LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Dr W

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr W
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caseyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this has been posted, i didn't see it.

Dr. W has 2 months to close his practice :-(

--------------------
Casey
1/7/10-Diagnosed with Lyme but got it in July 2008 and possibly 15 plus years ago
http://www.crazylyme.com

Posts: 105 | From Aubrey, Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH CR**!!!

Can he continue to practice medicine?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caseyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure. His nurse didn't know all the details yet as she hasn't had much time to talk to him. she is doubling as the receptionist today as well. Between patients and dealing with all of the calls she hasn't gotten more info than he closes in 2 months

--------------------
Casey
1/7/10-Diagnosed with Lyme but got it in July 2008 and possibly 15 plus years ago

Posts: 105 | From Aubrey, Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh S____T.

what happened? was he fined or something? who really ratted on him? i heard it was a po'd husband who didn't believe in lyme?

what the hell is going on here guys?

what are we supposed to do?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the situation is but does he know some states are not persecuting LLMDs anymore? I believe they include NY and RI.
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

I have no idea what to do next. I do get to see him one more time, I have an appt in 2 weeks.

--------------------
Casey

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say start a post in Activism about getting together to get a state bill going to protect the doctors.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a post in Activism already.. asking .. What now!?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i hope the jerk that caused this is happy and realizes how much pain and suffering they have caused.

i'd like to give the idiot a piece of my mind.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PattiTexas
Member # 26096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PattiTexas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is this dr. w in ____????

** Moderator's note - city names are not allowed **

[ 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 2 | From Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yep, most of the lymies in texas go to him, i think.

--------------------

JS in OK
Member # 24526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JS in OK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an appointment Thurs with him. He has been treating me since March. I have completed 28 days of Iv and Riframpin. I was doing great, but symptoms are ramping up again. I am just sooo upset and have no Idea where to go from here. I am hoping Dr W will tell where to go from here.
Posts: 39 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

hey js, can you please ask him what the hell happened? was it a lyme patient that did this? what are we supposed to do? is he going to out of medicine completely or what?

--------------------

Diana 85
Member # 23929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana 85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. W is going to retire.

Another post - Canefin?? said "He's gone in 2 months.
We have to get our folders and Dr W's gonna help us find new doctors, be put on a protocol/plan, etc etc
Sad news for Dr W who is 64 yrs old."

My daughter wants to write a letter to have at his office that everyone can sign to send to the legislature.

Posts: 43 | From The South | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For anyone about to get married: be sure your spouse-to-be is aware that you are the person who needs to make your own decisions about medical care and that interference in that is akin to a broken vow.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

keebler, hon, what in the heck are you saying?

you mean like a husband interferring with a wife's treatment? i don't know what texas law is on husbands.

if you are not legally married YET, a fiancee cannot make legal decisions on your behalf. interfere, hell yes, but make legal decisions, no.

i never discussed my doc with michael and he didn't even know who i was going to, period!!

if i had a SO or fiancee and he did something like call my doctor or something, he'd find himself to the curb in a new york minute!!

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As I understand it, this problem started because a husband did not like (or fully understand details of) his wife's treatment choices and made trouble for the LLMD. That's what I meant.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The couple want to have a kid but dr W advised against it.

He recommended they wait until she finished roughly 12-18 months of treatment so the baby can hopefully avoid Lyme and/or Lyme-related illnesses.

It's amazing how one person(the husband) can impact so many lives.

He didn't believe that his wife needed to take all of dr burrascanos recommended supplements. He thought dr W was trying to make money off of them.

Most ironic thing in all of this... The woman had been to 2-3 different doctors and never got better.
Dr W said she was recovering very well and had her at, roughly, 80%

** moderator's note, doctor's names are not allowed **

[ 05-26-2010, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

OMG!!! does this idiot realize tho what he has done? i mean, does he feel vindicated because he got a doctor to quit? does he even realize that others have been getting better? did he even believe in lyme.

MORON!!!

i bet he feels very proud of himself. he won, big man...

what's going to happen when she goes downhill and perhaps gets critically ill? will he even get her appropriate treatment, or better yet, maybe she'll be put on steroids. oh that will help.

i would think that marriage is headed for trouble big time.

i'm from texas and i would like to string him up...really....

--------------------

Diana 85
Member # 23929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana 85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hope a baby does not have to pay the price for a father's stupidity.
Posts: 43 | From The South | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sickening.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

I too want to give this guy a piece of my mind. This is just ridiculous.

--------------------
Casey

SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I told my husband about Dr W. he got real upset and wondered aloud (only half jokingly) if the poor excuse of a husband could be sued by the rest of us lymies and their spouses.

Obviously, we won't actually be suing, but he was definitely NOT happy with this guy. Not happy about having to find me a new doc, either. =*(

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, I would actually look into whether there is any way to sue either the Texas Medical Board, or the horrible husband . . . don't know, but it's worth looking into (class action suit).

Short of that, I don't understand why the dr didn't put up a big legal fight and appeal the decision?? surely, it's not too late for an appeal. I would say, investigate, and organize. Don't let the Medical Board get away with this!

When will this witch hunt end?! Only when enough of us stand up and insist that it ends! The trouble is, we're all wounded warriors. But it's the only way it will happen.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will there even be a baby after this? If my husband did this, I would be re-thinking the whole baby idea.

I had some sympathy for the husband, when I thought maybe he was seriously concerned about his wife's health. It does take a lot of adjusting to disregard conventional medicine. If the complaint was over the doctor making $ off from supplements, that is a different story. I wonder if he realizes what he has done.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

personally, i think there's more to it.

i bet he doesn't believe in lyme at all, thinks his wife is faking it, and this is a control issue.

this makes him a big man and he can say to his wife "see, he went out of business. i knew all this lyme stuff was fake."

this marriage ain't gonna make it, guarantee....

and dr w never, ever offered me any supplements. he suggested a book, that's all.

i wonder if anybody here knew who it was. i hope it was not one of our posters.

--------------------

Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

I feel for the wife. I hope she is getting some sort of treatment

--------------------
Casey

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So on what grounds did the Medical Board take his license away? Is there press on it somewhere?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

if you goggle his name, it will come up with a site where you can rate this doctor.

i wrote positive comments and rated him excellent.

don't know that it will help tho.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by SmurfyMom:
[QB] When I told my husband about Dr W. he got real upset and wondered aloud (only half jokingly) if the poor excuse of a husband could be sued by the rest of us lymies and their spouses.

Sounds good to me!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I talked to Dr W on the phone last night, he said that what he wants us all to do is write letters to our legislators and tell our stories.

The problem is still the IDSA guidelines.

Dr W He said until the legislature is changed, the situation won't really change for any of us.

He was expecting this to happen, which is very sad. He knows that we are all having trouble with this.

His office is closing on July 30th, so anyone who is a patient of his will hopefully be able to get in to him one more time, and they are going to give patients copies of their records (some places charge, but they aren't).

I for one find this whole thing very depressing.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'd like to suggest one thing that may seem minor or even offensive but it's not meant that way at all.

When writing letters (or even replying on web sites to articles, etc), I think it is best to avoid using the term "Lymie" at all. I know many here use it as a term of endearment but, to outsiders, it can actually be interpreted - or used - in a demeaning tone.

We're not in some social clubs, we're not "roomies" or pledges to a sorority, etc . . . and it can sound like that, cutesy.

Lyme patients (or those with lyme) have had a very hard time being treated with the respect they deserve. I think the use of the term "Lymie" undermines all efforts to take this to a level of complete respect regarding some very serious medical matters.

You wouldn't hear cancer patients calling themselves "Cancies" or TB patients "TBies", etc. . . . As HIV and AIDS patients were trying to obtain respect - had they been called "AIDSies" - it might have held them back.

When I mentioned this to someone else, she conveyed a similar situation for breast cancer patients - women only - who got Teddy Bears at their first chemo. She was insulted and did some observation about this for a while. Kind and nurturing treatment is one thing but that Teddy Bear seemed to put the women in a child-like box. The men with prostrate cancer got no Teddy Bears and were treated more like adults.

It may be that "Lymie" sounds so harsh to me is that it rhymes with "Blimey" used in the UK - not a descriptive term that too many people would want used about them. I'm seeing "Lymie" used more and more lately and its use can boomerang our efforts for respect right back into our faces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blimey

Blimey: A minced oath (also pseudo-profanity or expletive-deletive) is an expression based on a profanity . . . .
-

[ 05-27-2010, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

randibear
Member # 11290

keebler, i know you mean well, adn i understand.

but for me, when i'm sick i need coddling and i sure would have appreciated a teddy bear.

but that's just me. i still have my collection from when i was a little girl.

and i think we all know how to write letters and sound like the intelligent patients we are.

i know i have had doctors who said bluntly "this what you have." period, no information, no compassion, no understanding, nothing. and i hated them for it.

i would much rather have someone like w who understands and will talk to us and treat us with respect.

and if anyone wants to send me a bear, i'll gladly take it.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Keeb is right about the Lymie thing. I used to use it all the time here.. Now I try to remember to say "Lyme patients."

Get after those government officials, Texans!! [rant]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, Keebler, do you mean strike the term "Lymie" altogether, or just don't use it outside our own support community?

I agree it should most definitely not be used when writing letters, etc, but I'm not sure if you are saying we shouldn't even use it here or on Facebook, LymeFriends, etc.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, this is a public forum and others come here to learn about lyme. Whatever they learn here they may repeat outside of this forum. Nicknames do travel.

It's just something to consider. Of course, it's an individual's preference but since it's just so hard for those with lyme to be seen with respect it was just something that comes to mind if, out there in the world, we all have this nickname.

It was hard enough with (prior) CFS dx and it was called the "Yuppie Flu" - that did not work well for patients at all.

While "Lymie" - here - has a different origin and intent when used here, it just doesn't translate the same to the public, or to doctor's offices and may bounce back to hit a very nice person right between the eyes when they least expect it or don't understand the politics and lack of respect out there in the world. A lyme patient - or a person with lyme - deserves the utmost respect. That respect can start (or end) with how they are addressed.
-

hhoskins72
Member # 26190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hhoskins72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How awful! I had no idea!
Dr. W has been my LLMD for 3 years and he is the best doc I have ever had. Period.
This makes me sick!

Posts: 33 | From Texas | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His office called us today to tell us that we can go pick up our records for free or have them mailed for 15.00. Since we're six hour round trip we're having them mailed.

In case you haven't been called or notified, you might want to make sure you get your records from him prior to July 31.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this was an honest and upright board, one moron husband would not have been able to do this to a good doctor. It is the same situation as in CT,which has a law supposedly protecting lyme doctors, but continues to persecute Dr. J, mostly based on husbands with custody battles in divorces.

The problem is the board.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement