shower bag. Place water in it.

It is black and absorbs heat from the sun after the storm.

Can take a hot rinse off.

Get tons of can goods.

Make ice out of zip lock bags and placing them in your freezer.

Set your freezer to lowest setting about 24 hours before a storm.

Chain saw if applicable.

Extra gas for generators (gas stations can't run without electricity).

Then only emergency personnel were allowed gas for about 2 weeks. [Eek!]

A means of protecting your family (people will steal generators, gas, food to survive).

Cash. ATM's and debit card machines don't work without electricity.

Bug spray.

Blue tarps (like gold after a storm). [Frown]

Water, water, water. Ten times the amount you think you need.

You can take a contractor's bag and put it in a garbage can and fill with water.

Can fill bathtubs with water.

No fun to not have sewerage systems running.

Extra water to flush toilets is always a good thing.

A Carbon Monoxide alarm (if you are going to run a generator).

Phones won't work. So, let your family know where you are before the storm.

My sister's foolishly believe that they can leave 2-3 days after the storm.

To go find a place to stay with electricity.

After Katrina we were placed immediately under Marshal Law.

No one in. No one out.

No one to clear roads of downed power lines and trees and debris.

No 911 services available.

No cold food stuff in the groceries for about 2 weeks.

When stores did re-open it was on generator power.

You couldn't get milk, butter, ice, meat, fruit, fresh vegatables, etc.

A NOAA approved battery operated radio for any warnings (like tornado).

Make sure all debris is picked up.

It is so hard to explain what it was like after Katrina.

It was as if we had been transported to a 3rd world country.

No services of any kind.

We burned about 125 gallons of fuel for Gustave.

We were without electricity from Mon. @ 2:00pm till Thurs. @ 8:00pm.

For Katrina, (gas was cheaper) we burned over 3000.00 worth of gas.

My prayers to all of you who may experience a disaster.

They are survivable.

Just best to be prepared.

Remember to have a really good first aid kit too.

Just in case.

My husband got stung by about 100 yellow jackets after the storm.

Good thing I had benadryl handy.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Geneal....I've sat thru plenty of these starting with Carla in 1961...at least we're high enough here that there's no chance of rising water damage, and far enough inland that a storm tide isn't a problem.

Worst worry is huge oak trees right around the house. If nothing happens with them we'll be OK, everything here is built to withstand a cat 3.

Nothing to do now but go buy some batteries and wait.....we won't even put the patio furniture inside till it starts to blow...those storms often go somewhere else at the last minute.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Dear Charlie,

So glad you are prepared.

Our 7 live oak trees (75 yrs to 150 yrs) did just fine with Katrina.

It was the pine trees. [Eek!]

I may be wrong, but am starting to think this storm May turn N to NE prior to landfall.

It's a race. Ike or the ridge.

Problem is here, no one is really ready ('Cept me).

I went and replenished my supplies a few days ago.....just in case.

Sending prayers your way.

Keep us posted as long as you can....please.

Hugs,

Geneal

Tincup
Member # 5829

WOW!

These are some super-duper GREAT ideas!

I am sorry folks had to go through disasters in the past... but glad they are now preparing.

If you haven't ... PLEASE do!!!!

And the best protection of all... is to not be there.

I have a big back yard for campers if ever needed... just ask!

[Big Grin]

TENT!!! Yes... PERFECT!!! Good idea Siz.. one that I didn't relate to and would have missed.

And bug and mosquito protection is vital so that would be something to have handy.

G- Your list is wonderful! Thanks for spelling it all out there! I'm so sorry to hear about it all though.... so sad. But YOUR experience will certainly help others.

I am glad you have already prepared for Ike too... just in case! Last minute running around is too late... so I feel happier knowing you are on top of it.

Don't laugh.. but after being in the habit for so long to have to leave and batten down my own place early on to help others...

Well, even when I am 1,000 miles from the gulf coast... like now... the minute a hurricane forms...

I am at the store stocking up and making preparations.

And although I rarely need the stuff (it is used anyway to rotate food stock, etc).... thank goodness I haven't... it is there and it brings a sense of peace that I can survive weeks if not a couple months (I didn't say comfortably... but near as could be) without services.

Hang in there G... warm wishes your way.

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Muffinhead...

I hope you and Petunia do well! My prayers are headed your way. Heineken dark... warm or cold ain't at all bad, Pop a top for me.

[Big Grin]

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Robin 123...

My my... between you and Melanie...

We may have to have some after school detention until you get up to speed. HA!

But ONLY if we can keep you both from munching down on the food stock first!

Making a master list.. and getting a few things at a time from that master list when you get groceries makes it easier on the budget.

[Big Grin]

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Lymielauren..

Put wheels on it dear one... put wheels on it.

We want you safe and sound.

Well, on second thought... one out of two ain't bad!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet Melanie's only got two bars left...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:

Hahaha, make that 0 bars left. (but I do still have the antibacterial wipes!) [Smile]
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot one of the most important things:

DUCT TAPE

[Big Grin]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

For Lyme patients... I think you mean "duck tape"!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:
quote:

Hahaha, make that 0 bars left. (but I do still have the antibacterial wipes!) [Smile]
So how do they taste?
Robin123
Member # 9197

quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
For Lyme patients... I think you mean "duck tape"!

[lol]

To cover up any quacks?

(Oh, I'm in fine form tonite...)

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Soooooooo........  - Is class over?

I've been absent (yep minded) for the last couple of days.

proudmom  -

Tincup
Member # 5829

LOL .... Duck tape....

"To cover up any quacks?"

(Oh, I'm in fine form tonite...)

[lol]

There goes my mouthful of oatmeal across my computer screen!

Thanks Robin! Got a mop?

[lol]

And PM.. Your little foot-stomper reminds me of the paper clip man on microsoft word.

I won't tell you what I did to him after the first 2 minutes of him giving me the evil eye and trying to correct me when I was typing!!!

Let's just say it wasn't pretty! Talk about disaster! OH MY!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Proudmom, class is not over, since all the folks who went through the recent hurricane need to come back and tell us what they learned about preparedness. Maybe they'll all vote for generators next time. Plus Charlie's favorite kind o' beer?

And TC, today's preparedness PSA:

***WARNING***: reading the internet during mealtime could be hazardous to your screen. Please monitor your activities accordingly.

Maybe you could borrow one of Melanie's wipes?

I think Carol in PA started it all. Carol, what do you have to say for yourself?

[ 16. September 2008, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Carol, what do you have to say for yourself?

Heh, nuttin' honey.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, preparedness means needing to heed to your particular 'hazards' in your geographic area.

Ice storms can reek havoc in the north, whereas heat can cause problems in the south.

Lack of energy seems to be the biggest problem all around...in more ways than one!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I will start a kit too. I'll let you know how I am progressing.

So far I have the backpack to put things in.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

quote:
Originally posted by sizzled:
Hmmm, preparedness means needing to heed to your particular 'hazards' in your geographic area.

Ice storms can reek havoc in the north, whereas heat can cause problems in the south.

I've got the solution! [bonk] All we need to do is have hazards exchanges between appropriate areas. Like, the north can export ice to the south and the south can send heat north.

I don't think anywhere will take our earthquakes tho, unless they want to do some building demolition cheaply.

Hope you don't mind my kiddin', Sizzled!

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forest fires are a concern here
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 6 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, I don't mind you kidding me at all, Robin.

Welcome it, actually. [Big Grin]

Robin123
Member # 9197

Good. Then you'll be pleased to know that for a while we had a citizens group, Californians for Earthquake Prevention. People paid dues, went to meetings, and prevented the big one successfully every day.
RJPII
Member # 5876

Icon 11 posted      Profile for RJPII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tincup for good thread and a wake up call for me. It is saved in my favs. I have two two year olds and do not have a plan laid out of any form. I have to get one done though.
Bob

Posts: 77 | From Morris County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Irene's approach.

I am evacuating so I won't be here to "bug" you all about being prepared.

Final word...

If you have to wonder if you should evacuate, then just do it. Don't think twice.

Head out ASAP to avoid traffic. Keep in mind, 55 million people will be impacted by this storm. Don't be one of them, please.

Be smart and be safe!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There IS an advantage to living in Missouri after all!! Used to live along the Gulf Coast. Remember running from hurricanes several times. As dear charlie said.. it all began with Hurricane Carla in '61.

Still miss charlie!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preparedness checklist from the American Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/pdf/Preparedness/checklists/Hurricane.pdf

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I learned from loss of electricity in Hurricane Hugo in 1989:
In your upright freezer, put dense, more expensive items like meat at the bottom. Less expensive, less dense items near the top.

Then fill lots of containers (small to half gallon size) with water and fill all the empty spaces in the freezer. The solid ice will help keep foods cold longer. Added advantage is cold water to drink when you thaw a container. With no AC, a drink of cool water would have been wonderful. The heat and humidity were terrible.

We were lucky. Our power was back after only 3 or 4 days.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cbb:

Then fill lots of containers (small to half gallon size) with water and fill all the empty spaces in the freezer. The solid ice will help keep foods cold longer. Added advantage is cold water to drink when you thaw a container. With no AC, a drink of cool water would have been wonderful. The heat and humidity were terrible.

-

Excellent idea!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly packed up and ready to leave. And have home prep done, as some folks will be staying here... yes, the stupid ones.

You won't believe this....

I contacted a county government place today to ask where emergency shelters were located in that specific county so I could let others know.

They said they were not going to tell me. I said, "what?"

They said they won't tell the public because they are afraid someone might get there before they get there to unlock the doors.

HELLO? That makes NO sense at all.

I can not believe they are doing that. The ONE thing that people need to do is be prepared. The LAST thing they should be doing is hiding the location of the emergency shelter locations.

They will tell the public (by radio announcement like school closings on Saturday evening- but that won't be until AFTER the roads are nearly impassable, dark and VERY crowded.

It is NOT smart to hide the locations, especially hiding them from those IN the path of a hurricane, who are living at or just above sea level, and ON the water.

There are only 3 roads to get out of here for millions of people in Del-Mar-Va. All three include bridges and/or tunnels that close down in gusty winds- winds much lighter than what this hurricane will bring.

Again, I say... HELLO? Talk about dangerous! Geeze!

Anyhow, you all stay safe and everyone PLEASE report in here as soon as you can so we don't worry forever and ever.

Ok?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

That goes for you too, Ms TC - to report in -

This was a useful thread to read through again, fun at times - missing Charlie...

All the best to everyone - I think it's called getting out of Dodge -

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((Hey Tin- Glad to see that you are prepared for Irene- have been thinking of you. Wasn't the earthquake some-ding else? What's next for us- locusts??!!!))))

We inland-ers are getting prepared for losing power and laying bets on which trees are going to come down, as both those problems seem probable if not inevitable.

Stay safe, fellow east-coasters!

Dill (who thinks of Charlie often anyway, but especially during hurricane season).

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this isn't the year of the locusts. An earthquake and a hurricane seem to be enough.

[Eek!]

Stay safe and be well!

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Be safe, Tincup .. and everyone else!!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hope everyone is safe!

Back home. Electric just got back on. Many still without. Many still displaced. Loss of life here in nearby town unfortunately. Some injuries.

Corn wiped out. Soybeans, eh? Trees down, broken glass. Blocked roads still.

Will be off line doing clean up for a good while. Family is still displaced, assisting them and others.

Be safe during the clean up!!!

Later gators...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Nice to see you back - what a mess - been looking at the pics -
Tincup
Member # 5829

Schools are still closed in many areas. Some folks not able to get home. Power still out in a number of areas.

Our local stats...

13 inches of rain during the hurricane (10 inches prior to this storm)

16,000 structures were without power

Winds got up to 78 mph sustained, with 92 mph gusts

There was one reported weather related death

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

There are still a few months left for hurricane season. If you don't have things ready you can work on it now.

There are two more storms "brewing" in the tropical areas as I write this.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget a plastic container for important papers and documents like, passport,birth certificates, 401k, bank info and those important test results.
Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a phone with a cord that doesnt need electric. for irene we briefly lost electric but still had the phone line.

for those with mcs -

have a mcs mask ready to go (washed and adjusted or refills if thats how yours works) and an extra mask would be great.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

It brings smiles and tears to read these older posts. But, it is that time of year again. I want everyone ready, and reporting in on what they have done.

And while you are thinking- I know it is rare- check your batteries for your smoke detectors too! And I want to know everyone has a fire extinguisher!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wil open your link above in a minute, but my husband is getting us ready. he just got a portable water purifyer. and we have a crank radio- wanna get a crank flashlight. and I would like to get some seeds. he also got some emergency food that lasts like 20 years or something. I am thinking it will taste yucky

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
speaking of disasters...

a friend that lives in California once told me that (after she experienced her 1st majorearthquake) everyone should keep a 'run out of the house' outfit right next to the bed. sweats, socks, etc. so that you aren't outside in the middle of the street in your undies- or worse!!! haha

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Lisa, sounds like you hubby is trying. Just hope you don't have to use that food 2o years from now! HA! Tell him he is a good guy for being prepared.

And the run out clothes are a great idea!

I don't know if you have had to use a crank radio or flashlight before. They can get VERY tiresome in a short time. IMO, I don't want to have to focus on and work that hard to try to get and keep a light working in an emergency just to be able to see.

I have a flashlight that you shake to get it working now. That really sucks too. You shake it hard for two minutes and get 3 seconds of flickering weak light. Hard on wrists and arm muscles.

And if injured you really don't want to have to try to keep a flashlight going. Not recommended.

I prefer a good high LED flashlight. And it will cost you initially, but it is worth it in an emergency. When you have a need for a flashlight, you need to be able to see!

Oh, and there are round battery operated lights you put in closets and dark spaces. I have about 2o of them I`ve collected over the years.

I keep one at the head of the bed and a couple in each room so I don't trip and fall trying to get to the flashlights when a storm knocks out the electricity.

Every room has a light in at least one corner of the room, to the right as your enter. When needed I can lean on the walls to feel my way to a corner and know a light is there waiting.

My favorite though, new for me, are these little battery operated motion detector lights. They turn themselves off when not in use to save the batteries. Light is very bright and you can hang them in rooms where you may need them at any time.

http://tiny.cc/t53qyx

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hurricane season officially starts today. Get ready!

As I say that I just ate some of my stash for dinner. End of the month, not much else to eat or money to buy stuff.

Oh well!

But, I did start filling gallon water bottles yesterday. How about you?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For those who don`t know I am the safety girl
 -

Tincup didn't tell you the whole story how she became the safty girl.

Well, as you can see above I saved her life, twice, and now she wants to help others.

I'm prode of you tincup, you keep up the good work!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Tincup, my husband is not preparing for a hurricane. we don't get them here too often. he is getting ready for "the end".

:/

so a crank on anything could save your life if your world is covered in ash (from Yellowstone's Volcano ), held hostage (from terrorists), plagued and paralyzed from disease, or just post apocalypse. this is how he thinks. he just got a directory showing all the edible and poisonous plants. I dn't know which is worse- wondeirng when I will die from lyme, or wondering when the world will end! just call our home "stress house".

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Steve

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

-

Steve

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a fite extinguisher but i have no idea how to use it

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

mee too kayak. I did look at it before a few times to see directions, but if it came to an actual need to use it I would probably have no clue.

the directions should be right on the canister, no?

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hope you both learned about fire extinguisher use by now. If not, and even if you have, please watch this 2 minute video. It is important. (Plus I had to watch 8 videos to pick the best one for you - so you owe me one.) ~smile~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z2C13gJh-g

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

I want to hear reports. Are you prepared yet?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in tornado land. I have one of those chargers for cell phone that you don't need to plug in to charge the phone (as long as you charge it in advance). Very helpful.

Swiss army knife in my emergency kit along with first aid stuff etc.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8878 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I love my phone charger! I use it on trips.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

This is my weekend to do the final prep. Mostly ready, but need to do the store water thing (clean out containers and make new ones) and put other dry stuff in a container in one place to take if I have to go- and I DO go.

Tornadoes hiker. So frightening. Being a weather nut I follow them closely. No need to watch scary movies when you have pics of live tornadoes!

The cell phone charger? Is that the kind you plug in the lighter in the car to charge your phone or something different?

Oh, and no emergency kit is completely ready till you have a good fishing pole and some tackle in it. (Got a new pole and additional tackle for Mother's Day, along with some mosquito dunks and a new cook pot that I have been needing).

So yes, Maddog- you've tormented me enough with those reports of HUGE sizes and numbers of fish! I can't take it any more!

Watch out cause I'm up right on your heels buddy. Let the fishing contest begin!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an ifrog charger in addition to my regular charger. You plug it in several days prior to bad weather and then it lasts a long time.

Then you use it to charge your phone when the power is out. Mine also has a flashlight on it. You can get 4 or so phone charges out of the ifrog. I am sure there are other brand names for androids etc.

Sounds silly, but as soon as I know a tornado is around I grab my fanny pack and put in the iphone, ifrog, my wallet and passport. Wallet has medical info in it, too.

That's important--to make sure you have a list of medications/supplements you take with you in case of emergency. I always have a week's supply of my seizure meds in the fanny pack, too.

And of course the Swiss army knife has a bottle opener on it for the beer I will need to drink to calm my nerves [Razz]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8878 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement