LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » OMG!!! 3 grand for dental work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OMG!!! 3 grand for dental work
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am absolutely shocked. well there goes any vacation money or money to help my sister.

i thought i just broke a crown, but oh no, the dentist said it was a three unit permanent bridge.

i broke the last tooth section off and one tooth has a hole in the middle, so he has to replace the entire bridge.

now instead of using porcelin he's going to use some kind of dental metal. i said i was beyond vanity and who cares, just make it cheap.

i'll have to have two more appts. one on monday to take off the old bridge and take fittings for the new bridge. then another appt on september 9th to put on the new bridge, fill the tooth, etc.

oh yeah, right, 3 grand. well at least i can make payments.

they're going to submit to bc/bs but everybody knows they won't pay a cent.

i really didn't need this....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holey moley. SO sorry to hear this. I fear the day that someone needs dental work.

I just dont have that kind of money.

I pray that it is cheaper for you.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
egads, i know. i told them to call 911 because i was having a heart attack.

man, i'm in shock....3 grand, 3 GRAND!!!!

OH MY HEART!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hugs

I am so sorry. Can you get another estimate somewhere else?

I also think there is a credit card called care credit that you can use at some dentist offices and vets.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i've beenn going to this dentist for about 20 odd years. he's the best in this area and i trust him.

oh well at least they are willing to take payments. some don't at all.

--------------------

cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's about the going rate for that type of dental work around here in lovely New Jersey.

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain. I've had some extensive dental work lately myself, root canals pulled and cavitations.

The bills are killing us.

At least he is willing to do payments. There are plenty of them out there who won't.

Still, the 'sticker shock' is bad enough.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar estimate for some dental work. When I heard the price I decided to get another opinion, from my nephew, who happens to be a highly regarded dentist. He asked me a bunch of questions, looked at the x-ray and said I didn't need all they wanted to do.

So I decided to go to another local dentist for a second opinion. I went in and told them nothing about what either dentist had told me, just that I was getting a second opinion.

That dentist said almost verbatim what my nephew told me. I went with him., and really like him and his staff.

My dentist for 30 years recently retired. My new one is younger than me, a good idea at my age!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear,

So sorry to hear this!

Question though: what kind of metal? And do you already have metal in your mouth? If it has mercury---no! If not, but you already have a different metal in your mouth, that's not good health-wise either. It can set up radio waves in your mouth.

Second opinion? Sounds like a good idea. Whew!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

unfortunately, you can look in my mouth and see the broken section in the back. this was a three unit bridge and i've broken the entire back section off exposing the tooth underneath.

looks like i'll just charge it on my mc. that way i can control the payments at least.

you always think you're getting ahead and then BAM!!

--------------------

organictexan
Member # 27653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for organictexan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned recently that you have to be very careful about what you have placed in your mouth. Paid $500.00 for a gold crown on a molar because I kept breaking the porcelain crown by grinding, or so that's what the dentist said. So anyhow I shell out the money for the gold crown and then developed an infection in that root canal a couple of months later. Most important thing I learned is that you should avoid getting a root canal like the plague as regardless if there are no symptoms, there is always an infection going on in a root canal and those bacteria etc cause systemic diseases. Second most important thing I found out was while the dentist may have touted this as a "gold crown" the biological dentist said that I should find out what percentage is gold and what percentage are "other metals." She said typically other metals are used on all types of dental work and contain nickel which is a neurotoxin. So beware of what you put in your mouth. As for this tooth, I'm having it extracted by an oral surgeon. Won't every get another root canal!
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james34.htm

Posts: 15 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear, if your going ahead with this treatment with him, it may be better for you to do the payment plan through the office.

Putting it on your mastercard may be convenient, as you're not going to be getting another bill, but you will have the interest charges.

Those will almost certainly be higher from the credit card company than from a private office that will probably charge lowers fees for a payment plan.

Something to think about.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i had a root canal done and yes it got infected.

i went to this other doctor because stupidly mike doesn't like dr. h, so i caved and went to his friend's dentist.

well, i went on vacation to albuquerque and my face was so swollen i was miserable. i got back to dr. h, and he threw a complete fit. i had to go to an oral surgeon who ended up tearing it out and scraping the bone, it was so bad.

i was really sick.....

so i never, ever want to go through that again.

but unfortunately i've sharp points right now sticking up from that cap where i broke it.

hey, my mc is the best bet right now, cause i need cash to go to my sister's house and will be gone two weeks.

at least with the mc, i can make partial payments but if take 3 grand out of my checking we're sunk for the month and i asked the dentist today about payments.

they want half in one month and half the next. some payments huh?

so i'd rather just bite the bullet and charge the damn thing.

--------------------

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Randibear. That just stinks!

It makes me thankful for dental insurance.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second opinions can be good however, you have to go where your comfortable.

Twice I've had two different dentistis tell me my daughter whose 13 has cavities and she didn't although your case is very different.

You could get a referral from friends to get a second opion.

Best of luck. So sorry to here about the price tag.

I just had to pay an attorney $4,000.00 regarding a custody case last week. I feel your pain.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry about your situation kid. It's a bummer that bc/bs won't help much. Hang in, hang on!

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out Golden Rule for economical and GOOD dental insurance.

www.goldenrule.com

I've been really happy with them. It's costing us about $30 each per month.

[ 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snaps
Member # 25104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with organictexan. be careful what you let them put in your mouth!

there are holistic dentists in your area if you want that second opinion, especially about the metal issue. you don't want to create a bigger problem than you already have.

good luck!

Posts: 23 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement